Headphones for serious audio monitoring work
Feb 17, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #31 of 58
What the hell, my k701 just did a 360 on me, it's like voodoo. Yesterday I left it playing pinknoise for about 12 hours, and it sounded beautiful smoother overal, today I left it playing pinknoise for 15 hours, and some tracks sound like garbage, they lost punch and there is less bass, overal the sound is thinner and more distant.  What is going on? I think I broke em, I can't think of a better reason. 

Seriously where did the bass go, it's gone
frown.gif
, I feel misled, alsmost used...hahaha

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #33 of 58
Quote:
The K240 DF connected to a good set up sounds warm and musical too for a very neutral headphone, it is all in the music. Even the DT48E will not skip on warmth and timbre but it is more honest in its presentation of the recording so no detail will be spared...

So far I've mentioned in a half dozen places (all recent) that my DT-48E cushions are sealed, which I suspect improves bass a lot. And I was hoping two or more other people would confirm whether their DT-48E cushions were also sealed. ????

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #34 of 58
What do you mean sealed? My pads look just like the normal replacement pads. What do yours look like?

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #35 of 58

Quote:
What do you mean sealed? My pads look just like the normal replacement pads. What do yours look like?

My pads look normal.  But where they fit onto the drivers, that little round place in the center, mine are sealed to that driver box so I cannot rotate the cushions around, like if I wanted the oval cushions to be at a different angle to the headband.

My three original DT-48's all had loose cushions I could remove and replace.

If your cushions are loose in the sense that you can change their angle relative to the headband, then that could change the bass response.  BTW, I played Also Sprach Zarathustra by the Pasadena Symphony, the one made for binaural, and I can hear and feel the 32 hz organ pedal quite readily.  It's not distortion or doubling - it's the real deal.  The 48E is down about 6 db or so from the Senn 800 at 90 hz or thereabouts, and down about the same amount at 20 to 30 hz, so there's no major rolloff if the cushions are sealed.

At least that's the way mine work.

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #36 of 58
I have two part cushions. The inner part is glued to the driver housing but the outer part can turn freely and be removed easily. These are the ones you'd get if you ordered replacements as far as I know. As far as the very low bass goes, I'm not hearing much at all with mine, though I haven't done a test with sine gen since I got the new pads and a better seal. I'm going by a comparison I did with the the k702 which has more low lows. Down 6dB at 90hz compared to the hd800....that's quite a lot isn't it? Though I've read that the 702 has a lot less lows than the hd800 as well.

Quote:

My pads look normal.  But where they fit onto the drivers, that little round place in the center, mine are sealed to that driver box so I cannot rotate the cushions around, like if I wanted the oval cushions to be at a different angle to the headband.

My three original DT-48's all had loose cushions I could remove and replace.

If your cushions are loose in the sense that you can change their angle relative to the headband, then that could change the bass response.  BTW, I played Also Sprach Zarathustra by the Pasadena Symphony, the one made for binaural, and I can hear and feel the 32 hz organ pedal quite readily.  It's not distortion or doubling - it's the real deal.  The 48E is down about 6 db or so from the Senn 800 at 90 hz or thereabouts, and down about the same amount at 20 to 30 hz, so there's no major rolloff if the cushions are sealed.

At least that's the way mine work.

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #37 of 58

Quote:
What the hell, my k701 just did a 360 on me, it's like voodoo. Yesterday I left it playing pinknoise for about 12 hours, and it sounded beautiful smoother overal, today I left it playing pinknoise for 15 hours, and some tracks sound like garbage, they lost punch and there is less bass, overal the sound is thinner and more distant.  What is going on? I think I broke em, I can't think of a better reason. 

Seriously where did the bass go, it's gone
frown.gif
, I feel misled, alsmost used...hahaha

A clear case of reverse burn in, if you ask me
eek.gif

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #38 of 58
It takes time with the newer ear pads to get good seal but since the clamping force is too absent with my DT48E I think I have to find a solution for that. The ear pads are fine and functional.

Feb 18, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #40 of 58
It takes time with the newer ear pads to get good seal but since the clamping force is too absent with my DT48E I think I have to find a solution for that. The ear pads are fine and functional.

What I'm hearing here is confirmation of what I suspected. The movable ear pads on the DT 48 are leaking bass probably. I feel extremely lucky to have discovered this.

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #41 of 58

Quote:
Quote:

What I'm hearing here is confirmation of what I suspected. The movable ear pads on the DT 48 are leaking bass probably. I feel extremely lucky to have discovered this.

We should move this to the dt48 thread I think. I don't see how mine are leaking bass. there's no real space between the outer pads and the inner pads. Possibly the seal is not as good as it should be. Can you upload a photo?

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:53 AM Post #42 of 58

We should move this to the dt48 thread I think. I don't see how mine are leaking bass. there's no real space between the outer pads and the inner pads. Possibly the seal is not as good as it should be. Can you upload a photo?

If you know how to move it that would be good. Looking into the earcups, they look the same as any old model. Apparently there is some kind of sealant under the round aluminum flange that covers the driver, because otherwise the pad should be able to rotate, and mine are frozen in place. I've tried to exert a little extra force to move them, to no avail. One thing I do notice that's slightly different from the original 48 circa 1974 is that the inner part of the earpads next to the driver cover are fatter, more "puffed up", which I suppose is why they don't hurt my ears like the old DT-48. Other than that, and using a good flashlight, there's nothing visible that would indicate a seal of any kind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back