Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Sep 7, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #4,892 of 12,284
Anyone get a chance to try the new Elear with some metal? Good dynamic punch without the treble etch of some summit-fi gear seems right up my alley. However, I am a bit concerned by reports of the Elear giving people headaches.

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #4,893 of 12,284
Anyone get a chance to try the new Elear with some metal? Good dynamic punch without the treble etch of some summit-fi gear seems right up my alley. However, I am a bit concerned by reports of the Elear giving people headaches.

It was probably me who said that thing about the headaches. If you enjoy the HD650, it shouldn't be a problem. There is some kind of midrange distortion they both share to which I am somewhat sensitive. I know of several other people who share this same sensitivity, but most people do not, in my experience.

Regardless, it would be good for black metal, old school metal and thrash (which often leans on the bright side), stoner and doom (which benefits from the extra body), and poorly recorded/mastered stuff.

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #4,894 of 12,284
That upper midrange dip in the Elear could be problematic to some guitars. I'd like to try them out with the Utopia pads as they seem to help the dip even out a bit.

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #4,895 of 12,284
That upper midrange dip in the Elear could be problematic to some guitars. I'd like to try them out with the Utopia pads as they seem to help the dip even out a bit.

I never noticed it much on guitar tones.  I notice it mostly with some hi-hat cybals (ones with a lower tone like Mike Portnoy's).

Sep 8, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #4,896 of 12,284
OK guys, excellent thread, but way touch info for the new be to the thread to wade through. So, what is the general consensus on the best can for metal, strong fast bass like do genre, on the $750 range, take or give a few$$$ I simply can't wade through the ten of thousands of posts. Give me the benefit of thw summation of all the posting, sorry to cheat :wink:

Sep 8, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #4,897 of 12,284
OK guys, excellent thread, but way touch info for the new be to the thread to wade through. So, what is the general consensus on the best can for metal, strong fast bass like do genre, on the $750 range, take or give a few$$$ I simply can't wade through the ten of thousands of posts. Give me the benefit of thw summation of all the posting, sorry to cheat :wink:

What subgenres do you listen to? Is the $750 for a headphone only or the whole system?

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #4,900 of 12,284
This one is difficult for me: what is the best IEMs for Metal? So far can't find anything that pleases me more than the iGe, even its more expensive brothers

I just picked up a pair of Dunu DN-2000J. What bands do you most enjoy? I can check out some this weekend, and let you know what I think.

I also have a pair of Dunu Titan 5s, which I got mostly for work because they don't isolate particularly well. They're a pretty good low-cost solution.

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #4,902 of 12,284
I just picked up a pair of Dunu DN-2000J. What bands do you most enjoy? I can check out some this weekend, and let you know what I think.

I also have a pair of Dunu Titan 5s, which I got mostly for work because they don't isolate particularly well. They're a pretty good low-cost solution.
For Metal I like the Grado SR325e and the Beyer DT990 the most. I like the iGe just because it's quite close to the Grado house sound. Have heard of the Dunu but have not heard it actually.

Sep 10, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #4,903 of 12,284
For Metal I like the Grado SR325e and the Beyer DT990 the most. I like the iGe just because it's quite close to the Grado house sound. Have heard of the Dunu but have not heard it actually.

I just received the DT990 Pro as well. This is definitely going to be my recommendation for anyone who wants a good V-shaped open headphone for metal under $150 (yes, that's a lot of qualifiers, but I know people's tastes, budgets, and need for isolation are all different). I'm just going to try to bump up the mid-range a bit via EQ.

They're really solid headphones.

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #4,904 of 12,284
I just received the DT990 Pro as well. This is definitely going to be my recommendation for anyone who wants a good V-shaped open headphone for metal under $150 (yes, that's a lot of qualifiers, but I know people's tastes, budgets, and need for isolation are all different). I'm just going to try to bump up the mid-range a bit via EQ.

They're really solid headphones.

Glad you like them. The beyer peak is very pronounced on the 990, and I found the subbass majorly rolled off.

Just goes to show, everyone has different tastes. Good price though, hey?

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #4,905 of 12,284
Glad you like them. The beyer peak is very pronounced on the 990, and I found the subbass majorly rolled off.

Just goes to show, everyone has different tastes. Good price though, hey?

Yeah, I enjoy them, but I don't love them. They're fun, but I can tell I'm not going to keep them. It is good to try out headphones like this, as they're often the sort of headphones that get people into mid-fi and hi-fi audio, and it's good to know how they sound, when other people say they have them, or like them, or hate them, when giving recomendations. 

On a side note, can anyone recommend a good, flexible amp in the $200 range? I was just reading about the JDS Objective 2, and read it has trouble keeping up with more complex music. That's going to be a problem for me. Part of me thinks I should just sit tight, and save up for the Schiit Jutunheim, as it will do everything I need it to. So many choices... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back