HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Jan 6, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #5,191 of 6,628
A cultural barrier to ignore user feedback and not fixing critical UI/UX bugs for months that takes a couple of days/weeks to fix?
I'm not sure it's a cultural barrier, especially considering the fact that I've been living in Asia since 2009... what cultural barrier can it be when you buy a gadget for 400-500$ that doesn't do simple things it's supposed to.
Maybe its a custom to make money and customer service for them is about not making money (Short term thinking ) and its for them just wasting tine cause theres no money to be made.

Jan 6, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #5,192 of 6,628
Maybe its a custom to make money and customer service for them is about not making money (Short term thinking ) and its for them just wasting tine cause theres no money to be made.

Brother...It's typical Chinese junk: looks good on the outside, but dig a bit in, and it’s all crappola…
Chinese never think about their customers or long-terms. If they can fool you once, that’s good enough for them. It’s all short term and greed.

HiBy was my last “made in China.”

Jan 6, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #5,194 of 6,628
I don’t buy the cultural barrier argument. Companies like Cayin and Ibasso are superb at this. What I do think is that Hiby as a software company only had to answer to manufacturers as customers. As a hardware company they now need to answer to individual buyers and this is the resourcing challenge. Nonetheless they were competent enough at it when they had the wonderful @Joe Bloggs onboard.

I used to have a cayin n3 and upgrading that firmware was easy as cake probably 2-3 steps, so totally agree this isn’t a chinese company specific thing...

I’m also back after a week or so and still haven’t updated, to be honest I might just forget about it altogether, I don’t even use Bluetooth with my r6 and don’t have any other issues with the current version of Android. Still disappointed though, when I heard 8.0 was coming I was expecting an OTA so this is all way too messy for me to feel confident upgrading. And for what? LDAC?

Edit: to all ppl considering buying an R6 please keep in mind that 8.0 nor LDAC was ever promised to us during the indiegogo campaign or at all until the r6 Pro was on preorder this year, and I’m still perfectly happy with my purchase. I would like to say that at this point in time the only reason I wouldn’t recommend anyone buy an r6, is if you need Oreo for any reason. If this update process gets updated to be more streamline and stable, then they actually have a competitive player in the market again for 2019.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #5,197 of 6,628
Having previously been burnt by the lack of support from Chinese suppliers playing in this field I certainly understand the sentiment about not getting the Pro version. For the same reason I would never buy another unit from any entity previously involved with the Colorfly C4 (Colorfly and Luxory&Precision). Wish I had known at the time that they would likely never deliver on some promised features and would eventually just abandon the unit.

I honestly believe many of these companies just don't understand what it takes to deal directly with the customer in a market where customer service is paramount. It screams for the need for them o operate through local distributors or customer service reps who have a much better understanding of what it takes to deal directly with customers.

Despite the above I do still plan to get the Pro especially if it's initially released with some incentive and preloaded with Oreo. The promised features and expected performance at the price point outweighs the risk for me. The difference is that in this case I know exactly what I am getting into.

Jan 6, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #5,199 of 6,628
Huh? Oreo has LDAC baked in. So yes, if you mean upgrade as in from 6.0 to 8.1, you will get LDAC. I upgraded and am happy with LDAC link to my BTR3.

Probably it's baked as a standard addition, but for HiBy upgrade on R6 it's not included by default. Probably it's caused by some technical difficulties and takes more time to make it work in the near future. At least that's what their support told me some time ago.

I was considering R6 exactly because of LDAC support as a change for my N5MK2, but LDAC is still not there, plus a lot of issues with customer support as u may see in this thread, so now it's getting a really not-a-choice thing, especially considering R6 Pro's higher price. Looking at ZX300 at the moment...

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #5,200 of 6,628
Probably it's baked as a standard addition, but for HiBy upgrade on R6 it's not included by default. Probably it's caused by some technical difficulties and takes more time to make it work in the near future. At least that's what their support told me some time ago.

I was considering R6 exactly because of LDAC support as a change for my N5MK2, but LDAC is still not there, plus a lot of issues with customer support as u may see in this thread, so now it's getting a really not-a-choice thing, especially considering R6 Pro's higher price. Looking at ZX300 at the moment...
You mean on your set it did not contain LDAC after you upgraded. First time I hear of this. If Oreo, it definitely has LDAC.

As I said I upgraded my R6 to Oreo and it's there. You can see it in settings after you enable developer options. It shows all codecs.

Jan 6, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #5,201 of 6,628
Probably it's baked as a standard addition, but for HiBy upgrade on R6 it's not included by default. Probably it's caused by some technical difficulties and takes more time to make it work in the near future. At least that's what their official support told me.
You mean on your set it did not contain LDAC after you upgraded. First time I hear of this. If Oreo, it definitely has LDAC.

As I said I upgraded my R6 to Oreo and it's there. You can see it in settings after you enable developer options. It shows all codecs.

Well, man. I'm just sain' what HiBy's official support told me a month ago. I don't have R6 yet (and probably won't), so just a quote:
"We are working for the R6 Android 8.1, it will release very soon. We will keep you updated once we finish.
The LDAC, should wait a bit more time. We are working on it."

If it's already there... well, good for you :)

P.S. have you tried it with any Sony headphones to make it sure?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #5,202 of 6,628
Well, man. I'm just sain' what HiBy's official support told me a month ago. I don't have R6 yet (and probably won't), so just a quote:
"We are working for the R6 Android 8.1, it will release very soon. We will keep you updated once we finish.
The LDAC, should wait a bit more time. We are working on it."

If it's already there... well, good for you :)

P.S. have you tried it with any Sony headphones to make it sure?
For what it's worth, AptX HD is listed as well. I hadn't expected that even though it's listed for the R6 Pro.

Jan 6, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #5,204 of 6,628
Not denying that the upgrade process is a cluster but i sure am happy that they allowed the upgrade to oreo and the benefit of ldac. I think they could have easily decided against it and left us all in the stone ages.

Jan 6, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #5,205 of 6,628
Not denying that the upgrade process is a cluster but i sure am happy that they allowed the upgrade to oreo and the benefit of ldac. I think they could have easily decided against it and left us all in the stone ages.
They would have found it difficult to justify given that they already stuck it on the cheaper R3.

The thing that strikes me about Hiby is that all their FUps are so easily avoidable, it’s almost comical. Take the R3 shipping fiasco...it was harder for them to execute in the convoluted way they did, than to do it correctly. With the Oreo update, pay a guy like HBB who does videos for a living, to do a 20 minute video explaining it. It’s really not that hard!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back