HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jan 8, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #542 of 4,482
For anyone interested in knowing where they stand as far as shipping, I contacted headphones.com to find out if I made the first launch of (20) units being I placed my order last night. I also inquired as to how many pin mini XLR connectors are on the headphone side of their cable
(4-pin standard) being I'm making a balanced cable. My order was #29 so I'm not in the first batch. Below is the response from Andrew & Taron of headphones.com.

"We spoke to HEDD this morning and they confirmed that they will be shipping our 20 allotted units as soon as possible. They have committed to getting us tracking information by Thursday so we will know when to expect them to arrive at our warehouse in Washington. HEDD let us know the next shipment of HEDDphones should be shipping the week after the first 20."
But what was the answer, if any, on the XLR pin arrangement?

Jan 8, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #544 of 4,482
@Pale Rider
When I searched for standard 4-pin female mini XLR I came up with this.
mini-xlr-4-pin-female-straight.jpg
But I'm not going to assume.

Jan 8, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #545 of 4,482
Does anyone know if the AMT headphone driver is "closed" in the back (front-firing only), or if it is open (similar to a planar) that allows sound out both the front and the back?

Jan 8, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #546 of 4,482
It is open...

10289510.jpg

Jan 8, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #548 of 4,482
Jan 8, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #551 of 4,482
So only one week after, they will be shipping out another batch of 20 HEDDphones, is that they mean? And I would assume they would continue pumping them out at that rate until they have raised sufficient capital to increase capacity?

Correct. As well, they have committed to shipping UPS Next Day Air on their dime for the allotted pre-orders.

Jan 8, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #552 of 4,482
Frequency Response Graphs are often accurate. Rare cases they are not, like how Audeze-LCDX (open) has the best sub bass of all of their LDC (heard repeatedly on several through several playback sources). This despite graphs showing more roll off below 30-40 hz than the LCD-2. Yet the LCD-2 (even the "bassier" (lol) pre-Fazor) in comparison have noticeably less, very weak sub bass below 40 hz. The graphs are in that rare case totally the opposite of what you hear. If they could make a newer "LCD-1B" model ("B" for bass) that had the LCDX sub bass power, it would sell hugely (of course they won't) vs. the weak rolled off bass on their current LCD-1. I digress. The graph for the HEDD show (which again may vary from actual listening) too much high mids vs everything else (in our most sensitive 3-4 khz area). Good high end response, and just not enough total sub bass (shelf) level.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #553 of 4,482
Frequency Response Graphs are often accurate. Rare cases they are not, like how Audeze-LCDX (open) has the best sub bass of all of their LDC (heard repeatedly on several through several playback sources). This despite graphs showing more roll off below 30-40 hz than the LCD-2. Yet the LCD-2 (even the "bassier" (lol) pre-Fazor) in comparison have noticeably less, very weak sub bass below 40 hz. The graphs are in that rare case totally the opposite of what you hear. If they could make a newer "LCD-1B" model ("B" for bass) that had the LCDX sub bass power, it would sell hugely (of course they won't) vs. the weak rolled off bass on their current LCD-1. I digress. The graph for the HEDD show (which again may vary from actual listening) too much high mids vs everything else (in our most sensitive 3-4 khz area). Good high end response, and just not enough total sub bass (shelf) level.

You may be right about the upper mids, that has yet to be determined. But a graph can only tell you the amount of treble at a specific frequency. What it can’t tell you is the quality of the treble. That has to be heard.

For example, the 800S has a lot more treble energy from 6K —> 20K than the Hifiman Ananda. And yet it doesn’t bother me at all. But I can’t listen to the Ananda for a lot of material because its treble, especially at 8K, really bothers me. But from the frequency response, alone, I would have thought that the 800S would be unlistenable for me. Instead, it’s one of my favorites of all time. I only owned the Ananda for 2 weeks....

Jan 8, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #554 of 4,482

Honestly, this is why I am holding off. I am concerned that this one might be too bright for my taste. At this point, I'm waiting for the official, non-preliminary (just 'liminary'?) measurements to come out. That's my last real concern. Looks like my amp will run it, my cables will fit it, the price seems okay... but those measurements seem lean-sounding.

Jan 8, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #555 of 4,482
But a graph can only tell you the amount of treble at a specific frequency. What it can’t tell you is the quality of the treble. That has to be heard.
I think you're quite right. And I've heard that it is in the treble region (mostly upper) where measuring can be problematic. Only your ears can tell for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back