1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by bugstone, May 7, 2019.
First

Back
28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48
Next

Last
  1. Resolve
    A lot of that depends on if you expect (or require) a Harman-like response. I tried a bass boost of 2.5 dB below 80hz and it absolutely gives that kind of experience. The default tonality, however, is a lot more like the Utopia, just with better extension in the sub-bass (not elevation). For upper mids, I am normally sensitive to elevations in that area and I can confidently say it's not an issue at all. In fact, the upper mids may be my favorite part of the HEDDphone. On my measurements, it actually shows that it hits the target if not ever so slightly below it - but of course 4khz is also where the coupler artifact shows up on my rig as well so it's not as accurate. Based on how I hear it though, it's right where it should be.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
  2. jmills8
    Nice , but how does the bass slams compared to the D8000 Pro ?

3. Resolve
    Very good question. I find it slams decently well when listening to tracks that take advantage of the full frequency range, but for most music the D8K Pro slams harder. I'm reminded a bit more of the way some of the HiFiMAN planars come across for that stuff. It's not all the time, but it's there occasionally - depending on the recording. When you listen to something that does make use of low sub-bass frequencies, you do physically feel the air moving, so that's a thing. But because the bass sits a bit lower in general, it doesn't give the perception of that slam quality like other more bass elevated headphones do (not that the D8K Pro is bass elevated).

BrowChan and jmills8 like this.
  4. jmills8
    Thanks

5. joseph69
    The pin layout of the mini 4-pin XLR female connectors is correct which was confirmed by Taron of headphone.com,
    image.png

6. Nik74
    I wonder if it would be too much to drive these through the speaker taps of my 10W per channel amp...

7. Resolve
    I just wanted to clarify a few things about the dimensions and cable length:

The cable is approximately 2.2m long (roughly 7.2ft). It does use the standard mini XLR connectors pictured.

_DSF2050.JPG
    _DSF2049.JPG

The cup length is approximately 11cm for the outside, and roughly 6.5cm on the inside, depending on where you take the measurement (you could push the pads further on the inside so it would measure longer).

_DSF2047.JPG
    _DSF2048.JPG

8. Beagle
    I was thinking that if the HEDDphone sets a new sonic standard for non-electrostatic headphones, how nice it would be that it would be doing it at $1899.

And all the competitors with the $2999 and $3999 offerings will have to come out with something better for half the cost.

I'm perhaps getting ahead of myself here. But still..

9. DecentLevi
    Yup I've seen from multiple production videos or photos that the HEDDphones are assembled by hand, including the transducer (can't say if this will change though). This inevitably introduces some margin of variation from unit-to-unit. Especially since it's the variance in width and depth of the folds that make this AMT VVT transducer reproduce frequencies differently, so even perhaps a microscopic difference can make one HEDDphone sound different than another. So I for one am not taking the (preliminary) measurements as 'gospel'. This projected variation can be a curse or a blessing to some depending on preferences, but I would say that these should respond very well to different cable materials, amp tube rolling, or even EQ if needed.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    DarginMahkum likes this.
  10. Resolve
    You mean getting aHEDD of yourself?

I'll leave.

11. DecentLevi
    It could be that no two 'heddphones' are exactly the same. Also coming partially from an industrial background I know that there is even some variations with with robot / machine manufacturing as well.

12. SoundHelmet
    hedd sells studio monitors used professionally in individual units ( not matched pairs). im sure they have ways to manage consistency otherwise their studio monitors would be useless.

that said all audio products have some variation in transducers

13. Beagle
    As long as the L/R AMT drivers are matched per unit, all should be well?

14. SilverEars
    Just checked Jude's measurements again. Would like to see left and right driver responses overlayed to get an idea of matching.

The question is how much variance between drivers or how much tolerance is there within their QC?

I've said this before and it would be great if we can see multiple samples measured L and R.

Jude updated the measurements with Harman target overlay.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  15. DecentLevi
    Good point. I'm talking about fine variation among transducers so in this way there would theoretically be some L/R variation. But all should be well, being the variance should be quite minor and most people's hearing has some R/L difference for various frequencies as well. Not to mention these seem to respond well to difference in source chains so can be fine tuned.

buonassi likes this.
First

Back
28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48
Next

Last