Help Picking Headphones with a Strict Budget
Jan 7, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #16 of 22
Ok so if I up my budget to around $100 what are my options? Im leaning towards the Shure 840's. Im sure there is something competitive in that price range.

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #17 of 22
If you find the Shure 840's at $100 please send up a flare, as I'm sure the rest of us would be interested.

Under $100:
Creative Aurvana Live!
Koss DJ100
KRK 6400
Shure 440
Sony MDR V6

Just over $100 (and more in line with direct competitors to the Shure 840)
KRK 8400
Sony MDR ZX700
Audio Technica M50 (probably out of price range)

Sound signatures from these are all over the chart...this is just a brief list of some good ones.  You'll have to do your own research to see which come closest to your preferences.  The Creative Aurvana Live can be found for as little as $60 and may be a very good choice for you, as it has a warm, slightly bassy sound.

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #18 of 22

Quote:
I'd probably go with the Porta Pros just because they are portable while having a good reputation.  Koss also has the best warranty in the industry, they will replace your Porta Pros if they ever stop working in the future.

I just want to address this now, though I know the thread has moved on. Please, before recommending, read that this user want a neutral sound and also want a more clinical sound. Koss could have the best warranty in the world, but the PortaPros still won't match the OPs preferences.

Jan 7, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #19 of 22

Quote:
I just want to address this now, though I know the thread has moved on. Please, before recommending, read that this user want a neutral sound and also want a more clinical sound. Koss could have the best warranty in the world, but the PortaPros still won't match the OPs preferences.

Doesnt need to be clinical. Can have a decent amount of bass. Im more of a natural SQ person in the car audio world.

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #20 of 22
I am going to have to say Superlux as well. I love my HD668B's probably a tad to much. I love the detachable cord which means if your cat eats through the cord again for 5 bucks you can have a replacement. I believe the HD668B's are the only Lux with a detachable cord. Also down the road you can buy some AKG velor replacement pads if you find the Lux ones uncomfortable. Some people do find Lux headphones to bright so be wary of that. I don't I love the highs on mine. Superlux have good clarity but are going to throw bad recordings in your face.

I am also a Koss fan but have only used the KSC75 (Easily the best under 20 headphone around.) but have heard great things about the KSC35 and Portapros. They are very difficult to buy at American prices in Canada so that is why I don't own more Koss products.

Check out the Superlux train post for more info. http://www.head-fi.org/t/546556/superlux-express-train/255#post_7969016

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #21 of 22
Look at the JVC HAM750 and HAS650 on Amazon. The Samson SR850(made by Superlux) is better than the Superlux 681 and is $40 new with free US shipping on Ebay.

Jan 8, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #22 of 22

Users who are viewing this thread

Back