Headphones similar to the Ultrasone HFI-780 or AKG K240 MKII
Jun 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

FlyingFungus

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everybody....it's been a long time since I've posted here (2 years ago was the last time I think). And once again, I'm looking for some advice.

I own (still own since I joined this website years ago) 2 pairs of headphones (over the ear headphones). The AKG K240 MKII and the Ultrasone HFI-780. I use the AKG's for music and Ultrasone's more for gaming and movies, although I find them amazing for music as well. In fact I enjoy them more than my AKG's, which brings me to my dilemma.

I'm looking for new headphones for music listening. I mainly listen to metal and soundtracks/film scores etc. The Ultrasone's are great for metal and soundtracks, however, I don't want to use one set of headphones for everything. I'd rather have a pair for music and a pair for gaming/movies and while I love the AKG's, Im getting tired of them. They could use more bass imo. 

So in short if I could find a pair of headphones either similar to the Ultrasone's (whether it's another set by Ultrasone or another brand with similar qualities to the HFI-780) or something like the K240 MKII but with more bass...tight, punchy, deep bass.

Help would be greatly appreciated. 

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:
Hello everybody....it's been a long time since I've posted here (2 years ago was the last time I think). And once again, I'm looking for some advice.

I own (still own since I joined this website years ago) 2 pairs of headphones (over the ear headphones). The AKG K240 MKII and the Ultrasone HFI-780. I use the AKG's for music and Ultrasone's more for gaming and movies, although I find them amazing for music as well. In fact I enjoy them more than my AKG's, which brings me to my dilemma.

I'm looking for new headphones for music listening. I mainly listen to metal and soundtracks/film scores etc. The Ultrasone's are great for metal and soundtracks, however, I don't want to use one set of headphones for everything. I'd rather have a pair for music and a pair for gaming/movies and while I love the AKG's, Im getting tired of them. They could use more bass imo. 

So in short if I could find a pair of headphones either similar to the Ultrasone's (whether it's another set by Ultrasone or another brand with similar qualities to the HFI-780) or something like the K240 MKII but with more bass...tight, punchy, deep bass.

Help would be greatly appreciated. 

Heya,

Hifiman HE-400
Denon D2000 & D5000
AKG K550
AudioTechnica A900X
Beyer DT880
Sennheiser HD600

Very best,

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 12
So in the past week I've bought (returned 2) the following headphones:

AKG K271 MKII - I was hoping they would be a bit more bass heavy than the K240 MKII...but they had even less bass. Otherwise they are good headphones but not what I was looking for so I returned them.

Sennheiser HD 558 - Again, didn't have the bass I was looking for, but they were very good for acoustic and lighter music (great mids and treble). I returned these as well

Audio-Technica AD300 - Well I went to the store to that I got the 2 above headphones and ordered the M-Audio Q40. They were about a $100 less than the above 2 headphones so I decided to try the AD300 just because they were at a good price. They're quite comfy first of all and I enjoyed their sound. So I kept them. However, I find these still lack the bass that I want (even though to my ears they have more than the above 2) but for the price I decided to keep them. They aren't the most detailed and lack a bit of clarity but they're pretty good. I'll probably use these for when I play guitar along with my music.

M-Audio Q40 - These are coming in 2 weeks. Reading the reviews, I might like them. So I'll give them a shot.

Denon D2000 - Bought these today. They're super comfortable and they sound great!!! The bass is excellent although I still like the bass of the HFI-780 a bit more (it's got more mid bass and sounds more impactful but the D2000's go quite low). These are definitely keepers. 

So based on all of that...I still want to try the Beyerdynamic DT770 and Ultrasone Pro 750 or 900. Any other headphones that I should try later on down the road (since I still have the Q40's coming and the D2000's have very much impressed me? I'd like to eventually get the D5000 (gotta save a bit more for that).

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

What source(s) do you plug your headphones into?

Jul 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
What source(s) do you plug your headphones into?

For now, just a laptop or PS3 (I plug my headphones through Logitech X540 speakers). I will probably invest in an amp soon...or maybe that should be what I invest in first and foremost?

I'll do research but is there any amp that you would recommend for both the D2000 and HFI-780? or one for each?

Jul 5, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
For now, just a laptop or PS3 (I plug my headphones through Logitech X540 speakers). I will probably invest in an amp soon...or maybe that should be what I invest in first and foremost?

I'll do research but is there any amp that you would recommend for both the D2000 and HFI-780? or one for each?

I'm an Fiio E11 fan.

Jul 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 12
Jul 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
The cans you want to try will need an amp. 

I bet it will help your D2000 too.  If you're not getting a good dose of sub-bass with the D2000, you're not getting it at its best.

So basically I should get an amp no matter what. 

I'm getting good bass with the D2000 from my laptop. The sub-bass is there on certain songs I listen to and I noticed it on parts of certain movies that I was testing the cans out with. But I think it could still use just a little more bass. Either way, I think the D2000 are excellent. I think I still prefer the HFI-780 though (at least for certain things) but not by much. The amp might change my mind.

I'll try the Fiio E11. Any other recommendations? Less than $300. The Fiio E11 is a very nice price so I'll probably get that but I'll look into other ones.

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

So basically I should get an amp no matter what. 

I'm getting good bass with the D2000 from my laptop. The sub-bass is there on certain songs I listen to and I noticed it on parts of certain movies that I was testing the cans out with. But I think it could still use just a little more bass. Either way, I think the D2000 are excellent. I think I still prefer the HFI-780 though (at least for certain things) but not by much. The amp might change my mind.

I'll try the Fiio E11. Any other recommendations? Less than $300. The Fiio E11 is a very nice price so I'll probably get that but I'll look into other ones.

The 780's are designed to use straight out of virtually anything without an amp.  The other cans will benefit (perform better) when amped.

I don't own any portable amps, so I can't give you specific advice.  My guess is that your cans will benefit from the E11.

Jul 6, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

The 780's are designed to use straight out of virtually anything without an amp.  The other cans will benefit (perform better) when amped.

I don't own any portable amps, so I can't give you specific advice.  My guess is that your cans will benefit from the E11.

Oh ok. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back