HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jan 8, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #571 of 4,482
Just checked Jude's measurements again. Would like to see left and right driver responses overlayed to get an idea of matching.

The question is how much variance between drivers or how much tolerance is there within their QC?

I've said this before and it would be great if we can see multiple samples measured L and R.

He updated the measurements with Harman target overlay.
Driver matching is very important for correct imaging/soundstaging.

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #572 of 4,482
I was thinking that if the HEDDphone sets a new sonic standard for non-electrostatic headphones, how nice it would be that it would be doing it at $1899.

And all the competitors with the $2999 and $3999 offerings will have to come out with something better for half the cost.

I'm perhaps getting ahead of myself here. But still..

This is exactly what I want to happen. I hope this HEDDphone, which costs less than the LCD 3, ends up smoking the LCD 4....

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #573 of 4,482
This is exactly what I want to happen. I hope this HEDDphone, which costs less than the LCD 3, ends up smoking the LCD 4....

Smoking it in what way? For detail and technical performance... no - but it is very close to my ear, perhaps on the same level. For tonality, yes it smokes the LCD-4. But then again a lot of people just EQ the LCD4 and it's all good. For stage, yeah the HEDDphone definitely wins though.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jan 8, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #574 of 4,482
Smoking it in what way? For detail and technical performance... no - but it is very close to my ear, perhaps on the same level. For tonality, yes it smokes the LCD-4. But then again a lot of people just EQ the LCD4 and it's all good. For stage, yeah the HEDDphone definitely wins though.

Well I’d call that a win for HEDDphone then. Because that makes it on par with the 4 on most aspects, and better in things like imaging, tonality, weight, and soundstage but for less than half the cost.

Now I really can’t wait for your full review!

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #575 of 4,482
Well I’d call that a win for HEDDphone then. Because that makes it on par with the 4 on most aspects, and better in things like imaging, tonality, weight, and soundstage but for less than half the cost.

Now I really can’t wait for your full review!
Yeah I myself hope these are a game changer. If they get the distribution part right and later on work on the ergonomics, in addition of course to TOTL sound, even the venerable Audeze might have to get it together too!

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #576 of 4,482
Yeah I myself hope these are a game changer. If they get the distribution part right and later on work on the ergonomics, in addition of course to TOTL sound, even the venerable Audeze might have to get it together too!

And in the end, the consumer will win because flagship prices will have to come down or risk obsolescence. That’s the trend I had hoped the Empyrean would launch.

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #578 of 4,482
And in the end, the consumer will win because flagship prices will have to come down or risk obsolescence. That’s the trend I had hoped the Empyrean would launch.
I think that is the trend of the near future. Flagships are getting so expensive that everyone waits for someone else to become the guinea pig early adopter. Then they wait for the luster and hype to die down. Next thing they know they've saved $4000.

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:30 AM Post #579 of 4,482
Should i sell my Focal Stellia´s and get a pair of Hedd´s? Any impressions so far?
Will my Sony ta-zh1es be enough to drive these?

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #580 of 4,482
Should i sell my Focal Stellia´s and get a pair of Hedd´s? Any impressions so far?

Jan 9, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #581 of 4,482
Wait until early / mid next week this thread is gonna lit with reviews. At least 20 people are slain slated to get their HEDDphones via UPS next-day air for at least this first batch.
images(2).jpg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #582 of 4,482

I think depends on your use cases. For me, they are more mutually exclusive. I don't like Utopia, as for me they are too mid-forward and aggressive. I got the Stellia as it is a "great closed back HP". Though still a bit mid-forward and the treble is a bit rolled off, I can enjoy good quality audio even in a silent office environment. It will stay, and is one of the very few things that stayed after I sold most of my gear and went for a (HEDD) speaker system.

Hp is open design and soundwise Hp is much more to my liking but I wouldn't be able to use them in the office. For other times, I have the Oppo PM-1. So, in my case, Hp will not replace Stellia, although I like Hp more. I think I will buy it, because I like the HEDD tuning in general and its amazing sound stage.

And I don't think Hp is as easy to drive as Stellia.

Jan 9, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #584 of 4,482
I think that is more like the answer (or a generic answer to all questions in this hoby):

PS: A great album, by the way, if you like tech death metal.

Seen them live.

Jan 9, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #585 of 4,482
I think depends on your use cases. For me, they are more mutually exclusive. I don't like Utopia, as for me they are too mid-forward and aggressive. I got the Stellia as it is a "great closed back HP". Though still a bit mid-forward and the treble is a bit rolled off, I can enjoy good quality audio even in a silent office environment. It will stay, and is one of the very few things that stayed after I sold most of my gear and went for a (HEDD) speaker system.

Hp is open design and soundwise Hp is much more to my liking but I wouldn't be able to use them in the office. For other times, I have the Oppo PM-1. So, in my case, Hp will not replace Stellia, although I like Hp more. I think I will buy it, because I like the HEDD tuning in general and its amazing sound stage.

And I don't think Hp is as easy to drive as Stellia.

I´m getting a pair of Hedd Type 20´s also, i have no problem of using open or closed backs, the decision on getting the Stelliás were mainly because of performance VS price when comparing what was available at moment

Users who are viewing this thread

Back