Hi-end universal IEMs from Triple.Fis
Aug 8, 2012 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

HeroicPenguin

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

This is going to be a long post, so hang in there. I've recently been getting into Head-Fi again, which is doing wonders for my wallet. Anyway, I'm looking for an improvement on my current IEMs, which are UE Triple.Fi 10s with Chris_Himself cables. I really do like these IEMs a lot (especially the sound with the cable upgrade), but I'm thinking that I might be able to find something else more to my liking. I also own a pair of Monster Miles Davis Tributes as well, which are also pretty good. I'll be describing my sound preferences mainly using those two as a reference.

If possible, I'd like a pair of IEMs with the following:

1. Mid-centric sound, especially for vocal music; the cable replacement really helped this a lot from the Triple.Fis. I find myself turning up the music to better hear the vocals, often making the IEMs a bit louder than I'm comfortable with.
  2. An intimate soundstage, but one with good instrument separation. The Triple.Fis have a huge soundstage, but they aren't that great at centering vocals which I have a problem with. Things are kind of either to the left or the right, but never in the center. It would be great to have a IEM that's good at centering voices and making it upfront.
  1. Good treble sparkle -- I do love the way that the treble is presented with the Triple.Fis. I don't find too much fatigue with them, although I wouldn't mind them tuned a bit less, but still with some sparkle.
  2. Fast bass, but with some body. I'm not really sure how to describe this, but the bass on the Tributes are way too bloated while the Grados had good bass amount, but terribly thin. The presentation on the HD600s is perfect though, so I guess not heavy bass, but flat and accurate. Good speed would be great too, since I listen to a bit of punk rock.
  3. Better ergonomics would be great. Triple.Fis actually fit me pretty well, but the aftermarket cable is a bit microphonic. Replaceable cables are a plus, but not a must.
  4. Works well with rock (pretty much 90% of what I listen to), ranging from punk to indie. Not too much classic rock and not metal. Mainly pretty medium paced, but with some faster paced punk. Examples would be Radiohead, The National, The Smiths, Husker Du, The Beatles (although their recordings are pretty poorly mastered).
  5. No amping. Really don't like carrying around a portable amp with the phone. Source is iPhone 4S (so a decent source).
  6. Budget is ~$300, can stretch it a bit.

tl;dr version: I guess if I had to describe a sound I wanted in three words, it would be mid-centric, clear, and fast. I'm currently considering the Westone UM3X (seems to be my top choice now, I like what I hear), Shure SE425/530/535, Ortofon e-Q7 (some worries about the fit for these; had the MEE CC51s with larger nozzles, hated the fit), RE262 (worried about the amping requirement), and the FAD Heaven IV (haven't heard much about these, although I had heard the mids are mesmerizing). Etys also a consideration too. I heard the SM3 is a better version of the UM3X, but the squareness of the fit seems like an ergonomic nightmare.

Thanks for the help!

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 18
No real recommendations except to say that theres now an "improved" (not heard it, hence the quote marks!)sm3, called originally enough the sm3v2.  Available from earsonics it's a lot more ergonomically designed than previously.  Link here :-

http://www.earsonics.com/SM3%20engl.htm

Head fi thread here :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/552337/earsonics-sm3-v2/915

Cheers

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:
No real recommendations except to say that theres now an "improved" (not heard it, hence the quote marks!)sm3, called originally enough the sm3v2.  Available from earsonics it's a lot more ergonomically designed than previously.  Link here :-

http://www.earsonics.com/SM3%20engl.htm

Head fi thread here :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/552337/earsonics-sm3-v2/915

Cheers

Thanks! Didn't realized the design was changed too, just though the sound was. That's definitely in consideration then, although also at the very top of my budget. Yikes.

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #4 of 18
Ok, so I've narrowed it down further to the Shure SE425/530, Westone UM3X, Earsonics SM3 v2, and Aurisonics ASG1.2 (if the bass is less than the Tributes, which I believe it is). Anyone else with suggestions? The Westones and Earsonics are the favorites right now. I probably can't go wrong with either, but I wanna make sure that both are better than my Triple.Fis before taking the plunge, since I won't be keeping both.

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #5 of 18
The e-Q7 would be great and has everything you described and the nozzle isn't as big as you think, the fit really well.  I don't listen to mine as much as I use to but when I'm in the mood for a mid-centric sound they're the ones I go for over my SE425, Aurvana IE3 or W2 though they're not what I'd call mid-centric but they're more so than the TF10.

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:
The e-Q7 would be great and has everything you described and the nozzle isn't as big as you think, the fit really well.  I don't listen to mine as much as I use to but when I'm in the mood for a mid-centric sound they're the ones I go for over my SE425, Aurvana IE3 or W2 though they're not what I'd call mid-centric but they're more so than the TF10.

Hmm. You like them better than the Shures? I'm surprised, since I've heard great things about the mids of the Shures and how well they do vocals. So, I guess that would put the Ortofons back in the running and the Shures out.

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
Ortofons are fantastic for vocals especially female vocals probably the best I've heard so far.

I've just been reading a bit more on the Ortofons. The consensus does seem to be that they're great for vocals, but are they fast enough to present some PRaT? It seems that they're a bit too slow for rock?

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 18
It performs well with rock especially with electric guitars. Its bass is quick, precise and has extremely good texture. It sounds very lively and energetic the only problem that you might have with these is its treble. It's not as refine as the TF10 and its a bit roll off at the top end but it does have pretty good sparkle. If you could overlook that minor detail it's perfect for your description.

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #10 of 18
Ok, down to three, the SM3, UM3X and e-Q7. Seems like the probably can't go wrong with any of them. Other than the fact that the Ortofons are out of stock at Sound Earphones...

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:
Definitely UM3X with a slight EQ treble boost.

Yeah, I've been leaning towards the UM3X, mainly due to it's build quality and Westone's great customer service. I don't think I can really go wrong with any of these IEMs; can't see myself hating any of them.

But, I've also been looking at the Heir Audio 4.Ai and 4.Ai. Beautiful IEMs and I might wait until they come out and see if they're good.

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #13 of 18
Um3x describes what you want but treble is really laid back, and you will really notice it coming from the TF10.  EQ is your friend.

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
Um3x describes what you want but treble is really laid back, and you will really notice it coming from the TF10.  EQ is your friend.

Would you say that the treble is more laid back than something like the HD600? Because I really don't mind the HD600's treble, despite it being lacking a bit.

Aug 10, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #15 of 18
TF10 versus UM3X

The TF10 treble is, what it is and often not preferred by many.  With UM3X, it is REALLY a moldable IEM meaning it responds really well to EQ.  I was using and IPOD Classic with UM3X on "treble boost" EQ setting and found it to be incredible.  Still wondering why I went to a different set-up.  Would take it over TF10 any day.

Check my sig of IEM's I have ever had and while W3 is still my favorite universal, UM3X is BY FAR the most refined sounding IEM I have ever heard, period....and this is after owning JH5, 13 and 16.

It has the most extension with the most smoothness of any universal IEM I have ever put in my ears.  I just prefer the added color and extension of W3. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back