Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 25, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #7,306 of 12,284
stenog , I just demoed the T5P with my 1770 in a shop. In their quite room. T5P is a bit more transparent and a slight more treble. Isolation on the 1770 is much better and the bass on the 1770 is a bit more impactful. 1770, 250 ohms sounds a bit better, more solid. T5P is good but for my music the T5P is not really a step up but just slightly different. I do hate the very long cable that the 1770 comes with. Im in Hobg Kong and I listen outside with millions of people. 1770 isolates very well, zero outside noise coming in.

Just order a shorter single-ended mini-xlr cable. I'm sure you can get one that's approximately one meter, or whichever length you prefer.

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #7,307 of 12,284
stenog, true I will order a shorter one.

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #7,308 of 12,284
Wonderful discussion here and eager to pursue when financially viable :) Until then, any suggestions for under $500 total (including amp if necessary, etc)? If not possible, under $750? Sincere apologies if I've missed this discussed earlier or elsewhere. Thank you so much

Mar 28, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #7,309 of 12,284
Wonderful discussion here and eager to pursue when financially viable :) Until then, any suggestions for under $500 total (including amp if necessary, etc)? If not possible, under $750? Sincere apologies if I've missed this discussed earlier or elsewhere. Thank you so much

The crux of the last 9,700+ posts is basically that metal is very diverse in terms of subgenres and production values, so your best metal headphone setup will be dependent on 1. budget, 2. genre preferences and 3. band preferences. (Occasionally there are some peripheral requests like needing a closed headphone or wanting something that's more bassy or whatever.)

We know your budget, so let's get to the other stuff:

What kind of metal genres are you listening to?

Who are some of your favorite bands?

What is your current setup and what do you want to improve upon?

Closed, open or doesn't matter?

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #7,310 of 12,284
Wonderful discussion here and eager to pursue when financially viable
smily_headphones1.gif
Until then, any suggestions for under $500 total (including amp if necessary, etc)? If not possible, under $750? Sincere apologies if I've missed this discussed earlier or elsewhere. Thank you so much

Audioquest Nighthawk -> Audioquest Dragonfly Red. 

Save some money: HD650 -> O2/ODAC

Save more money but if you don't mind some treble won't be worse than the above: DT990 -> Little Dot MK2

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #7,312 of 12,284
I have to try the Nighthawks. I need to know if the muted treble is accurate, or just a weird tuning.

It's neither of those. It's an incredibly low distortion headphone that has a speaker-like low end. What happens to most people is they listen to it, go "ugh this is muddy," then go back and listen to them again... then again... and eventually everything else sounds harsh and brittle in comparison.

Mar 28, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #7,313 of 12,284
I have to try the Nighthawks. I need to know if the muted treble is accurate, or just a weird tuning.

It's not the treble that is the main issue, it is the lack of mids.  Deep recession just kills the midrange on the Nighthawks.  Bass is really fantastic though if your a basshead.

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #7,314 of 12,284
It's neither of those. It's an incredibly low distortion headphone that has a speaker-like low end. What happens to most people is they listen to it, go "ugh this is muddy," then go back and listen to them again... then again... and eventually everything else sounds harsh and brittle in comparison.

That's one way of saying it. Another would be, "It is extremely low distortion, but it sounds like crap, so you're going to have to force yourself to like it." :wink:

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #7,315 of 12,284
The crux of the last 9,700+ posts is basically that metal is very diverse in terms of subgenres and production values, so your best metal headphone setup will be dependent on 1. budget, 2. genre preferences and 3. band preferences. (Occasionally there are some peripheral requests like needing a closed headphone or wanting something that's more bassy or whatever.)

We know your budget, so let's get to the other stuff:

What kind of metal genres are you listening to?

Who are some of your favorite bands?

What is your current setup and what do you want to improve upon?

Closed, open or doesn't matter?

Thanks so much for taking the time! Means a lot

Been listening to a lot of djent recently but any good progressive stuff w solid percussion. I play drums (used to a lot more when younger) and love double bass & offbeat, varied time signatures; anything clever. Some tech/electro/metalcore can be good if it's not whiny

Fav bands.. oh man..gonna miss some I'm sure but btbam tesseract born of Osiris intervals rest among ruins anup sastry periphery abr aa monuments atb erra animals as leaders contortionist aild bullet (early stuff) ffaf opeth in flames.. many more I'm missing but hopefully that gives some idea

Closed/open either fine actually have used mostly iem's but largely bc I'm frequently on the go / listening and exercising.

Have some work now that allows me to be in one place so would like to get the best experience I can - deception concealing fate pt 2 live was probably one of my all time favs

Thanks again to you and anyone else who takes the time to share :)

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #7,317 of 12,284
Awesome!! Thank you so much

Any of those (or others) best for drums/bass?

It does depend on the amp synergy with the HD650; mid-bass emphasis/issues, bass tightness/distortion, relative slowness of the driver/impulse response, and the polite treble might not be the best for djent in my opinion.

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #7,319 of 12,284
Mar 29, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #7,320 of 12,284
I just saw that. Interesting. I'm going to try and give them a listen at CanJam SoCal, if I can find some. I know Grizzlybeast is a big fan of those and says they really pack a whallop for impact.

He let me borrow his pair for a few weeks. They are really something else. I completely forgot about them, and TBH I could see them being totally endgame for a lot of people. If I had the cash, hell, I'd snap that up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back