HELP! Choosing a Headphone! Extremely Detailed!
Jun 13, 2012 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

SteelFiction

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am looking for a good neutral type of headphones. Planning on using them for 50% Gaming and 50% Media. Media includes music, videos, movies and the like. Gaming just being good sound and hearing things, being emersed or just having fun with it. My budget is $125 - $150, I can go over it a little bit but I would PREFER not to. These will be my first headphones, ever, so here is some idea I am looking for. Doubt if I will use an amplifier. Mainly, due to the extra cost. So not really wanting some that will cost to much just to power. Does not need to be open or closed. I am building a new computer, so this is all going together, so if I can save money for good sound in any way, any suggestions are helpful. Thinking of putting these with the ASUS Xonar DGX 5.1, unless the motherboard sound is just fine. Also, I am not a basshead, so do not want to pound my brain to nothing. One other thing, would like a headphone that I could atleast listen to a MP3 Player with.
------------------------------------
Site To Buy From:  Amazon.com or Newegg.com

Durability: I want a long lasting type of headphones. Meaning that if I drop them, or they fall off the desk they are okay. Pretty tough in general.

Comfort: Planning on using these for hours. So I do not want something that is uncomfortable. Clamping force is a problem to, because I need to start wearing glasses.  Plus, I don't want a pair of head phones that is trying to squish my head like a pancake. Sweat?

Sound: Looking for a pretty neutral sound, hoping for non-fatiguing sounds. Decent all around sounds, hoping for sound/bass that is not so loud that it would give me a headache. Not planning on "analyzing" the sound, just wanting to enjoy it.

Note: I plan on using Amazon.com and Newegg.com, so any headphones not from there, sorry.  Planning to put the Antlion Modmic [maybe] on the side so hoping for a surface where I can stick it on easily. I really do not want to have to use an AMP. May buy a sound card.As for Open, Closed, etc, does not really matter as long as I can have fun with them. Hopefully, the burn-in is not totally required but if it gets better after listening to them. I am happy.
Games That I Plan On Playing: MMO's/MMOFPS/FPS/MMORPGS, Guild Wars 2, MW3, Skyrim, etc.
Music: All kinds. Such as Acoustic. Basically everything. Just a small list: Labrinth, Avicii - Levels, Jessi J, Taio Cruz, Selena Gomez & The Scene, Adele, David Guetta, Maroon 5, Coldplay, etc.

Thinking about: Randomly picked these by the way.

Philips CitiScape Downtown - $99.99  Same thing as the uptown, I believe.
---------
Philips CitiScape Uptown - $149.99  The microphone and volume adjuster is supposed to mess the sound up though. I believe the same is for the Downtown.
---------
AKG K121 - $89.99 No idea about these.
---------
Creative Aurvana Live! - $99.99 Not sure about the build quality. Plus, they were cheaper.
---------
Denon Professional Dj Headphones Closed Dynamc - $67.85
---------
Beyerdynamic DTX 710 Stereo Headphones - $68.65 No information.
---------
Beyerdynamic DTX 910 Stereo Headphones - $89.00 No information.
---------
AKG K 271 MK II  - $140.00 Not much information, concerned about sound and comfort. I think I got the right headphones.
---------
KRK KNS6400 -  $100.00 No real clue.
---------
Brainwavz HM3 - $55.00 Again, no idea. Seems to have a neautral sound and good comfort?
---------
ATH-T400 - $51.00 ??
---------
Kicker HP541 - $51.00 ?? Considering these, from a review I read they are pretty good. Worried about comfort. Also might put the Beyerdynamic EDT 250 Velour Padded Earcushions
on them. That would put it around $70.00 or so, would it be worth it?
---------
Monoprice Premium Hi-Fi DJ - $29.49 ?? I believe these are basically the same as above. Worried about comfort. Seems the "cups" that go around the ears look  smaller than the Kicker HP541. Also read that the pads get really hot.
---------
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S - $59.99 ??? Still putting down budget headphones.
---------
Samson SR850 - $49.95 Lack of information on my part. Worried about comfort, etc.
---------
Sony MDR-V55 DJ Style - $99.95 Looks extrememly nice.
---------
Sony MDR-ZX600 - $79.99 Hmm?
---------
Ultrasone DJ1 S-Logic - $115.00 Worried about comfort and sound, just putting out alot of options.
---------
SteelSeries Siberia V2 Full-Size Gaming Headset - $77.99 Just adding more stuff.
---------
SteelSeries Flux - Not even out yet, I think. Looks nice and comfortable.
---------
Superlux HD668B -  $50.00 Worried about comfort and quality. Sound as well. Could I put some other pads on them? Such as the AKG Velour Pads? Can not find them on Amazon though. Any other pads work? Doubt i will get it, though. Or would they be okay without them?
---------
Grado Prestige SR60i + Ear Pad Foam Cushions - $91.00 Comfort and Sound issue.
---------
Alessandro MS1 - No idea where to find these. Are these Grado Sr80i's with a different name?

---------------------------------------------
Woah....what a lot to type.

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 19
The Samson SR850 (made by Superlux) and the Superlux HD668B are good all around headphones for $50.
For $15 you can get felt ear pads for them, on eBay.

The Sony ZX700 is just $15 more then the ZX600, on eBay.
Panasonic RP-HTF600-S ($44), only $20 more for Velour ear pads. cheap plastic.

The Xonar DG ($24) and DGX ($40) are a good low cost way of improving audio over what a motherboard comes with built in.

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 19
In the first postof the Recommendations thread (where you should have made this post), you will find a this link that should be very helpful:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-6-10-2012-ultrasone-pro-2900-added-many-edits

For music only with no amp, Amazon shopping can give you the Sony Studio Monitor MDR-V600, Sony MDR-7510  or (for $175) Sony MDR-V900HD.  The Alessandro MS1 is also excellent but is not a good fit for you.

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 19
I will probably go with a sound card, most likely Xonar DGX.

For Mad Lust Envys post, I went through all of it, problem was that most of them was either out of my cost range, or the comfortable score was bad as well.

Also posted in the Recommendation's Thread, had to find it, but posted there as well. I hope it is okay.

Just looking for a good starter Headphone that is pretty good all round. Comfort is the problem.

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:
I will probably go with a sound card, most likely Xonar DGX.
For Mad Lust Envys post, I went through all of it, problem was that most of them was either out of my cost range, or the comfortable score was bad as well.
Also posted in the Recommendation's Thread, had to find it, but posted there as well. I hope it is okay.
Just looking for a good starter Headphone that is pretty good all round. Comfort is the problem.

I just got some Takstar HI2050 (semi-open) off eBay, $64, shipped from Hong Kong.
Brainwarz HM5, same headphone as the Fischer audio FA-003, been using them for two weeks, nice closed headphone.
Got mine used for $100.

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 19
As you mentioned, your budget limits you, as does lack of amping.  Cans that mesh with what you want run about $100 above your budget and need or will be helped with an amp.  Without an amp & at $150 and under you almost certainly have to make some compromises.

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #8 of 19
Yeah, I know, the price thing stinks. But I am building a new computer, so trying to put everything together in a build. The 668B seems nice, just worried about comfort.

As for the Takstar HI2050, how is it?

Jun 14, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:
Yeah, I know, the price thing stinks. But I am building a new computer, so trying to put everything together in a build. The 668B seems nice, just worried about comfort.

I was starting to have cravings for the Beyerdynamic DT 880, best priced for used was $190. but could not justify buying it.
Then I saw the TakStar HI 2050 selling for $64, which looks a lot like the DT880.
It helped me from spending $190 and gave me a new headphone to try out.
I'm not sure how close the sound of the HI 2050 is to the DT880, I only have the DT770 & DT990.
But the HI 2050 does sound good to me, some owners find the highs have sibilance, which I guess it true.
I'm trying to burn them in for 100 hours (Heavy Metal) and will see how they sound then.
But for only $64, I think there a good value.
Comfort wise there fine with me.

Jun 14, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

The 668B is very light and comfortable.  It's also one heck of a can for $50.

Jun 15, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #13 of 19
I was in the same position your in just a few weeks ago.  I would highly highly recommend finding an audio store near you that sells quality headphones, just go and try out everything they've got that interests you, if you cannot try.. just buy a pair take em home test em and get a refund and repeat a few times.  Since I was looking to buy a starter pair I felt it was important to see what good headphones sound like, so I can better understand what I like and make it easier to tell people what I'm looking for, or make it easier to understand what they're describing.

I went with the Ultrasone Pro550/ DJ1 Pro for about 150$, and those are what I'm recommending since it seems you have similar requirements to what I was looking for. They have large cups that cover your ear entirely, comfy to wear for hours on end, the sound quality is better then the hifi580/DJ1 that you have listed, but it has less bass, but not to the point where the bass is removed from the song. I did have to use the EQ to raise the bass level a bit to suit my tastes tho, but it didn't distort anything. They're also pretty easy to drive from my phone.

I want to point out tho some on-board stuff is comparable if not better then some of the cheaper sound-cards, the Realtek ALC889 chip in my board supports 192khz sample rate at 24bits, and it has a built in headphone amp.. So it's playing my music just fine and I don't think I'll want to upgrade to get an amp or a sound-card anytime soon.

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
I was in the same position your in just a few weeks ago.  I would highly highly recommend finding an audio store near you that sells quality headphones, just go and try out everything they've got that interests you, if you cannot try.. just buy a pair take em home test em and get a refund and repeat a few times.  Since I was looking to buy a starter pair I felt it was important to see what good headphones sound like, so I can better understand what I like and make it easier to tell people what I'm looking for, or make it easier to understand what they're describing.

I went with the Ultrasone Pro550/ DJ1 Pro for about 150$, and those are what I'm recommending since it seems you have similar requirements to what I was looking for. They have large cups that cover your ear entirely, comfy to wear for hours on end, the sound quality is better then the hifi580/DJ1 that you have listed, but it has less bass, but not to the point where the bass is removed from the song. I did have to use the EQ to raise the bass level a bit to suit my tastes tho, but it didn't distort anything. They're also pretty easy to drive from my phone.

I want to point out tho some on-board stuff is comparable if not better then some of the cheaper sound-cards, the Realtek ALC889 chip in my board supports 192khz sample rate at 24bits, and it has a built in headphone amp.. So it's playing my music just fine and I don't think I'll want to upgrade to get an amp or a sound-card anytime soon.

Those are bass head cans.  If that's what you want--OK.  If not, they are poor choices.

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #15 of 19
I don't know if I'd call the Pro550's basshead cans, ya there's a slight emphasis on bass if the bass is present in the music, but it's definitely not along the lines of proper bass cans like the Q40's which add tons of bass to everything.  From what I understand the Pro550s are to be the more neutral sounding of the Ultrasone line up.  Since the OP will be using his phones as an all rounder for games/music/movies, having something very neutral sounding or lacking bass might sound boring when a grenade explodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back