1. HE-500
  2. Ether 1.1
  3. TH900
  4. T1.1 (Balanced; Late S/N)
  5. HD800 (Anax Mod)
  6. DT990/600 (Balanced)
  7. HE-400
  8. Sig Pro (ZMF Pads)

HE-500 in a 560 enclosure fixes any/all comfort complaints. Some may find the image a bit small depending on what they're used to. Some may prefer a slightly faster decay/less bloom.

Ether 1.1 is the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn. They sit right in the middle of pretty much every competitor across the board. They isolate a decent amount of outside noise too for an open back design. Some may want more bass and/or more treble. Some may want more warmth.

TH900 is comfortable for the most part. The loose clamp can be annoying. Pleather earpads are my biggest gripe. Some may want more mids, but these are by far the most fun pair of headphones on the market. Wam bam thank you ma'am. Highs may be a bit too prominent for some users who really want to crank the volume knob (to bring mids in line).

T1.1 is very neutral/balanced in my opinion. However, the image itself is very holographic and every FR range sounds distant. These are not an intimate headphone. You're not going to get any intensity out of them. Probably not my recommendation for metal (or rock).

HD800 is bass lite. Most users aren't going to enjoy the separation, imaging, distance, and complete lack of bass. Good for the technical aspect; the opposite of brutal/intense.

DT990/600 has a decent amount of mid bass to be fun with ample treble. The recessed mids and somewhat rolled off deeper bass may steer some users away. They're not the most natural sounding headphone, but for the money I think they're better than a lot of their competitors (that I've heard).

HE-400(not i or s) is fun. Not the hardest to drive, but QA/QC, headband, connectors, gimbels, pads, etc. blow. Comfort kills this headphone.

Sig Pro is a decent offering if you're forced to a closed back. S-Logic isn't for everyone and the stock pads are too small/shallow.

I'm curious myself as to what the Alpha Prime and Ether C 1.1 may bring to the table. ZMF Blackwood/Omni could be another possibility in this range. Oppo PM-1/2/3 all sound like they're too dark and their pads are too small for my ears. I'd audition the DT1770/1990 if given the opportunity as well. May fit the bill depending on the user. LCD-2 is simply too heavy imo; the sound may do it for some, but the treble was far too rolled off and imaging was very "in your head". THX00 sounds like a good offering; I've not gotten to hear one yet. Can't recommend the AQ NightHawk; they're comfortable, but very polarizing and stock cables blow (break). Can't recommend the HD600 either; they suck. Can't recommend AKG anything; uncomfortably big, poor seal, some have crap headbands, and I think there are better options out there.

At the end of the day, a fully open back headphone absolutely crushes a semi-open, semi-closed, and fully closed model. Some may still like how they sound though. I'll end with speakers sound better than all of the headphones I've listened to; assuming the room has been taken into account and EQ'd around it. For most users, headphones will still sound better for less.

How do you like your modded HE 500? The new HIFIMAN enclosure/headband/etc. is a great design.

I loved the HE-400i's signature, and I owned the HE-560, but I didn't have a good enough amp to truly appreciate it.

I know there was a lot of debate whether the newer Hifiman models were superior to the HE-500. Their improved comfort is unquestionable.

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #4,922 of 12,302
How do you like your modded HE 500? The new HIFIMAN enclosure/headband/etc. is a great design.

I loved the HE-400i's signature, and I owned the HE-560, but I didn't have a good enough amp to truly appreciate it.

I know there was a lot of debate whether the newer Hifiman models were superior to the HE-500. Their improved comfort is unquestionable.

I am convinced the polarity on the cable or headphones on the 560 you had was setup backwards. Don't think either of us have heard the 560 properly.

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #4,923 of 12,302
I am convinced the polarity on the cable or headphones on the 560 you had was setup backwards. Don't think either of us have heard the 560 properly.

You very well may be right about that. I just remembering loving the HE-400i, and not caring for the HE-560. I assumed it was because I was still coming out of my "treble-is-bad" phase, and the HE560 needed more juice than the Oppo HA-2 I had at the time could muster. That's a shame, because if I knew there was a problem with them, SonicElectronix would have swapped them out for me.

I think I will to try them again when I upgrade my amp.

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #4,924 of 12,302
You very well may be right about that. I just remembering loving the HE-400i, and not caring for the HE-560. I assumed it was because I was still coming out of my "treble-is-bad" phase, and the HE560 needed more juice than the Oppo HA-2 I had at the time could muster. That's a shame, because if I knew there was a problem with them, SonicElectronix would have swapped them out for me.

I think I will to try them again when I upgrade my amp.

Soundstage was all super flat and messed it. It didn't click for me until I put a new cable on an iem the wrong way (2 pin) . Same messed up sound.

BTW, hd700 big expansive soundstage, super fast and tight sound, lots of bass.

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #4,925 of 12,302
An hd700S from sennheiser would be a headphone I would have to try. The original is too piercing in the treble for me personally.

Though oddly enough I did enjoy the hd800, though it may have been modded.

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #4,927 of 12,302
hi everyone,

I bought the LCD2 partly due to this thread since I listen to hard rock/heavy metal music mostly. I am upgrading from my BeyerDynamic DT770 which is an incredible headphone. I now use a modi2 magni 1 and it is innapropriate. I have significantly better sound (but less resolution maybe) when I plug the LCD2 in the speakers connexion in the back of my computer. The sound is more open and lively. What is the best amp for $500-1k that will deliver hard rock with energy, great bass and improved soundstage? thanks for any suggestion.

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #4,928 of 12,302
An hd700S from sennheiser would be a headphone I would have to try. The original is too piercing in the treble for me personally.

Though oddly enough I did enjoy the hd800, though it may have been modded.

I've heard a lot of that has to do with the garbage cable they give you for it. I've read from numerous people a simple cable swap makes a huge difference on the HD700. I haven't heard it personally, so I can't confirm.

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #4,929 of 12,302
hi everyone,

I bought the LCD2 partly due to this thread since I listen to hard rock/heavy metal music mostly. I am upgrading from my BeyerDynamic DT770 which is an incredible headphone. I now use a modi2 magni 1 and it is innapropriate. I have significantly better sound (but less resolution maybe) when I plug the LCD2 in the speakers connexion in the back of my computer. The sound is more open and lively. What is the best amp for $500-1k that will deliver hard rock with energy, great bass and improved soundstage? thanks for any suggestion.

Try to get your hands on a used Cavalli Liquid Carbon, if you can. The first run Carbons all come with a transferable lifetime warranty.

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #4,931 of 12,302
Hi
I went with the lyr2 because the cavalli price combined with custom fees were slightly out of my fixed budget for an amp. thanks for the help.

Sep 17, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #4,932 of 12,302

Well, that's an elite class you are talking about. There is the TH900... that one hits with the same level of power as the HE-6 and Abyss, IMO. There is also a new headphone coming out later this year that will have HE-6/Abyss/TH900-level impact. Can't say much more than that, though. 

I tried scanning your posts, apologies if I missed it, but have you been able to identify these mystery headphones yet?

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #4,933 of 12,302
I tried scanning your posts, apologies if I missed it, but have you been able to identify these mystery headphones yet?

I have not. You will know about it sometime within the next 4 weeks.

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #4,934 of 12,302
Listening to my k7xx this morning. Reminded me how excellent it is for $200. I mean I could be happy with it forever if money was too tight for sure. If you are looking for a great metal headphone that has moderate amp needs and is cheap and does other genres well I would recommend it for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back