Headphones for serious audio monitoring work
Feb 15, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #16 of 58
I'd recommend finding a used Beyerdynamic DT48E. They're designed for professional work, and are very flat and detailed. Further, the build quality is about the best you'll find anywhere. The cups are turned aluminum and the headband is steel. I think I could toss my pair off the roof without hurting them.

Feb 15, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #18 of 58
OP, you should try and find a local audio store that carries headphones and try them out.

Long & Mcquade would be ideal, not sure if they have locations in Quebec but if you can get to Ontario they have a good number of locations. They carry a number of brands including Sennheiser, Audio Technica, AKG, Beyer Dynamic, Fostex, Pioneer, Sony, etc.

The Sennheiser HD-25-1 II would be a very smart choice for professional monitoring. The soundstage is a bit narrow, you will need to verify you mix against stereo monitors of course. Goes without saying that you would need to do this regardless of what headphone you decide to go with. 

Also the Audio Technica ATH-M40 would also be a decent choice but they are very slightly colored sounding to my ears, still remain fairly neutral. I do enjoy them but may not be the perfect solution for professional monitoring/mixing.

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #19 of 58
CD900ST is my best pick,always available on ebay

Feb 16, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #20 of 58
Acix, both actually.
I'll try to find a DT-48E, see what it gives. The HD-25-SP got mavy raves here, that I know.
Pretty hard to find these things in Quebec. Audio boutiques carry Grados and STAX while big brand stores carry Bose and Monster. So Sony Style has the MDR-7### phones while another sotre carry some beyerdynamic DT-990 PROs. So... that's it for listening before buying.

Feb 16, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #21 of 58
If you are going to mix and master on those headphones I would leave the dt48e, you need something with a better bass response. Mixing on those things is not a good time. Don't get me wrong, they sound good, from the mids and up, but I feel the bass response is not good enough for mixing. If you have monitors, you could mix the bass and lower mids with those and then continue working on the dt48e, that would be a good solution. For pure monitoring purposes, they are probably the best you can get.

Oh and for mixing, I would check out the ultrasones hfi680, I stil regret selling them. They have good transferability to speakers.
You could try the hd600, but they sounded to dark for my taste, most of my mixes came out dull sounding, they where pretty neutral though. I now own a K701, I still haven't mixed on these, when I get a chance to sit down and get to it il tell you if they are workable, if not I am probably selling them and getting a hfi680 again.

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #22 of 58
Are the Ultrasones that 'flat'? Didn't know they were neutral/flat enough for mixing. Always was curious about those because of the S-logic thing. Unfortunately Best Buy doesn't have demo of any serious pro phones.

X2 on the dt48. Not the best choice for accurate lows.

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #23 of 58
Yeah I thought Ultrasones are more "warm" and "musical" sounding.
I have the DT880 (32), but of course, being open, cannot use on the field. I really need one phone for both field and room.
For speakers I have Yorkville YSM-1. Discontinued, so...

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #24 of 58

Surprisingly yeah, they worked for me. Check out the Dave rat headphone quest on youtube, he did a frequency test. That was the reason I tried them. I aslo tried the hd280, but I hated those.
Quote:
Are the Ultrasones that 'flat'? Didn't know they were neutral/flat enough for mixing. Always was curious about those because of the S-logic thing. Unfortunately Best Buy doesn't have demo of any serious pro phones.

X2 on the dt48. Not the best choice for accurate lows.

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #25 of 58
the dt250/80ohm might do the trick. They're pretty indestructible and I liked them quite a lot....supposed to be very 'flat' with more low end than the dt48. I didn't need a closed phone so I decided to sell them and stay with the 240DF

Quote:
I have the DT880 (32), but of course, being open, cannot use on the field. I really need one phone for both field and room.
For speakers I have Yorkville YSM-1. Discontinued, so...

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #26 of 58
Sound on sound said they have a scooped midrange, they are mildy coloured and veiled in the midrange, thats the reason why  I did not try those. Did you notice any of this" mid range coloration"?

Edit: And something about squashed dynamics (which I don't get).

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #27 of 58

Quote:
Acix, both actually.
I'll try to find a DT-48E, see what it gives. The HD-25-SP got mavy raves here, that I know.
Pretty hard to find these things in Quebec. Audio boutiques carry Grados and STAX while big brand stores carry Bose and Monster. So Sony Style has the MDR-7### phones while another sotre carry some beyerdynamic DT-990 PROs. So... that's it for listening before buying.

Mixing and mastering is better to go with some open hps like the K-701/2. For close hps you try the GMP 8.35, K-271MKll, and the M-50.

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #28 of 58
what about the senn hd280 pros? I found them very flat and too accurate for me, with great sound isolation too 

Feb 16, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #29 of 58
Quote:

The K240 DF connected to a good set up sounds warm and musical too for a very neutral headphone, it is all in the music. Even the DT48E will not skip on warmth and timbre but it is more honest in its presentation of the recording so no detail will be spared...

Feb 16, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #30 of 58

Quote:
Sound on sound said they have a scooped midrange, they are mildy coloured and veiled in the midrange, thats the reason why  I did not try those. Did you notice any of this" mid range coloration"?

Edit: And something about squashed dynamics (which I don't get).

Nah, didn't find the dt250 recessed in the mids. It ironic because Paul White a few years back gave them a stellar review....claimed they were very neutral and accurate and good enough to do a preliminary mix with. Now in a more recent review he said they are mildly recessed in the mids. Well, I didn't hear it anyway....definitely not veiled....nor colored, as far as I could tell. Though compared to the dt48 most any phone is probably at least a tiny bit colored. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back