HIBY R6 - DAP Dual DAC Balanced Out - Great Reviews and Over 500% Funded @ Indiegogo!
Mar 18, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #2,176 of 6,622
Hi guys,

I had a couple of weeks to listen my Alu version of R6 and I would like to say that it is the best player I had, but ist still has issues.
First about positive. The sound is impressive. I compared it to FiiO X7ii and found the sound signature very close. May be R6 gives a bit wider stage and gives a bit more drive. I could not hear any disadvantage of high OI using Dunu 2002 with only 10Ohm Impedance.
Here are the first issues I faced:
1. USB DAC driver is impossible to install on Windows 10 64 bit. it gives always an
mr3G4JxkRwobj1fn2
error .
2. Cannot make .wv files playing. The player either does not produce any sound showing incorrect frequency or gives some noise instead.
3. If I use the external Amp and then return to listening from headphone out the sound is distotrted and very low power. Works normal only after reboot. I read in this thread that this is the known issue and will be fixed in the next FW.

Please let me know how I can move with points 1 and 2.

Attachments

• Error USB DAC Driver.jpg
    Error USB DAC Driver.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #2,180 of 6,622
Battery saving, maybe? The R6 runs an hour or two longer through the SE output :p
Even then, why not buy the 2.5mm iematch and buy a 2.5mm female to 3.5 mm male SE adapter and essentially have both (although you couldn't use your standard SE cables)?

Mar 18, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #2,181 of 6,622
2) Do they play on an app from the play store?
This is a result from Hiby app.
I tried also other players for .wv 192k 32 bit:
AIMP plays with re-sampling to 44.1k with cue support
Foobar re-sampls to 96k without cue support.
n7Player does not resample, but it does not understand cue sheets.
Poweramp re-sampls to 44.1k and sounds distorted.
Neutron plays with re-sampling to 44.1k with cue support.
Pi Music I could not manage to work with the library.
The effective output sample rate is shown on the top row.

Mar 18, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #2,182 of 6,622
Hi guys,

I had a couple of weeks to listen my Alu version of R6 and I would like to say that it is the best player I had, but ist still has issues.
First about positive. The sound is impressive. I compared it to FiiO X7ii and found the sound signature very close. May be R6 gives a bit wider stage and gives a bit more drive. I could not hear any disadvantage of high OI using Dunu 2002 with only 10Ohm Impedance.
Here are the first issues I faced:
1. Can anyone see the image?
2. wv file is not currently supported by HiByMusic.

3. Check your Wireless Updater app, "the next FW" has been out for a while. :)

This is a result from Hiby app.
I tried also other players for .wv 192k 32 bit:
AIMP plays with re-sampling to 44.1k with cue support
Foobar re-sampls to 96k without cue support.
n7Player does not resample, but it does not understand cue sheets.
Poweramp re-sampls to 44.1k and sounds distorted.
Neutron plays with re-sampling to 44.1k with cue support.
Pi Music I could not manage to work with the library.
The effective output sample rate is shown on the top row.

If you're on the latest version of Neutron, the answer is very simple: go to Settings (the cog thingy)->Audio Hardware, turn on "Follow Source Frequency"--you will get same-frequency output for almost all music files. Do not however turn on the DoP above it--it does not appear to work correctly with the R6.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 18, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #2,184 of 6,622
If you can buy one used and on the cheap, probably would be 1 reason lol.

Here is my suggestion for the cost efficient solution :) @iFi audio makes both iEMatch and Ear Buddy, similar functionality. iEMatch comes in 3.5mm and 2.5mm versions, while Ear Buddy 3.5mm only and cost 1/2 the price. It's cheaper because there is no "gain" switch and no swith between 3.5mm TRRS and TRS (in case if you have HiFiMAN balanced terminated 3.5mm cable), and it's not as durable as iEMatch. So, figure out if you are planning to use mostly 3.5mm or 2.5mm R6 ports and get that iEMatch version. But, if you are getting 2.5mm and think that you will use it with some 3.5mm terminated cables, but not as often, get Ear Buddy in addition.

Yes, you can use 3.5mm iEMatch with 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter/converter, but it makes the setup bulky.

iematch25-x04.jpg iematch25-x02.jpg

Mar 18, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #2,185 of 6,622
1. Can anyone see the image?
Error USB DAC Driver.jpg
Here is the error message. I also tried to add it manually via the device manager as a driver. Did not work either.
turn on "Follow Source Frequency"
Thanks for the hint. It works. Would be great to have .wv support in the Hiby app, which I find more convenient.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #2,186 of 6,622
I love the look of this. I’m wondering if this would be overkill if my main use case is pretty much only Tidal + Spotify streaming and offline. I’m considering either this or getting a HA-2SE instead of twice the price on a DAP

Mar 18, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #2,187 of 6,622

Here is the error message. I also tried to add it manually via the device manager as a driver. Did not work either.

Thanks for the hint. It works. Would be great to have .wv support in the Hiby app, which I find more convenient.

Okay so a repost of the R6 USB drivers and its operating instructions:
Firstly the download link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtuiwfIBRYFEga100RKUcQ4TyCPJrQ

Secondly the install instructions, from the readme file:
First unzip this driver package then try running setup.exe. If that doesn't work (pay attention here @koaly :wink: )
0. Open your system to unsigned drivers (required on windows 8 and 10). This can be done by
a) Open an admin-mode command prompt (windows key->"cmd"->right click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator)
b) Enter the following two commands:
bcdedit -set nointegritychecks yes
bcdedit -set testsigning yes
c) If the commands report "completed successfully", reboot the computer and you should be done.
If not, follow the steps under Solution 1 at https://windowsreport.com/driver-signature-enforcement-windows-10/

------Now that unsigned drivers can be installed:
0. Try running setup.exe again. If that doesn't work:
1. Go to device manager, right click on the new device with a question mark or exclamation mark next to it and choose Update Driver...
2. Choose Browse my computer for driver software->Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer->Have Disk...
3. Browse to the location of this driver package and choose tusbaudio.inf, click Open
4. Choose Hiby Music R6 and click Next and answer Yes to any prompts that follow.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 but choose tusbaudioks.inf in step 3.

I'm not satisfied by the hoops that we have to jump through, or the performance (sound is fine but with a bit of a noticeable delay), but it is what it is at the moment :neutral_face:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 18, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #2,189 of 6,622
I'm imbalanced...so I like my music balanced to compensate. Oh...wait...you said "unbalanced", didn't you..? :wink::smiling_imp:

Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends
I often wonder what percentage of us audiophile types have a screw or two loose. OCD in particular, I would assume it's quite a bit more common than in the general population.

Mar 18, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #2,190 of 6,622
I often wonder what percentage of us audiophile types have a screw or two loose. OCD in particular, I would assume it's quite a bit more common than in the general population.
i would go even further and state that I suspect i maybe bereft of any screws to begin with :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back