Headphones that work with glasses
Nov 16, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #32 of 60
Quote:
Bump for previous Q. Mostly because open-back are usually comfy enough for glasses.

Hard to say unless one has tried it Dx I certainly never did.

But those Beyer gel pads looks like they would do well with glasses.
I'd assume those Senns you have aren't working well with glasses because the foam is a little too stiff.

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #33 of 60
Quote:
Hard to say unless one has tried it Dx I certainly never did.

But those Beyer gel pads looks like they would do well with glasses.
I'd assume those Senns you have aren't working well with glasses because the foam is a little too stiff.

Yep. That's why i was looking for another pair of cans. 

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #35 of 60
Quote:
m50's are pretty big but fit well with glasses

Quote:
It's not comfortable for me

Not comfortable for me either.

What I do is put the temples above the pads, and when I do this there is a significant bass and isolation improvement. But I think the angle change could be negative for the eyesight over prolonged use.

What you need is a not-so-tight can with really plush padding, so it applies pressure over the temples more evenly and so that you don't lose too much seal.

That or get contact lenses 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #36 of 60
Quote:

What you need is a not-so-tight can with really plush padding, so it applies pressure over the temples more evenly and so that you don't lose too much seal.

That or get contact lenses 
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah figured as much with the pads. That's why i was thinking if i am better off buying some open-back headphones since i don't break the seal if i wear glasses. That or something closed-back with really plush padding like the Beyers or A900X.

And i wouldn't really get contact lenses after I've paid 200$ on the glasses. 

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #37 of 60
Ok, i just hate myself. Borrowed some Grado SR-80i from a friend for the week-end and even though they are a bit too bright (or sibilant, sparkle, or harsh treble, whichever it is) for my ears usually, but on some songs,i wish they were glued to my ears http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsJ4O-nSveg

Dammit, SCREW BASS, i can always EQ it... It would be nice if i had a pair with a good bass, but the others should be first (treble and highs), but they need to NOT be harsh! Unfortunately however hard i EQ the highers frequencies they still sound harsh to my ears (on songs and headphones that already are hard to listen to for me).

So i think I'd rather get something neutral sounding. I'd prefer closed-backs but will go for open-backs if they are much better sound quality wise. 

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #38 of 60
I tried Shures SRH 440 on a headphone shop, along with Grado SR60i
SRH 440 works well for me, with glasses, comfortable, tho without glasses, they are more comfortable.
SRH 440 have near neutral frequency response, according to goldenears. and the highs arent that high, to mt ears, compared to Sr60i.

What I would do if I were u is to get a Shures SRH440 along with 840 pads. I heard the 840 pads are MUCH comfier and tames the highs even more, and brings out the bass.

sr80 (not sr80i) en.goldenears.net/3817
srh440 en.goldenears.net/7264

Nov 18, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #39 of 60

This is more or less it.

That said, there have been very few headphones that have been completely incompatible with eyeglasses for me. One was one of the square-pad Stax electrostatics, and the other was the LCD-2. In both cases, the pads were large enough to press on the tips of the bows (on my glasses, the tips point outwards; they're kind of unusual) and made it impossible to position both my specs and the phones; moving one moved the other and I was worried about damaging the pads.

That probably won't be a problem for you, considering your current budget.

I have a couple other pairs of glasses with different frame styles, though, and they haven't really been incompatible with anything. As I type this I'm wearing a conventional pair of wire frames and Sony CD 3000, and getting all the bass that these phones are capable of.

Keep in mind too that closed headphones never seal perfectly against anybody's head; hair gets underneath the pad, and the contour of the base of your skull around the jaw and neck are not flat. If full-sized cans had complete seals, your ears would pop every time you took them off. Slipping your eyeglass bows under the pads are not going to change bass response much; they're more likely to affect soundstage, if the cups are rotated backwards more than the designers plan on.

On-ear phones can actually be more of a problem with eyeglasses, because they can press the outer ear against the bow and eventually cause pain. Grados are one of the best exceptions to this rule -- if you go the Grado route, remember that the headband can be bent (carefully!) to contour to the shape of your head and change the way it presses against your ears.

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:33 AM Post #40 of 60
Thing is, whenever i wear headphones like the HD 380 Pro they kinda press on the frame which presses on my nose more. It's kinda annoying. I haven't had this problem with the Grado's but since i they are on-ear the press on my ear which presses on the frame which is uncomfortable again.

Either than the DT770 or A900X as closed cans i really don't know what to get. Any other recommendations for neutral closed headphones? Or open ones?

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #41 of 60
This is a bit of a derail and I hope you don't mind my asking, but do you have wire-frame or plastic-frame glasses? I've tended to find those more difficult to work with headphones.

This is all YMMV, of course; eyeglasses come in different styles, everybody's head and ears are shaped differently, and on and on...

I'm not familiar with any of Beyer's full-sized cans (aside from the T1), so I can't really tell you which of them are going to be best for you; the headphones in the $200-ish-and-less range that I thought were decent and eyeglass-compatible include the Shure SRH-840 (I haven't heard the 940 yet nor any of Shure's open-back cans), the AKG K701 (although it needs modding to control the frequency balance and some of the plastickiness in the tone; I like the FoF mod). The Shure's leatherette pads are supple; the AKG's are stiff but their immense size seems to compensate for that, as fitting-on-the-head goes.

I think the Sennheiser HD-25 1 II is a great little headphone but it's just darned uncomfortable for prolonged wear. My wife likes her Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio and is her main headphone when she's at home, and she's an eyeglass wearer (the Studio has circumaural pads, the non-Studio version is on-ear).

With a $200 budget and a willingness to buy used from the for-sale forums here, your options expand a reasonable amount.

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #42 of 60
Quote:
This is a bit of a derail and I hope you don't mind my asking, but do you have wire-frame or plastic-frame glasses? I've tended to find those more difficult to work with headphones.
This is all YMMV, of course; eyeglasses come in different styles, everybody's head and ears are shaped differently, and on and on...
I'm not familiar with any of Beyer's full-sized cans (aside from the T1), so I can't really tell you which of them are going to be best for you; the headphones in the $200-ish-and-less range that I thought were decent and eyeglass-compatible include the Shure SRH-840 (I haven't heard the 940 yet nor any of Shure's open-back cans), the AKG K701 (although it needs modding to control the frequency balance and some of the plastickiness in the tone; I like the FoF mod). The Shure's leatherette pads are supple; the AKG's are stiff but their immense size seems to compensate for that, as fitting-on-the-head goes.
I think the Sennheiser HD-25 1 II is a great little headphone but it's just darned uncomfortable for prolonged wear. My wife likes her Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio and is her main headphone when she's at home, and she's an eyeglass wearer (the Studio has circumaural pads, the non-Studio version is on-ear).
With a $200 budget and a willingness to buy used from the for-sale forums here, your options expand a reasonable amount.

Well I have a rubbery-plasticky frame. Problem is even though it's light it's kinda round so any extra pressure will make it hurt. Also if there is much clamping force (like on my HD 380) sometimes the glasses press on my nose, not a lot, but enough to be annoying.
I wouldn't mind buying something used, as long as it's from someone with a good trader feed-back and if the headphones are in good shape. I've been stalking around the for sale forum to see if something interesting comes up, but i haven't found any good ones for 200$.

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #43 of 60
This is kinda of a bump since i still didn't choose, but i need some more advice (again).

At the moment I am torn between the DT 770 Pro, Fischer Audio Jubilate ( http://www.topdogheadphones.com/style/headphones/fischer-audio-jubilate-paduak-wood-hi-fi-headphones-half-opened ), DT 880 Pro and Sony MDR-1R.

The thing is that DT 880 Pro are more expensive than the others and with the money difference i could get a good amp/dac combo. But i don't know what is worth more: expensive headphones or a little less expensive headphones + amp/dac. 

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #44 of 60
Those Beyers come in different impedance. Unless you have an amp or some receiver you use at home, you might run into trouble driving the 250ohms version (which I prefer over whichever was the other lower impedance).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back