HEDD Announces HEDDphone With AMT Technology
Jan 7, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #526 of 4,480
Anyone know of any carrying cases that would work with the HEDDphone? Seems like that might be an issue.
You going to use it in public ?

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #527 of 4,480
For the weight and size - you might want to consider: :wink:

1472554807_IMG_677176.jpg
Perhaps they should come up with a Headphone Weight, similar concept to what baseball batters use on their bats in the on-deck circle. You could have a five pound headphone that you wear for about 2-3 minutes, then you take it off and put on a 700+gm headphone. In contrast, it feels like an HD600.

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #529 of 4,480
Anyone tried this? any impression please.

Jan 7, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #530 of 4,480
Jan 7, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #531 of 4,480
Just to clarify for those interested in making their own balanced cable.
As I mentioned above, the HEDDphone uses standard mini 4-pin XLR connectors.
The connector on the headphone is a male and the connector on the cable is a female.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #532 of 4,480
1 foot is 30.48cm, and I somehow doubt these ship with less than 1 foot of cable.

FR reminds me somewhat of the SR-009. Slight low bass shelf below 60hz and upper mid rise that persists a bit too long, till after 5hkz. Distortion looks messy but overall distortion level is still quite low and I doubt any of it is audible. I wonder how much of that is 2d harmonic.

The headband extension issue though is something - if real - that they need to remedy asap for us coneheads.

I'm not gonna preorder, but I may very well pick one up if it turns out to be good. Well it's either that, or the MySphere, or the Raals, though who knows when, since between the HD650, Utopia, and various Stax I'm kinda content at the moment.

Mostly.
Well they had too make something small.

Jan 8, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #533 of 4,480
I've heard on another source that the initial batch of 20 HEDDphones have been sold out, along with most of the reserve for a following batch of the same slain for the following week. These are exciting times in the world of hi-fi audio, and there is no doubt in my mind that even if the HEDDphone with its' first-ever VVT AMT transducer headphone technology doesn't please, it will still be ushering in of a new era in headphone audio reproduction.
Happy-New-Year-2020.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #534 of 4,480
I've been saying for some time now, if there are going to be only raw measurements posted, at least overlay the raw DF or Harman comp along with it. I still cannot understand why this isn't being done. I know that Jude is very partial to raws, but would it really hurt that much to have some kind of reference point?

There's no DF data specific to this measurement fixture.

Here's the HEDD Audio HEDDphone versus the Harman AE (Around Ear) / OE (On Ear) Target:

HEDD_HEDDphone_Measurements_Frequency_Response_PRELIMINARY_and_Harman_AE-OE_Target.jpg

The measurements in this post were made using:
The Harman AE/OE Target plot data was provided courtesy of Sean Olive, Harman International, Northridge, CA, USA.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #535 of 4,480
There's no DF data specific to this measurement fixture.

Here's the HEDD Audio HEDDphone versus the Harman AE (Around Ear) / OE (On Ear) Target:

The measurements in this post were made using:
The Harman AE/OE Target plot data was provided courtesy of Sean Olive, Harman International, Northridge, CA, USA.

Thanks! Exactly what I think the thread was looking for.

Jan 8, 2020 at 2:56 AM Post #536 of 4,480
Thanks! Exactly what I think the thread was looking for.
I still think a database of measurements is more useful, but it's certainly a start.

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #538 of 4,480
For anyone interested in knowing where they stand as far as shipping, I contacted headphones.com to find out if I made the first launch of (20) units being I placed my order last night. I also inquired as to how many pin mini XLR connectors are on the headphone side of their cable
(4-pin standard) being I'm making a balanced cable. My order was #29 so I'm not in the first batch. Below is the response from Andrew & Taron of headphones.com.

"We spoke to HEDD this morning and they confirmed that they will be shipping our 20 allotted units as soon as possible. They have committed to getting us tracking information by Thursday so we will know when to expect them to arrive at our warehouse in Washington. HEDD let us know the next shipment of HEDDphones should be shipping the week after the first 20."
So only one week after, they will be shipping out another batch of 20 HEDDphones, is that they mean? And I would assume they would continue pumping them out at that rate until they have raised sufficient capital to increase capacity?

Jan 8, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #539 of 4,480
So only one week after, they will be shipping out another batch of 20 HEDDphones, is that they mean? And I would assume they would continue pumping them out at that rate until they have raised sufficient capital to increase capacity?
And if the initial reports from new owners are all positive, demand will increase rapidly. But I think HEDD have their plan together, not like the Verum 1 and Empyrean debacles.

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #540 of 4,480

As far as I know, their AMT tweeters are all hand made, as you see in this video, at 2:55. If it is also the case for Hp (meaning is considerably more time taking than any planar or -off the shelf- dynamic driver design), it is no wonder that production is slower.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back