Headphones that work with glasses
Nov 25, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #46 of 60
An IEM will stall any problems your having using eye glasses. If not the PSB M4U1's have a soft pad and mold readily around a frame. The large bowls of the PS1000 don't effect an eye glass wearer (cost aside :wink:. The Sennheiser 6XX's don't bother me with glasses on. The Harvey (JH13PRO) is my preference for the read/relax dilemma. 

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #47 of 60
@Kalbee Well i have an Asus Xonar U3 which has an amp, but i don't know how good it is.

@achristilaw I have a pair of Fischer Audio Eterna, but lately it has started to become REALLY uncomfortable. Can't even wear it for more than 30 minutes. Also i think all your suggestions are above my budget... I said in the first post that it's 200$.

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #48 of 60
Quote:
@Kalbee Well i have an Asus Xonar U3 which has an amp, but i don't know how good it is.

@achristilaw I have a pair of Fischer Audio Eterna, but lately it has started to become REALLY uncomfortable. Can't even wear it for more than 30 minutes. Also i think all your suggestions are above my budget... I said in the first post that it's 200$.

Don't forget the used market......the PSB isn't much above. The rest were examples of what works. Many...many IEM's with varying comfort rates at that level and below.

If I have a phone that is uncomfortable for glasses....I place the phone first and then put the arms on top of the pads, angling the glasses. Good luck with your search.....

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #49 of 60
Well from what I've searched the DT 770, Sony MDR-1R and the Fischer Audio Jubilate seem to be the only ones i can get in Europe with a good bang for buck that also can be wore with glasses. Well the Jubilate a little less, but from what i understand they have a spare pair of velour pads so I think they are ok. I don't know about how the V-moda LP2 are with glasses but they seem pretty good too IMO.

The thing is, i don't know very much about their sound signature except for the DT770 which i know is mostly a bassy headphone. And since i mostly listen to classical/rock(neutral or treble/mid focused), but also game quite a bit (which is where i need bass and soundstage) i really have no idea what to choose. 

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #51 of 60
Apparently not, K550 are very sensitive to a good seal. A reviewer, I don't remember exactly who, adressed just that issue.

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #52 of 60
AKG K167.  Only if your frame is thin though.  It fits right in that gap above the earcups.  Very comfortable too.

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #55 of 60
Well i tried the Grado's and a old pair of Sennheiser HD 570 and they are great with my glasses, my only problem is that i need a closed-back pair of headphones since i hate external sound disturbing my listening experience. I don't live in a quiet environment so i need at least some isolation.

@PFULMTL well my frames are about as thick as yours, probably just 1 mm (i measured it it has 3 mm aproximately)more i think, but they are more wide and flatter. I don't really like to wear them over the earcups, are they any good if i fit the earcups over them?

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #56 of 60
Quote:
Well i tried the Grado's and a old pair of Sennheiser HD 570 and they are great with my glasses, my only problem is that i need a closed-back pair of headphones since i hate external sound disturbing my listening experience. I don't live in a quiet environment so i need at least some isolation.

@PFULMTL well my frames are about as thick as yours, probably just 1 mm (i measured it it has 3 mm aproximately)more i think, but they are more wide and flatter. I don't really like to wear them over the earcups, are they any good if i fit the earcups over them?

I'm trying to wear them like that, but the top of the cups is at the same level of where my glasses normally are on my ears.  The earpads are really soft though, so it wouldn't be a problem.  Whatever is inside them compresses to half the thickness and it has a lot of slack.
The K550 has that same or similar sized gap, but I'm not sure if the earcup diamater is the same as the K167.  I hear that the seal on the K550 isn't that great, so if you wear your glasses with them, it would make it worse.  The K167 however has excellent seal and isolation.

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #57 of 60
Quote:
I'm trying to wear them like that, but the top of the cups is at the same level of where my glasses normally are on my ears.  The earpads are really soft though, so it wouldn't be a problem.  Whatever is inside them compresses to half the thickness and it has a lot of slack.
The K550 has that same or similar sized gap, but I'm not sure if the earcup diamater is the same as the K167.  I hear that the seal on the K550 isn't that great, so if you wear your glasses with them, it would make it worse.  The K167 however has excellent seal and isolation.

Are the k167 any good for rock or classical music? I'm looking for something good for those genres and games. Also, if you wear the earcups over the glasses do they break the seal and affect the sound?

May 3, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #60 of 60
Figured I'd add my $.02 in since I'm in the same boat.  I've been trying a bunch, some comfortable with glasses, some not.

Good:
Beyerdynamic MMX 300  I wear these for hours at a time and they remain comfortable.  I'd assume the 770s would behave similarly.
Shure 940  A lot of people seem to have problems with the headband providing too much pressure, they worked great for me but didn't have enough bass
AKG K181 dj  Wonderfully comfortable and portable,  the sound quality of the amperiors killed them for me
Grados with L-cush pads
V-moda m100.  Didn't try them for long, but they seemed to be comfortable with glasses.

Bad:
Sennheiser amperiors.  Loved the sound.  After about 20 minutes they became uncomfortable due to a pinching in my left ear between the pad and my glasses.
Sennheiser HD-25-ii.  Same problem, though it seems like it affected me less than the amperiors or es10.  It may have just been that I liked the sound so much and hadn't been into headphone long so I was willing to put up with more.
My brand new Audio Technica ES10s.  I'm sad :frowning2:.  Just got these in the mail a week ago and experiencing the exact same problem that I had with the amperiors.  Love the looks and sound, but not sure if I can handle that pinching at the top of my left ear.

I'm really starting to think I just can't do on ear headphones.  I'm not happy about it as the ES10s have been something I wanted since I started with headphones and I just can't think of any closed, portable, stylish, good sounding headphones that would do the job now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back