Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Mar 29, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #7,336 of 12,302
@Hansotek Would the AEON be more of an upgrade, or a complement to my E-MU Teak? I know the AEON Is probably technically superior, but is it so much more neutral that it wouldn't be a clear upgrade? I'm considering grabbing one after I sell the ZMF Ori Blackwoods. 

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #7,337 of 12,302

I just sold my Jotunheim, and I'm trying to replace it w/ a Liquid Carbon. 

Just wondering why you sold the Jot? Also please report back with any comparisons between the Jot and LC once you get an LC.

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #7,338 of 12,302
  Just wondering why you sold the Jot? Also please report back with any comparisons between the Jot and LC once you get an LC.

The Jot is awesome! Just too bright for some headphones (including my E-MU Teaks), IMO. It was awesome with the ZMF Ori Blackwoods, however. You have to watch out for overly bright or v-shaped signatures. I think the Beyerdynamic DT1990s, for example, would be a poor match because they get a bit zingy with brighter amps or sources.

I really want to get an amp that will pair with anything. I don't know if that's completely reasonable in my price range ($500), but I'll give the LC a shot. I'm in no way ruling out a return to the Jotunheim. I may go back and say I'd rather have a Jot and the extra $200 back in my pocket.

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #7,339 of 12,302
@Hansotek
 Would the AEON be more of an upgrade, or a complement to my E-MU Teak? I know the AEON Is probably technically superior, but is it so much more neutral that it wouldn't be a clear upgrade? I'm considering grabbing one after I sell the ZMF Ori Blackwoods. 

I'd definitely call it an upgrade, but I haven't compared them head-to-head or spent a ton of time with the teaks. ÆON is stupid good for the price, especially out of a good amp like the LC. If you're on the fence, you should just grab it.

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #7,341 of 12,302
  What configuration of driver you like guys? ( b.a+dd, planar, electro, only b.a, dynamic, tesla ) ? for metal music

Dynamic only. Simple and best 
biggrin.gif

I only recently got into liking planars, but dynamics are the best there are - no need to overcomplicate technology when it can all be so simple and fun. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #7,342 of 12,302
I'd definitely call it an upgrade, but I haven't compared them head-to-head or spent a ton of time with the teaks. ÆON is stupid good for the price, especially out of a good amp like the LC. If you're on the fence, you should just grab it.

I pulled the trigger on the LC. I'll receive it Saturday or Monday. I'm very excited!

Anyway, I was on Cavalli's site and they said the amp can put out a balanced signal without a balanced DAC. Is this improvement significant? I've read that the LC's balanced output is much better than SE, so I'm not sure if I should look into balanced cables.

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #7,343 of 12,302
I pulled the trigger on the LC. I'll receive it Saturday or Monday. I'm very excited!

Anyway, I was on Cavalli's site and they said the amp can put out a balanced signal without a balanced DAC. Is this improvement significant? I've read that the LC's balanced output is much better than SE, so I'm not sure if I should look into balanced cables.

It's definitely an improvement on the LC (particularly the first version). What kind of connection do you have at the headphone end?

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #7,345 of 12,302
  What configuration of driver you like guys? ( b.a+dd, planar, electro, only b.a, dynamic, tesla ) ? for metal music

Any type of driver configuration can be done well. It is just one variable among many data points. Out of my own collection, my top 5 favorites have 4 different driver types.

1. Abyss (planar)
2. Atticus (dynamic)
2A. HD800 (dynamic) 
3. Omni (planar)
4. W60 (BA)
5. Stax Lambda (E-Stat)

That being said, I tend to prefer planars in general because of the bass presentation, but it totally varies by the amp. 

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #7,346 of 12,302
The Teaks are wired for balanced output (I sold the balanced cable they came with), with dual 2.5mm connections. The Ori has the standard dual mini-xlr.

Ah, I don't have any of that type.

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #7,348 of 12,302
No worries, I have a guy.

So you're saying it's worth it to upgrade to the balanced cable, even with a non-balanced DAC?

Yeah, the Carbon has a phase splitter. In other words, will split the signal from a single-ended DAC into positive and negative phases for you, and then output a balanced signal to the headphone. Most people can't tell the difference, and if you can, it probably has more to do with the balanced output of the DAC than the Carbon itself.

As far as the output goes, this is one of those very rare "if all things are equal, balanced is better" situations. Some of the benefits you would gain here would be:

- Almost double the power
- Twice the slew rate
- Common mode noise cancellation
- Using all four amps instead of two

On the first run Carbons, the noise floor will be noticeably lower in balanced mode. In the second run they updated the power supply to make the SE output quieter.

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #7,349 of 12,302

Any type of driver configuration can be done well. It is just one variable among many data points. Out of my own collection, my top 5 favorites have 4 different driver types.

1. Abyss (planar)
2. Atticus (dynamic)
2A. HD800 (dynamic) 
3. Omni (planar)
4. W60 (BA)
5. Stax Lambda (E-Stat)

That being said, I tend to prefer planars in general because of the bass presentation, but it totally varies by the amp. 

Did you do change your mind again on the A vs. E thing?

And apparently the assualt on our wallets will never end...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/822835/canjam-socal-2017-april-8-9-2017/300#post_13384163

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #7,350 of 12,302
Did you do change your mind again on the A vs. E thing?

And apparently the assualt on our wallets will never end...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/822835/canjam-socal-2017-april-8-9-2017/300#post_13384163

I don't own the Eikon, just the Atticus. As much as I enjoy it, it overlaps with several other headphones I own, so it hasn't been a huge priority on my "need to buy" list.

On the Abyss Phi, I'll say this... at least Joe's headphones are worth their astronomical asking price. And I think he did right by his current customers by offering the driver upgrade for $1,500, instead of immediately launching an Abyss 2 or making one of those "silent revisions" we've all come to know and love so much from other brands. I'll be interested to hear it for myself, because he sounds really, really excited about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back