Headphones for plane rides - $150 Budget
Aug 22, 2011 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

starwa1ker

New Head-Fier
Hi there Head-fiers!

I'm about to be travelling a lot in the next few months and my UE TF10s aren't comfortable after 20+ hours on an airplane. I'm looking for headphones that are over-the-ears and sound similar to my TF10s, I usually listen to pop and rock. The budget is $150, what you guys have in mind for me?

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 19
Noise canceling are horrid, IMO - I hear that frequency they use to block out sound. I'm a freak.

Any good closed can that is around ear with leather pads will give you great isolation and will block out 75% of the outside noise with some music playing.

Denon would be good. But not fold-able
Koss Dj100 would also be good, with MDR-V6 pads
Shure 840 would be my top pick. Good for rock and can handle pop without a problem.

All these don't need a amp

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #3 of 19
I'm not looking for noise cancelling, I just want good quality headphones that are comfortable. Over-the-ears would be a good enough seal for the annoying airplane sounds. The Shure 840 looks promising, I will go try it out at a local headphone shop later.

Anyone else?

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 19
v6 is decent noise isolation but not great. I went on vacation last week and used the v6 + pearstone velour for the first time on a plane. I noticed they blocked maybe 60%. Mostly blocking out higher frequencies but you will still hear the deep rumbling of the jets.

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
maybe sony V6... the 840 are not that comfortable cause they are heavy, comfortwise M50>840

V6 need a amp to get rid of the higher volume static

I found the 840 better over the M50's, but V6 over 840. Weird.

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 19

Quote:

I'm about to be travelling a lot in the next few months and my UE TF10s aren't comfortable after 20+ hours on an airplane.

I don't think there are any headphones designs meant to accommodate 20+ hours of continuous wear, not to mention the danger of listening for so long at an elevated volume required to block out ambient plane noise. Although I don't usually mind in-ear monitors, after that much time I can see them becoming an excruciating inconvenience.

Beyer's full-size cans are pretty comfortable for extended listening sessions. The DT770 are closed headphones that easily beat the 840s or M50s in comfort and audio quality. You can find the Pro version for just a little over 150$ new, or perhaps either version at or below 150$ used.

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
I don't think there are any headphones designs meant to accommodate 20+ hours of continuous wear, not to mention the danger of listening for so long at an elevated volume required to block out ambient plane noise. Although I don't usually mind in-ear monitors, after that much time I can see them becoming an excruciating inconvenience.

Beyer's full-size cans are pretty comfortable for extended listening sessions. The DT770 are closed headphones that easily beat the 840s or M50s in comfort and audio quality. You can find the Pro version for just a little over 150$ new, or perhaps either version at or below 150$ used.

Might need the DT-770 32-Ohm version ($250)
The DT-770 Pro 80-Ohm are really bassy, not sure someone would want the much bass for 20hours.
And he would need an headphone amp, for the DT-770 Pro 250-Ohm.
Unless I'm missing something?

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 19
Yes you are. There are those few crazy souls out there who do not see the headphone amp as a bare necessity. Way back when I had one, a 250 ohm DT990 sounded just fine straight out of a Sandisk Clip.

That said, it would be helpful if the OP could provide some more info about their listening habits / portable source.

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
Yes you are. There are those few crazy souls out there who do not see the headphone amp as a bare necessity. Way back when I had one, a 250 ohm DT990 sounded just fine straight out of a Sandisk Clip.

That said, it would be helpful if the OP could provide some more info about their listening habits / portable source.

My source is the Cowon J3 with FLAC files. I am already using the flipflop mod with comply eartips...

I don't mind getting an extra amp if that's needed.

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #12 of 19
Heya,

I actually just did some flying with headphones the other week. Ultimately, closed headphones will not block out much noise even on a plane. It will block out the sound of people in general on the plane, but you'll still hear the plane itself. Those engines are just loud and vibrate you. I could hear it even with music playing to an extent. So be mindful that you're not upping the volume to compensate, you can damage your hearing doing that.

Suggestion:

BeyerDynamic DT770 - Closed, comfortable, big cups.

Very best,

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #15 of 19
If you are looking for comfort the Phiaton MS400 is IMO the most comfortable headphone in existence. It also seals well, sounds great, and has a nice low end to help drown out all the low frequency noise. You can get them for $170 on Amazon these days, a bit over budget though.

TF10s have never been comfy for me. 

You know what I really recommend for plane rides? NC IEMs. And the best I've had is the K390 NC from AKG. $150 on Amazon.

But you aleady mentioned you don't want NC or IEMs. Still, that's what I'd recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back