Help Picking Headphones with a Strict Budget
Jan 6, 2012 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

whitedragon551

100+ Head-Fier
I had a pair of Creative Labs EP630i's until my son left them dangling from my computer chair and the cat chewed through the cords. Now Im on the lookout for another set.

I listen to a wide range of music. Rap, hip hop, R&B, oldies like the Beech Boys, Rock, Alternative rock. Im a car audiophile and spend a great deal of time working on car audio builds in my personal vehicle. I always build for SQ and go for a balanced stage where the lows, mids, and highs blend well with each other and none of the frequencies are overpowering. Its ok if the bass is a little over powering as long as the mids and highs arent colored.

Now here is where the trick comes in. Ive got a strict budget. I can only spend what I have in Paypal. Ive $40 to burn. I was contemplating between a set of the Sennheiser HD428, Sennheiser HD448, and the Shure SRH240. Those 3 models seem to be the closest to my price range. Previously Ive had ear buds, but Im looking more toward an over the ear setup this time, but Im not opposed to either. Im also not opposed to buying used, but I have a great deal of feedback as buyer, seller, and trader at various car audio forums so whoever I buy from would have to be willing to ship first if they have less feedback.

What other options in that price range do I have? And make a recommendation on which model would be best.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 22
Really balanced sound signature headphones under $40 will be very difficult to find, if its even possible.

One of the best sub $40 headphones available is the Superlux 681, which is $37 at Amazon, shipped.

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 22

Quote:
Really balanced sound signature headphones under $40 will be very difficult to find, if its even possible.

One of the best sub $40 headphones available is the Superlux 681, which is $37 at Amazon, shipped.

They dont need to be super great or anything. How do the Superlux 681 stack up against the Sennheiser and the Shures? I can get either of those for almost $40 on eBay BNIB.

Quote:
Maybe you should get the Monoprice headphones for $20. Read the review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/569239/monoprice-hi-fi-dj-style-headphone-review

Ive had bad luck with all of my purchases at Monoprice. No thanks.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 22
The Portapro is oft-recommended in your price range, but obviously it wouldn't work because you want a neutral sound and something over-ear. I echo the calls for the Superlux: they're supposed to be an extremely good value for the price.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
The Portapro is oft-recommended in your price range, but obviously it wouldn't work because you want a neutral sound and something over-ear. I echo the calls for the Superlux: they're supposed to be an extremely good value for the price.

Doesnt need to be over ear. If the bass is a little heavy thats fine as well, but I would really prefer mids and highs to be accurate and not to colored.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
Doesnt need to be over ear. If the bass is a little heavy thats fine as well, but I would really prefer mids and highs to be accurate and not to colored.

Yeah, that's about the antithesis of the Portapros lol. I'd seriously consider Superlux and Samson (Samson is a re-branded Superlux that can often be found for even less), as they're known to have great SQ for the price.

Jan 7, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #8 of 22
At this point I think I may step up my budget. Im looking at the Shure SRH240A's right now. How do those compare to the rest of the sets in this thread?

Jan 7, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 22
People seem to like the panasonic rp-htf600. I have some orded and got them for around 30 bucks. I also have some really cheap jvc ha-rx300's that I have modded a bit and they sound surprisingly good. On sale for about 15.

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #10 of 22
Spend more I say.  It's worth it.  If you spend $120 you can get yourself Shure SRH840s.  These are built like tanks, and they are pretty neutral and work with all genres of music.  They come with an extra pair of earpads.  These should last you 10 years without having to buy new earpads easily I believe.  Spend $120 and split it into 10 years, that's good savings compared to buying cheap crud over and over again and constantly upgrading etc.  Just get something good that will last you a decade that will satisfy you and then don't bother coming back to Head-Fi, put it on your block list :D.

Jan 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
Spend more I say.  It's worth it.  If you spend $120 you can get yourself Shure SRH840s.  These are built like tanks, and they are pretty neutral and work with all genres of music.  They come with an extra pair of earpads.  These should last you 10 years without having to buy new earpads easily I believe.  Spend $120 and split it into 10 years, that's good savings compared to buying cheap crud over and over again and constantly upgrading etc.  Just get something good that will last you a decade that will satisfy you and then don't bother coming back to Head-Fi, put it on your block list :D.

Wish I had that kind of spare cash, but I dont. A university student with kids is not a cheap task.

Jan 7, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #12 of 22

Quote:

Wish I had that kind of spare cash, but I dont. A university student with kids is not a cheap task.

I feel you man. It's tough, been there a long time myself. Samson SR850 or Superlux HD681 might be your best bet, although I don't own either of them (they are on my list next time I have $40 to spare). My Sennheiser HD205's aren't too bad for balance, a little tinny sounding, but they are highly uncomfortable. It's a tough thing because everyone hears something different and source makes a huge difference. My pc sounds different than my laptop, which sounds different than my mp3 player, which sounds different than my home receiver, which sounds different than my Minidisc player.

I strongly suggest giving this a read if you haven't already. you may find few more options for you:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-96-portable-headphones-reviewed-v-moda-m-80-added-11-27-11
Some of the phones listed in the $50-$100 category can be found cheaper from time to time.

Jan 7, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #13 of 22
I still say the Superlux 681's are your best bet under $40.  I have the Panasonic RP-HTF600's and believe me when I say not everyone likes them.  They are a muddy, bass booming mess in my opinion. 
I like the Porta Pro's, but they are a bit bass heavy, and don't have the clarity of the Superlux line. 

Haven't heard the Shure 240, but the few posts I've read say it lacks bass and has some harshness in the higher mids and treble. 

I'd be careful of fake Sennheisers on ebay.  Amazon has those Senn 448's for just under $50 now if you are still considering them. 

Jan 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #14 of 22
I'd probably go with the Porta Pros just because they are portable while having a good reputation.  Koss also has the best warranty in the industry, they will replace your Porta Pros if they ever stop working in the future.

Jan 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #15 of 22

Quote:

Im strongly considering these. On other sites I frequent the classifieds Ive listed a ton of my spare stuff Ill never use to make up the difference. We will see where that goes.

Quote:
I feel you man. It's tough, been there a long time myself. Samson SR850 or Superlux HD681 might be your best bet, although I don't own either of them (they are on my list next time I have $40 to spare). My Sennheiser HD205's aren't too bad for balance, a little tinny sounding, but they are highly uncomfortable. It's a tough thing because everyone hears something different and source makes a huge difference. My pc sounds different than my laptop, which sounds different than my mp3 player, which sounds different than my home receiver, which sounds different than my Minidisc player.

I strongly suggest giving this a read if you haven't already. you may find few more options for you:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-96-portable-headphones-reviewed-v-moda-m-80-added-11-27-11
Some of the phones listed in the $50-$100 category can be found cheaper from time to time.

Wish that review had some Shure headphones in there. Id like to save up enough for the Shure SRH840's.

Quote:
I still say the Superlux 681's are your best bet under $40.  I have the Panasonic RP-HTF600's and believe me when I say not everyone likes them.  They are a muddy, bass booming mess in my opinion. 
I like the Porta Pro's, but they are a bit bass heavy, and don't have the clarity of the Superlux line. 

Haven't heard the Shure 240, but the few posts I've read say it lacks bass and has some harshness in the higher mids and treble. 

I'd be careful of fake Sennheisers on ebay.  Amazon has those Senn 448's for just under $50 now if you are still considering them. 

Im always weary on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back