Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 24, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #7,291 of 12,302
.That would make for a very hard side by side comparison. I'm using different source equipment as well. I can't really volume match either. I listen to both rather loud though, so that helps in general.

Closed dynamic vs Open planar.

The LCD-4 has more authority and bass extension since it's linear to 20 Hz. It's quicker in transient response and decay — it's a rather small difference. I've heard dynamics and planars that are slower than the Eikon. The Eikon has more upper mids and lower treble to make the FR a bit more even. Kinda similar to how the HE500 doesn't dip nearly as much as the LCD-4 as is closer to a flat FR. No comment on the timbre and tonality. I think the Eikon has a bit more snap/slap while the LCD-4 has more slam and rumble. That could be due to the flush earpads of the LCD-4 vs. the slight gaps on the Eikon. I still get a full seal, but the pads don't hug my head the same. Soundstage on the Eikon is what you'd expect of a closed back. The imaging is sufficient. The LCD-4 is a monster when it comes to XYZ and has a very black background where instruments pop out from nowhere — not so much from the Eikon as it's a little cramped. That doesn't take away from the enjoyment factor though. Weight is laughable. I can't even tell the Eikon is on my head. How light are the cherry variants?! I don't have to worry about getting fingerprints on chrome with the Eikon — they feel better in your hands that's for sure. I dislike the headband's flexibility. I'd take any competitor's headband over it that doesn't have bumps. My OCD doesn't like that it's not 100% symmetrical after the previous owner had adjusted it to their preference. I spent maybe 2 and a half hours last night tampering with it. Oh... the Eikon is very durable. I was pretty sure I'd of snapped it multiple times, but it didn't happen. Nothing has left me wanting more from the Eikon thus far. I haven't gotten through my entire collection of music, but my favorite tracks all sounded exciting — just how I like it. Not treble tipped exciting, but just exciting how it should be. I'd kill to swap a Mrspeakers headband onto these. Lol. As for detail extraction, the Eikon is very good. Maybe not as good, but that could be due to swapping my source hardware and the fact that they're not burned in yet. Time will tell if that improves. I still think that the LCD-4​ is the very best headphone for anyone who wants to listen to any/all genres of music for leisure or studio monitoring. That said, I've not heard every headphone on the market. Open backs are simply going to win out imo over their closed back brethren. Now, if you like a closed back's sound — the Eikon will not disappoint. If you need more isolation, I think the same can be said — they're excellent in that regard. For the price, I can easily recommend my downscale setup. A cheaper DAC may be suitable for others as well. Killer, affordable HiFi setup with the Eikon. LCD-4 is going to demand more from your wallet both for the cans themselves and upscale source hardware to get the most out of it. Also worth mentioning — if you don't have a full seal with the Eikon, it's apparent as night and day; there's no warmth and your surrounding environment's ambient noise is all of the sudden revealed to you. Adjusting the pads angle really moves around the imaging as well.

Awesome, thanks. Lots to chew on.

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #7,292 of 12,302
I have the T5p 2nd and I like them. They have a nice instrument separation, good speed, fair soundstage and good bass. People complain about them leaking sound but I have not had problems regarding that so far. I must say, though, that I do not listen to music at very high volumes. For me, they also have an adequate amount of treble and are not sibilant, which was apparently a problem with the first gen.

Comparing them against the Oppo PM3, the T5p is more open sounding, bass has lot more impact and are much more engaging and they are also more comfortable. Against the DT1770, the T5p are less bright, have better bass accuracy and are much more comfortable, soundstage is similar. Against HD650, the T5p have more soundstage and are less veiled, they are also much easier to drive.

I do not use IEMs due to some serious wax issues, so, no comparison available in that regard.

Those comparisons are not fair, due to the price difference, being a fair one agains the Mr Speakers AEON or something similar (Which I have not owned yet), however, I think that the T5p have a nice price/performance ratio.

Regarding portability, the carrying box is rather big, but it can be fitted inside my backpack anyway.
Hello, Ive been a custom iem user since 2009 and also been using various TOTL iems through the years. Most of my listening is on the go ( to and fro work) which is usually 3 hrs per day. In the last year I have been demoing headphones and felt that most were ok but very heavy or just meh. I have demoed very expensive ones and mid tier. Six months ago I bought the B&W P7 and love it with Metal and many others styles of music. Last week I demoed the 1770 Pro and it sounded a step up in over all quality than the P7 and P9. Obvious not as easy for on the go but its worth it due to how great it sounds. Now Im thinking of getting the T5P. Is it as good or better? I really look for bass impact, clear realistic vocals and nice treble. The 1770 bass is great but I would not want any less bass, actually a little more would be welcomed.

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #7,293 of 12,302
Hello, Ive been a custom iem user since 2009 and also been using various TOTL iems through the years. Most of my listening is on the go ( to and fro work) which is usually 3 hrs per day. In the last year I have been demoing headphones and felt that most were ok but very heavy or just meh. I have demoed very expensive ones and mid tier. Six months ago I bought the B&W P7 and love it with Metal and many others styles of music. Last week I demoed the 1770 Pro and it sounded a step up in over all quality than the P7 and P9. Obvious not as easy for on the go but its worth it due to how great it sounds. Now Im thinking of getting the T5P. Is it as good or better? I really look for bass impact, clear realistic vocals and nice treble. The 1770 bass is great but I would not want any less bass, actually a little more would be welcomed.

The T5p and T5p version 2 are both less bassy from what I've read.

If you want more bass, the Meze 99 Classics are in the same ballpark in terms of bass quantity, as are the Fostex TH-Series variants (Mohagony, Purple Hearts, Ebony and E-MU Teaks).

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #7,294 of 12,302
shuto77 , thanks for the repky but I have demoed the 99. Its nice but for me it was very Balanced, meaning did everything well but didnt excell in any one audio region. The 1770 sounded a lot better.

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #7,295 of 12,302

Well, for me the T5p >>> Dt1770. I would recommend you to try them before taking any decision, it all depends on you tastes,.

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #7,296 of 12,302
Well, for me the T5p >>> Dt1770. I would recommend you to try them before taking any decision, it all depends on you tastes,.
true and I really dont care on price. A bit more bass than the 1770 and everything else on par Im fine.

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #7,298 of 12,302
Mar 25, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #7,299 of 12,302
I must say... it's delightful to only hear what I'm trying to — ty Eikon for your isolation. My brother has taken over our shared area with his 3D printer project.

It's even more of a Charlie Foxtrot today. The picture is from a couple of days ago.

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #7,300 of 12,302

some reviwers said the pads change the bass of t5p 2nd... i don't know

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #7,301 of 12,302
Mar 25, 2017 at 7:08 AM Post #7,302 of 12,302
Yes pads can alter the sound.

I had the 1770 and the t5p 2 some time ago. So this is only by memory. The only thing I liked about the 1770 was the bass they were too closed even for a closed headphone. The t5p was a big step up and I was positive surprised by the bass. But as far as I remember it didn't have more bass quantity than the 1770.

I actually think about buying the t5p again. Funny thing, you buy several different headphones and then find out the ones you had before were better :).

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #7,303 of 12,302
stenog , I just demoed the T5P with my 1770 in a shop. In their quite room. T5P is a bit more transparent and a slight more treble. Isolation on the 1770 is much better and the bass on the 1770 is a bit more impactful. 1770, 250 ohms sounds a bit better, more solid. T5P is good but for my music the T5P is not really a step up but just slightly different. I do hate the very long cable that the 1770 comes with. Im in Hobg Kong and I listen outside with millions of people. 1770 isolates very well, zero outside noise coming in.

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #7,304 of 12,302
I must say... it's delightful to only hear what I'm trying to — ty Eikon for your isolation. My brother has taken over our shared area with his 3D printer project.

It's even more of a Charlie Foxtrot today. The picture is from a couple of days ago.

Yes, isolation is underrated, imo. Even though I have a dedicated room for music/gaming/work, my house is near a busy street, so it's nice to block out the world sometimes.

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #7,305 of 12,302
stenog , I just demoed the T5P with my 1770 in a shop. In their quite room. T5P is a bit more transparent and a slight more treble. Isolation on the 1770 is much better and the bass on the 1770 is a bit more impactful. 1770, 250 ohms sounds a bit better, more solid. T5P is good but for my music the T5P is not really a step up but just slightly different. I do hate the very long cable that the 1770 comes with. Im in Hobg Kong and I listen outside with millions of people. 1770 isolates very well, zero outside noise coming in.

We all have different ears and needs :). The 1770 was not for me but I don't use headphones on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back