Help me choose? Comfortable IEM's with sound signature close to HD598 ~$200
Oct 16, 2011 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

liveify

New Head-Fier
I am looking to buy a pair of IEM's for around $200. I have never had IEM's over $50 but I am looking to get good ones. I have Senn HD598's that I love; they're the best headphones I've ever heard and they're very comfortable..

The two biggest things I'm looking for are comfort and sound. Comfort is more important to me than sound though.

I have had Meelec M6's which I hated because I could never get them to fit and seal correctly. Now I have Maximo im-590's which sound ok, but I can never get to seal right and refuse to say in my ears. 

For full sized headphones I've had Grado sr80i's which I liked, they're a little too bright for me. And I have a pair of Ultrasone HFI-680's, which I thought I liked until I got the 598's. The 598's are perfect, I can't think of anything better. The sound signature is exactly what I've been looking for. Problem is, I am not sure how to describe it and I can't seem to find any descriptions so I can find a EM with similar descriptions. 

I have considered TF10's but I've heard they aren't very comfortable. Which is disappointing because I like the look of them.
I've also seen Hifiman re262.

Any suggestions??
Thanks!

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 9
I was going to suggest the TF10s when I saw the title. I was worried about the fit as well, as I have small years, but they are absolutely amazing. They sound great and after your ears gets used to having them in there (took about 2 days for me, 2 hrs listening a day) you can't even feel them. The comfort is amplified by the behind-ear cable design, that keeps the IEM from moving in your ear while you walk around or go for a run.

I've tried Shure SE115 s before, but the fit was just horrible for my ears. I could barely get them to stay in my ears. With the TF10 design it is much easier to get them in and they rest much more comfortably. As long as you follow insert instructions (pinch the comply foam, and right before inserting let go and pull ear up - may also help to open mouth) you should be fine. I can get both buds in my ears in about 10-15 seconds now. Before I had to use a mirror.

In short: I recommend the TF10's.

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 9
Vsonic GR07, theres almost a cult following of those here hahah. Best bang for your buck iem or so i've heard. 

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 9
GR07, Sony EX600, MTP Copper, SM2, westone 2, HF5 and DBA-2.

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #8 of 9
Dec 13, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #9 of 9
I have RE 262 and Senn HD558. Both are really nice; 262s are great for travel with quality sound and a well sealed environment, delivering very clear sound on vocals and instrumentals especially,and adequate (but not extra heavy) bass for jazz. They fit well and the only thing is that as balanced IEMs you have an additional socket wire dangling down (bit dangly if in gym). Plus you can reverse buds and that does help in clarity even further depending on your hearing balances. Having used Senn CX 300-500 which I loved for years, the RE-262 are much better (even at 5x the price). 

The Senn HD558 is very comfy and has a wider soundstage than 262, so really nice in a more expansive way (though 262 are more than fine). Very light and well separated sound as is Sennheiser, good bass. I am getting a HE 300 also to compare soon. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back