Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 25, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #1,082 of 12,315
Slightly more leak than a LP2? I owned a M100 and the TH900 leaks quite a bit more that is certain.

Apr 25, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #1,084 of 12,315
Hey everyone,

I got my NAD viso hp50 by ups 2 days ago.
I don't think I can do a review like you guys are doing, detailing every part of the sound, but I would like to give some quick feedback on the product, the sound, the comfort...

The sound

The sound seems to come from all over the place (I think it's what you call soundstage). It's very interesting and quite enjoyable when playing folk metal with a lot of different instrument (ex : eluveitie).

If I could make a comparison with my ATH-M50x, I would say the M50x are more direct and a bit more aggressive. Every instrument is more "blended" with the viso HP50.

Isolation is really good (better than the M50x). Nothing to complain here... :)

The product / quality

I have a mix feeling here.
The headphone are great. They seem to be solid and they look great. Why the mixed feeling ?

First, they come with 2 cables, and to be honest both are completely useless. They feel cheap, they are badly done and I will probably need to replace them (probably use one I got with my ATH). Yes, you can use the second cable to play/pause/vol up / down with you iphone but honestly I don't care. These headphone are not what I would call portable...

They also come with a great leather case, a connector when you are on a place and a adapter. It's cool but it's mostly stuff I will not use and that will end in a box. I would exchange all that stuff for one good (and longer!!!) cable anytime.

The comfort

The headphone are comfortable. They are still a bit tight but it will probably get better after some time wearing them. My ears are lightly touching the back but nothing annoying. Again, if I could make a comparison, I would say the M50x are a bit more roomy and a bit more comfortable.

My girlfriend can't use them at all because she can't adjust them correctly. At the minimum, she's still have a finger between her head and the headband. I'm at the minimum and I'm just fine. So kind of lucky but be aware if you have a small head.

Another negative point : you can't really twist them or keep them around your neck if someone is talking to you (too tight!).

Have a good day!

Apr 25, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #1,085 of 12,315
First, they come with 2 cables, and to be honest both are completely useless. They feel cheap, they are badly done and I will probably need to replace them (probably use one I got with my ATH). Yes, you can use the second cable to play/pause/vol up / down with you iphone but honestly I don't care. These headphone are not what I would call portable...

They also come with a great leather case, a connector when you are on a place and a adapter. It's cool but it's mostly stuff I will not use and that will end in a box. I would exchange all that stuff for one good (and longer!!!) cable anytime.

The standard Monoprice cable on Amazon makes a great replacement. They have it in 3', 5' and 10'. That's the main cable I use with the NAD. Highly recommend. It sounds great, and somehow it never seems to tangle.

Apr 25, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #1,087 of 12,315
Looking at the same graph I posted, ~5 to ~10 dB less isolation on the TH900 at different frequencies than an LP2. I guess how much you perceive that difference personally is a either a lot more or a little more. Closed back to closed back, maybe that's a lot. I've not really experienced a lot of closed headphones compared to open. It's certainly better than an HD600 or Fidelio X2 for isolation. Hahaha.

10db is appreciated as a doubling of volume, so that would qualify for me as leaking a lot more sound.

Apr 25, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #1,089 of 12,315
Fair point, double next to nothing is still next to nothing, something I point out fairly often at work. Depends on exactly how much the first one leaks in absolute terms whether the doubling is particularly relevant.

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #1,090 of 12,315
My V-MODA Crossfade LP leaks sound pretty badly. I only know this because I took it off while music was playing, pushed the ear pads close together to emulate them being on a head, and...I could clearly hear music from outside of them. lol

That headphone must not be in much demand. No one wants mine...

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #1,091 of 12,315
Yep, I agree with the inclusion of the HE-560 on the list. Freakin' incredible speed and detail with my metal be it metalcore/death/or otherwise (bass and drums especially) and my most punishing tracks don't leave me with blood dripping out of my ears too; just pure enjoyment of the artistry.

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #1,092 of 12,315
  Yep, I agree with the inclusion of the HE-560 on the list. Freakin' incredible speed and detail with my metal be it metalcore/death/or otherwise (bass and drums especially) and my most punishing tracks don't leave me with blood dripping out of my ears too; just pure enjoyment of the artistry.

I just saw your recent post in the battle of the flagships thread!
biggrin.gif

I wanted to mention how I find it odd that very few people bother with a parametric equalizer when they aren't satisfied with a headphone, and instead spend loads of dough on things like tube amps to try to tweak the sound -- which is fine, but I just think it's odd how free resources with more features aren't typically the first resort.

On a side note... Punishing tracks + blood dripping out of your ears sounds so metal! \m/

Ooh! I just noticed you own the JVC HA-SZ2000. I ordered that, but canceled my order because it was taking forever and I needed other things. I'll definitely get it eventually. Any thoughts on that headphone with metal? I know most people who get it use it for bass-heavy music and usually boost the bass with EQ.

Edit: And now I just remembered that we have talked in the past! I must have forgotten since you changed your avatar.

Apr 25, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #1,093 of 12,315
My V-MODA Crossfade LP leaks sound pretty badly. I only know this because I took it off while music was playing, pushed the ear pads close together to emulate them being on a head, and...I could clearly hear music from outside of them. lol

That headphone must not be in much demand. No one wants mine...

ya, not a very popular pair of headphones. rly just for bassheads or ppl on a really tight budget. pretty old model too and there have been black friday sales down to ~$70 for them every year since the new m100s were released way back.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #1,095 of 12,315

I just saw your recent post in the battle of the flagships thread!
biggrin.gif

I wanted to mention how I find it odd that very few people bother with a parametric equalizer when they aren't satisfied with a headphone, and instead spend loads of dough on things like tube amps to try to tweak the sound -- which is fine, but I just think it's odd how free resources with more features aren't typically the first resort.

On a side note... Punishing tracks + blood dripping out of your ears sounds so metal! \m/

Ooh! I just noticed you own the JVC HA-SZ2000. I ordered that, but canceled my order because it was taking forever and I needed other things. I'll definitely get it eventually. Any thoughts on that headphone with metal? I know most people who get it use it for bass-heavy music and usually boost the bass with EQ.

Edit: And now I just remembered that we have talked in the past! I must have forgotten since you changed your avatar.

Yes, this is true but I think why some prefer hardware manipulation is because it can be harder to make considerable change in the frequency response with a parametric equalizer without introducing distortion than to get equipment that tunes the sound up but won't introduce distortion. I was curious and I tried the equalizer APO +6 dB 30hz-and-under preset I use on my SZ2000 and K550''s with the HE-560 and I heard quite noticeably the distortion and unbalance it causes. Maybe I'd find a sweet spot if I spent more time trying but to my ears the headphone doesn't need it even if I could. 

I'm not saying I'd be interested in thorough tube rolling in the future (it's a wallet's nightmare), but I was just conveying with that post that the setup and source feeding it will always be an important factor on what is heard through the headphones. My first resort is always to eq but not every headphone reacts all that well to it as I found out. I wouldn't have even written anything if he didn't mention he tried it on a poor chain anyway so realistically with a headphone like this one that doesn't work with every possible setup out there, there's a big chance you'll hear exactly what was fed. I think it's safe to assume eq would be a hopeless remedy in that context.

JVC SZ2000, I personally only stick with electronic music and hip hop with that. But not just any track out of those genres either, grooves and deep bass with rumble to shake some skin on my face 
basshead.gif
. I guess you hit the nail on the head :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back