Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 24, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #7,276 of 12,302

I was interested in those for a while. I used to really like the Beyers, but I find you have to be very careful about matching gear with them due to their sometimes-whacky treble tuning. I did like the DT1770 and DT1990, however. I imagine neither would mesh well with my Jot, or any Sabre DACs, but probably would be very nice with the Mojo.

That is true, I've tried the T5p with my Project Polaris and they sound veeery bright at first, however, with a lower bandwith configuration and high output impedance they sound good. I expect to try them in balanced with the Jot in a couple of weeks at maximum, but my expectations are not high.

What setup you using with ur t5p2? i listened the t5p2 and the bass is very neutral with nothing of impact and punch...

With a chord mojo. Bass is not super powerful, just the right amount.

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #7,277 of 12,302

That is true, I've tried the T5p with my Project Polaris and they sound veeery bright at first, however, with a lower bandwith configuration and high output impedance they sound good. I expect to try them in balanced with the Jot in a couple of weeks at maximum, but my expectations are not high.

Haven't read the T5p thread, I guess there'd be some impressions, but do post yours here with the Jot!

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #7,278 of 12,302
"Only a dynamic driver" is nonsense. You guys realize headphones don't use DDs out of some weird inability to understand planars and estats, right? I know Audeze got everyone on the planar train and the big boys use them, but Focal didn't make a $4000 dynamic flagship because they were too stubborn to use something else. 
I will make one point: dynamic driver size limitations vs planar driver size limitations.

side note: having heard many more dynamics than planars, my interest naturally swayed me to something I'm less familiar with out of curiosity. It piques the interest a bit more. YMMV. I have no interest in estats whatsoever due to them requiring a different amplifier entirely.

Mar 24, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #7,279 of 12,302

"Only a dynamic driver" is nonsense. You guys realize headphones don't use DDs out of some weird inability to understand planars and estats, right? I know Audeze got everyone on the planar train and the big boys use them, but Focal didn't make a $4000 dynamic flagship because they were too stubborn to use something else. 

Not too mention 80% of the planar headphones on the market right now have or have had in the past significant QC issues, variation between headphones of the same model, etc.  There is a reason Sennheiser stopped making consumer planar headphones decades ago and the only one they make now is a $50k vanity item made for rich soccer players.

From a sound perspective, the differences are a lot more nuanced.  Both types have can have issues in the design that the manufacturer needs to overcome.  Treble timbre in planars can be a pain to get right or with dynamics, good bass extension with low distortion. Etc.

Mar 24, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #7,280 of 12,302
Yeah I didn't pay attention to electrostats for years because they're rare, usually expensive, and require a special amp. However it is interesting how Sennheiser, HiFiMan and Stax have made their flagships estats, and after hearing a couple, and getting the iFi Pro iCAN which I'll eventually be able to connect to an ESL, I'm definitely interested in the upcoming MrSpeakers model. 

It does seem that dynamic drivers are most common because they are easier to do well and for less cost. Cool to see Focal pushing that technology a bit. 

Mar 24, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #7,281 of 12,302

Not too mention 80% of the planar headphones on the market right now have or have had in the past significant QC issues, variation between headphones of the same model, etc.  There is a reason Sennheiser stopped making consumer planar headphones decades ago and the only one they make now is a $50k vanity item made for rich soccer players.

From a sound perspective, the differences are a lot more nuanced.  Both types have can have issues in the design that the manufacturer needs to overcome.  Treble timbre in planars can be a pain to get right or with dynamics, good bass extension with low distortion. Etc.

Isn't the Orpheus an estat?

Don't get me wrong, all headphone tech is awesome, but I've discovered after enough sampling that I just prefer dynamic drivers. The bit of distortion in the bass doesn't bother me simply because I love the kind of impact they can give simply by virtue of having more travel distance.

Mar 24, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #7,282 of 12,302

Isn't the Orpheus an estat?

Don't get me wrong, all headphone tech is awesome, but I've discovered after enough sampling that I just prefer dynamic drivers. The bit of distortion in the bass doesn't bother me simply because I love the kind of impact they can give simply by virtue of having more travel distance.

Good dynamics can have very low distortion in the bass anyways.  See HD800 and ZMF Eikon as just two popular examples.

Mar 24, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #7,283 of 12,302
Theres room in my collection for dynamic,planar,e-stat and hybrids...i think they all bring something different to the table,and have their strong and weak points.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their favorite,but to dismiss a HP based purely on what type of driver is inside is shortsighted. 

Mar 24, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #7,286 of 12,302
It hit 80 degrees around here today. Phenemonal weather. Got to take my new longboard out for a well deserved ride around area. I'll get to enjoy more head time with the Eikon tonight. Best day of 2017 for me personally thus far.
:D

Mar 24, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #7,287 of 12,302
It hit 80 degrees around here today. Phenemonal weather. Got to take my new longboard out for a well deserved ride around area. I'll get to enjoy more head time with the Eikon tonight. Best day of 2017 for me personally thus far.
:D

I'm curious to hear how good the Eikons are compared to the LCD-4, which sounds to me like one of the very best headphones you can buy.

Mar 24, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #7,288 of 12,302
Someone have oriolus mk2? Or other hybrid iem high end??

I have the Oriolus.

It’s a very good iem that works with many genres.
It offers a nice warm sound signature and very precise imaging, but I also have to say, that it is not the very best for metal. The guitars could be more aggressive for my taste and the bass could be faster and have a little bit more impact. (Although I have to say, that I am used to the HE-6 and I have yet to hear another headphone, that I enjoy more :) )
Sadly I don't have any other IEM, so I cannot compare it directly to something else. 

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #7,289 of 12,302
  I have the Oriolus.

It’s a very good iem that works with many genres.
It offers a nice warm sound signature and very precise imaging, but I also have to say, that it is not the very best for metal. The guitars could be more aggressive for my taste and the bass could be faster and have a little bit more impact. (Although I have to say, that I am used to the HE-6 and I have yet to hear another headphone, that I enjoy more :) )
Sadly I don't have any other IEM, so I cannot compare it directly to something else. 

sad to read :frowning2:.
I have the shure se846 blue filter mod... and my unique problem is separation of ( crash, riders, hi-hat ) no more xD

Mar 24, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #7,290 of 12,302
I'm curious to hear how good the Eikons are compared to the LCD-4, which sounds to me like one of the very best headphones you can buy.
.That would make for a very hard side by side comparison. I'm using different source equipment as well. I can't really volume match either. I listen to both rather loud though, so that helps in general.

Closed dynamic vs Open planar.

The LCD-4 has more authority and bass extension since it's linear to 20 Hz. It's quicker in transient response and decay — it's a rather small difference. I've heard dynamics and planars that are slower than the Eikon. The Eikon has more upper mids and lower treble to make the FR a bit more even. Kinda similar to how the HE500 doesn't dip nearly as much as the LCD-4 as is closer to a flat FR. No comment on the timbre and tonality. I think the Eikon has a bit more snap/slap while the LCD-4 has more slam and rumble. That could be due to the flush earpads of the LCD-4 vs. the slight gaps on the Eikon. I still get a full seal, but the pads don't hug my head the same. Soundstage on the Eikon is what you'd expect of a closed back. The imaging is sufficient. The LCD-4 is a monster when it comes to XYZ and has a very black background where instruments pop out from nowhere — not so much from the Eikon as it's a little cramped. That doesn't take away from the enjoyment factor though. Weight is laughable. I can't even tell the Eikon is on my head. How light are the cherry variants?! I don't have to worry about getting fingerprints on chrome with the Eikon — they feel better in your hands that's for sure. I dislike the headband's flexibility. I'd take any competitor's headband over it that doesn't have bumps. My OCD doesn't like that it's not 100% symmetrical after the previous owner had adjusted it to their preference. I spent maybe 2 and a half hours last night tampering with it. Oh... the Eikon is very durable. I was pretty sure I'd of snapped it multiple times, but it didn't happen. Nothing has left me wanting more from the Eikon thus far. I haven't gotten through my entire collection of music, but my favorite tracks all sounded exciting — just how I like it. Not treble tipped exciting, but just exciting how it should be. I'd kill to swap a Mrspeakers headband onto these. Lol. As for detail extraction, the Eikon is very good. Maybe not as good, but that could be due to swapping my source hardware and the fact that they're not burned in yet. Time will tell if that improves. I still think that the LCD-4​ is the very best headphone for anyone who wants to listen to any/all genres of music for leisure or studio monitoring. That said, I've not heard every headphone on the market. Open backs are simply going to win out imo over their closed back brethren. Now, if you like a closed back's sound — the Eikon will not disappoint. If you need more isolation, I think the same can be said — they're excellent in that regard. For the price, I can easily recommend my downscale setup. A cheaper DAC may be suitable for others as well. Killer, affordable HiFi setup with the Eikon. LCD-4 is going to demand more from your wallet both for the cans themselves and upscale source hardware to get the most out of it. Also worth mentioning — if you don't have a full seal with the Eikon, it's apparent as night and day; there's no warmth and your surrounding environment's ambient noise is all of the sudden revealed to you. Adjusting the pads angle really moves around the imaging as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back