HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Feb 26, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #5,566 of 6,628
What are others experiencing for battery-life running balanced out?
Playing FLAC/mp3, no streaming, wifi and bluetooth antennas turned off, and very little screen time and no other background apps running. Also very few other apps even installed and running on Android 8.

Before when using a 3.5mm TRS unbalanced cable, I was getting great battery life, generally in the ~8-10 hours range per charge if I extrapolate.
Now, I seem hard pressed to get just a few hours. Any ideas?
Same setup 6-7 hours.

Feb 26, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #5,569 of 6,628
Thanks to both of you.

It was a pretty drastic reduction going from the line out or 3.5mm to the 2.5mm balanced. Listend to a couple of albums at work, paused it for a little bit, and turned it back on to find 3% remaining. Started listening from 70%.

Going to try the new update and see if that helps. Also delete any apps I can but really only have like 4 things installed.

Feb 26, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #5,570 of 6,628
Our techs would like to know what is the make and model of your car or its head unit to see if they can do something about it in software :)

I was waiting for my new microSD from Samsung to arrive to test it better to see if it made any difference.

But it didn't change much, I made some tests using my Philips BT7900B Sound Speaker as well. For my car and my sound speaker, the sound just crops and stutters a lot.

There seems to be a weird behavior going on, for example, when I clear all the settings for Bluetooth devices and start over all the connections, the sound works normally using USB Audio Player Pro for a while, but as time goes on, it seems to get worse or start stuttering, specially after using TIDAL for a while. I'm still on Android 6, maybe I'll try updating soon.

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #5,571 of 6,628
Yes. Painfully slow download. Dunno why.
Downloaded in a short time for me, might've been a server hiccup when you downloaded it. Installing now, I'll post if I notice anything weird.

Feb 27, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #5,572 of 6,628
Downloaded in a short time for me, might've been a server hiccup when you downloaded it. Installing now, I'll post if I notice anything weird.

I had same issue, took me 2-3 hours to download the 44mb update. Unfortunately still having the issue where downloaded tidal masters tracks play at half bandwidth. Getting 44.1k instead of 88.2, and 48k instead of 96k. Streaming 96k works fine, so I'm debating redownloading those tracks yet again to see if that fixes it.

Feb 27, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #5,573 of 6,628
Joe,

I've been in contact with Tidal regarding their latest upgrade that seems to have broken the MQA support of their Masters downloads (as reported by cursive in the thread above)

Unfortunately Tidal were unable to resolve the issue and referred me to Hiby support as Hiby makes the software that interfaces with Tidal. Are you able to shine any light on this, is this a problem you guys or Tidal are aware of and is there anything in the pipeline to rectify it.

Unfortunately I rely on downloads quite heavily as the wifi is a bit flakey on my R6

I have asked Tidal for android devices that haven't been affected by the recent upgrade as I think this is an issue with the app itself, but as yet they haven't obliged me

Any info would be much appreciated

Regards,

Malc

Feb 27, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #5,574 of 6,628
Well, I still have an R6 with me as parting gift from the company. Thought it might be interesting to update it to 8.1 myself. My update went pretty much all according to plan but I tried to document it as much as possible anyway:

1. What you’ll need
a. HiBy R6 (on any version of firmware) well charged
b. The (1) (2) and (3) zip files downloaded from here: https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...z7uL12kmlkGFJKsiJ5NM-TNuQB_nYtfbvxX92ZOvskr1s . There’s also a “Manual V1.0.pdf” but I struggle to understand its contents and HiBy will direct all people with questions to disregard this manual…
c. A windows computer RUNNING ON TEST MODE. Inside the (2) zip there is a batch script in testmode_bat called testmode_open.bat to put your computer into test mode, but the actual things required to actually put your computer into test mode varies by computer. Do not try to proceed, until you have something like these letterings on the lower right corner of your desktop: . Google "Windows (your version) Test Mode"​

2. What to do—pre-installation:
a. Right click on each zip file and select Extract All… to a common directory you can easily refer to. FROM HERE ON REFERENCES TO dir(1), dir(2) and dir(3) refer to the extracted contents of the 3 zips respectively. YOU MUST EXTRACT the zips and NOT try to use the contents of the compressed files directly.
b. Run Setup.exe in dir(1). Press Next or Install in answer to everything. The only thing you have to change from default is from “I do not agree…” to “I agree with the license agreement…” to light up a Next button.
c. If prompted to restart your computer, restart the computer as directed.​

3. What to do—connection:
a. Connect the R6 to the computer using a good USB cable (no intermittent connections please!) while powered OFF. Wait until the HiBy logo passes and the charge animation shows up. Then press and hold the volume + and – buttons, then, while still holding those two buttons, start holding the power button as well. (Official instruction is simply to press and hold these three buttons at the same time. But if you press the power button before the volume buttons are held down, the device may not enter the right mode.) If successful, the R6 screen should flash the logo quickly and then go completely dark. Now you may release all buttons.
b. On your computer, press the windows key and type Device Manager and then enter. In Device Manager, look for the following (if your computer is in English):
and clicking on the arrow to the left should reveal: where ? is a random COM port number. If you do not see this, or the device that appears reads as anything else (in particular it must read “9008” and not any other number), I don’t know what to do because I haven’t had the unluck to come across the situation personally and so haven’t had the chance to decipher what the manuals have to say on the matter…​

4. What to do—setup:
a. Go into dir(2) (as per step 2a) and run QCOM_MultiDnload(Inner)(SMT)(vc10).exe .
b. Your Win10 computer may refuse to run the program. There no “run anyway” or “yes” button in this screen that I forgot to capture the only time it appeared. You click on the highlighted text that says “read more…” or something like that to reveal the “run anyway” link.
c. After a HiBy logo, this is what you *should* see:
If instead the window looks cut off, it has been reported (by Howard Sto on Facebook HiBy User Group) that changing the high DPI settings thusly should help:
(right click on the program name->choose Properties->choose Compatibility tab->tick Run this program as an administrator, then click Change high DPI settings…
Click OK on all windows when done. (and close and rerun the app)​

5. What to do—flash proper
a. Go back to Device Manager and look at this again:
Note the number after “COM”. If you could find this before but can’t find it now, it may be because the Download mode on the R6 has some kind of timeout. Disconnect the R6, hold the power button for 15 seconds until it restarts and boots into Android, turn it off again, connect to the computer again, wait for battery animation to show up, hold volume +, - and power button together again to enter download mode again. Look for the pictured COM number again.

b. In this screen,
clip_image011.jpg

click “software version” and navigate to your dir(3) (as per step 2a) and from there go into 8917_bin and then msm8917. Select msm8917 and press OK.

c. Make sure that one and only one of the 16 checkboxes on the left is ticked, then click the dropdown box “COMxx” to its right and select the COM number that’s the same as seen in step 5a.

d. Press Start to its right. The progress bar in the middle will go to 100% several times and then start moving slowly. At the end the light to its right should turn green and your R6 should reboot into the new OS.

Joe Bloggs, I want to give you a huge thank you for these instructions. I recently purchased the Hiby R6 ss and was trying to update to oreo and couldn't follow the Hiby video after I got through the first folder. I read your instructions and got it updated on the first try. It was very well explained and easy to follow. Keep up the good work Joe.

Feb 28, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #5,576 of 6,628
Joe,

I've been in contact with Tidal regarding their latest upgrade that seems to have broken the MQA support of their Masters downloads (as reported by cursive in the thread above)

Unfortunately Tidal were unable to resolve the issue and referred me to Hiby support as Hiby makes the software that interfaces with Tidal. Are you able to shine any light on this, is this a problem you guys or Tidal are aware of and is there anything in the pipeline to rectify it.

Unfortunately I rely on downloads quite heavily as the wifi is a bit flakey on my R6

I have asked Tidal for android devices that haven't been affected by the recent upgrade as I think this is an issue with the app itself, but as yet they haven't obliged me

Any info would be much appreciated

Regards,

Malc
Sorry, I don't really know what might be the problem here. Other than the sample rate indicator on the notification shade, does the TIDAL app otherwise indicate when it's playing an MQA file, does this indication light up when playing the offline file that should be MQA?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 28, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #5,578 of 6,628
R6 android 8.1 update is not OTA. Hiby downloads 3 zip files requiring user manual install. I have had problems with driver not installing with Windows 7 and 10. Others report no problems. Good luck R6 still good DAP.
There were 2 more updates. Most recent is the 1.12g beta build which is OTA. Thats what the recent discussion is about. And no, i do not experience any difference as I am just a normal user, i.e wired ear buds from ripped CDs or line out. A bit of bluetooth and Coax out to DAC.

Mar 1, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #5,579 of 6,628
Sorry, I don't really know what might be the problem here. Other than the sample rate indicator on the notification shade, does the TIDAL app otherwise indicate when it's playing an MQA file, does this indication light up when playing the offline file that should be MQA?

Thanks for getting back to me Joe, its a weird one this, yep the Tidal app indicates its a master and it takes longer to download file than the hifi version which indicates its downloading it correctly. But the light indicator on the side stays blue (rather than turning green) and the rate indicator on the notification shade states 48k. After I download an album or track and play that track/album it will always default to the 48k version until you delete it from your downloads, then it streams it at the correct resolution?!

All my masters files decided they didn't want to come out to play after the recent Tidal update, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the app again, after logging back in all my downloads had been deleted (even the standard hifi ones which were playing fine) ?

A few things worth mentioning are, before the Tidal update hifi quality would play at 88.2k an the green light indicator would light up? After the new tidal update, hifi now plays at the correct resolution 48k and the light indicator stays blue

Tidal requested I produced a bugging report which I tried to complete but the R6 didn't have an app to read and manipulate the report, I downloaded a few apps from the play store but none of them worked so I wasn't able to provide this to them and from this point onward Tidal referred me back to Hiby

Any help would be appreciated,

Mar 1, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #5,580 of 6,628
Thanks for getting back to me Joe, its a weird one this, yep the Tidal app indicates its a master and it takes longer to download file than the hifi version which indicates its downloading it correctly. But the light indicator on the side stays blue (rather than turning green) and the rate indicator on the notification shade states 48k. After I download an album or track and play that track/album it will always default to the 48k version until you delete it from your downloads, then it streams it at the correct resolution?!

All my masters files decided they didn't want to come out to play after the recent Tidal update, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the app again, after logging back in all my downloads had been deleted (even the standard hifi ones which were playing fine) ?

A few things worth mentioning are, before the Tidal update hifi quality would play at 88.2k an the green light indicator would light up? After the new tidal update, hifi now plays at the correct resolution 48k and the light indicator stays blue

Tidal requested I produced a bugging report which I tried to complete but the R6 didn't have an app to read and manipulate the report, I downloaded a few apps from the play store but none of them worked so I wasn't able to provide this to them and from this point onward Tidal referred me back to Hiby

Any help would be appreciated,
Dear greenm,
It sounds like they turned you back to us because of trouble with the last step.

This bug report file that you speak of, how is it generated? Would one not simply attach to to an email and send to TIDAL using say gmail on the r6?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back