HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Jan 6, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #5,206 of 6,628
Well, man. I'm just sain' what HiBy's official support told me a month ago. I don't have R6 yet (and probably won't), so just a quote:
"We are working for the R6 Android 8.1, it will release very soon. We will keep you updated once we finish.
The LDAC, should wait a bit more time. We are working on it."

If it's already there... well, good for you :)

P.S. have you tried it with any Sony headphones to make it sure?
Well a lot has happened in a month. As you do not have the R6 let me assure you that indeed LDAC is available as is APTX HD. As per Oreo update. And yes of course i have paired it with Sony headphones for LDAC connection. I don't have a Sony but I tested it in a shop. My main use is with my BTR3, a Fiio bluetooth reciever amp which shows LDAC connect via colour code.

Jan 6, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #5,207 of 6,628
I asked Hiby on Facebook and they said LDAC was included but needed to be done via download in the Hiby music app. My r6 hasn’t arrived yet for me to try it.
If it's Oreo, it has it. I am beginning to suspect some miscomm here. Those jokers at Hiby may have mistaken LDAC with Huawei HWA which is in Hiby App not in Oreo.

A word to the wise, disable HWA on Hiby App settings. I find it gives a better Bluetooth connection.

Jan 6, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #5,208 of 6,628
If it's Oreo, it has it. I am beginning to suspect some miscomm here. Those jokers at Hiby may have mistaken LDAC with Huawei HWA which is in Hiby App not in Oreo.

A word to the wise, disable HWA on Hiby App settings. I find it gives a better Bluetooth connection.

On my R6, HWA is already shut off in settings and I still get an occasional music skip when using Bluetooth. Had it before Oreo and still have it.

Jan 6, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #5,209 of 6,628
On my R6, HWA is already shut off in settings and I still get an occasional music skip when using Bluetooth. Had it before Oreo and still have it.
For mine, the skipping occurs but switching off the HWA helps a bit. I don't know but at times the connection is superb but at times if does not seem to work without skipping every now and then. I am talking about LDAC here. The other codecs works fine.

Using the various playback quality settings does not seem to help either.

Jan 6, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #5,210 of 6,628
I can only just pair the device to any speaker/headphone before it loses connecton. gonna call place I bought it from for some advice, but I'm loathed to be without it for any time as its my only GOOD music player.

Bluetooth is not a biggie for me buit my gf loves it for the car.

Jan 6, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #5,211 of 6,628
Well a lot has happened in a month. As you do not have the R6 let me assure you that indeed LDAC is available as is APTX HD. As per Oreo update. And yes of course i have paired it with Sony headphones for LDAC connection. I don't have a Sony but I tested it in a shop. My main use is with my BTR3, a Fiio bluetooth reciever amp which shows LDAC connect via colour code.
So you buy an expensive DAP to play music to a BT receiver?

Jan 7, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #5,212 of 6,628
The driver above is the same as the one the chap who sorted mine used.

Now here is my findings since up date:

Boot time: about the same
WiFi: a little better I think, but signal strength is maybe 1 bar better
Bluetooth: Much better to playing to speakers less cutting out than before
Turn wifi off: and bluetooth has no problems at all......... this was the same for old firmware.
HiBy music app: no differance in play back through thier own IEM (I bought them as well)
Neutron music app: This is in my opinion is so much better than HiBy app, so much so that I'm now using it all the time.

Was it worth all the pain of upgrading? - I think not.
Would I get ride of my R6? - NOT NOW Since installing Neutron app. As a portable music player it does the job. As a player for my home setup it does the job. There their better units out there? without doubt, but for a lot more money.
Is there customer support? NO - FORGET THAT ONE......... once you have paid your money your on your own.

Without members on this forum you may as well hope you never need help. Personally I thank one and all on this forum for commenst and help.

Have HiBy shot themsleves in the foot?
................ without doubt: The firmware upgrade was a rush job - untested - not fit for purpose - poor instructions as many owners are from differant countries and languages.

Finally would I buy the new R6 Pro?.......................... NOT A CHANCE IN HELL.

Qnapper

I don't think they had the proper resources to complete the Android 8 rollout as promised... but since they did promise this they had to put something out at some point so... this is what we got. As someone else commented, this is still better than deciding against the whole thing because of the mess it would predictably cause.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 7, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #5,213 of 6,628
I can only just pair the device to any speaker/headphone before it loses connecton. gonna call place I bought it from for some advice, but I'm loathed to be without it for any time as its my only GOOD music player.

Bluetooth is not a biggie for me buit my gf loves it for the car.

Might consider using some other device for the bluetooth work then. (as superuser1 hints at, it's not what these DAPs were built for and objectively speaking your run of the mill smartphone probably does a better job at it that most if not all DAPs out there)

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jan 7, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #5,214 of 6,628
Might consider using some other device for the bluetooth work then. (as superuser1 hints at, it's not what these DAPs were built for and objectively speaking your run of the mill smartphone probably does a better job at it that most if not all DAPs out there)
I'm not to botherd as its only in the car and CD's will do lol, However as a feature it sucks that I cannot use it.

Jan 7, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #5,215 of 6,628
I don't think they had the proper resources to complete the Android 8 rollout as promised... but since they did promise this they had to put something out at some point so... this is what we got. As someone else commented, this is still better than deciding against the whole thing because of the mess it would predictably cause.

Firstly I respect your 10,000+ posts and no doubt the help you have given others across the forum, however I have no idea what you do/work at and likewise you do not know mine.

As a retired lawyer and magistrate the first of your comments would not stand up in a court as "not fit for propose" stands out like a sore thumb. This alone could cost them as let us the forum look at an example: An owner downloads the "not fit for propose" firmware and "bricks" their HiBy R6. Then returns the "brick" for a new one at best or they fix the original one and return it.....
This is WHY I started "ranting" because they DO NOT support the people who supported them by buying the R6 in the first place.
Then there is your comment "deciding against the whole thing" - please read ALL of my posts..... I have stated the R6 is a good device and now a member on here sorted mine for me, I'm happy.

This is a public forum and people who what to buy an item have the right to know "is it worth it" I would have said yes had the upgrade been completed and FIT FOR PROPOSE, but it WAS NOT AND STILL IS NOT

I have not gone across the the R6 Pro pages because I don't own one, will never own one and therefore not going to run that model down. I'm sure others reading this will make their minds up.

Regards and respect to you Sir.

Qnapper

Perhaps it's time I left this subject now as I can see it getting personal.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #5,216 of 6,628
I respectfully object my Lord... :D

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #5,217 of 6,628
So you buy an expensive DAP to play music to a BT receiver?
I think there is a misunderstanding, I mean when using Bluetooth, connection to BTR3 is my main use case.

I do not own multiple DAPs.

For instance, when I am home I use the R6 as a transport via coax to my home DAC and system thru speakers or headsets. I use it as a Music player through my portable headphone home amp via line out, or in the car. I use it as a DAP when taking public transport so I pretty much use the R6 for everything.

So far I am happy with its performance apart from the annoying upgrade fiasco, the Bluetooth stutter at times and the album art glitch.

I cannot afford to buy another DAP so I have to live with compromises where there are. I know many here have happier circumstance where they are able to own or use multiple items to suit their particular needs.

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #5,218 of 6,628
Agree. I bought the Fiio BTR3 intending to pair with my retired Samsung S8. But something happened and I am still using the S8 and i had a good deal on the R6, with the pronise6 of Oreo, so here I am.

So I fully agree that the S8 on LDAC to BTR3 is flawless.

Jan 7, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #5,219 of 6,628
A question which is not related to the firmware update: will the battery-life be considerably longer when only using as a source (without the amp- & DAC-section)? On the HiBy website they state that using balanced out will shorten the battery-life compared to single-ended, so it should last even longer when no analog-out is used?

Jan 7, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #5,220 of 6,628
A question which is not related to the firmware update: will the battery-life be considerably longer when only using as a source (without the amp- & DAC-section)? On the HiBy website they state that using balanced out will shorten the battery-life compared to single-ended, so it should last even longer when no analog-out is used?

Yes, it's been said to last over 20 hours this way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back