Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 29, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #1,114 of 12,322
  HD650 are not recommended for metal but the AKG K712 PRO are.

Maybe you should get them?

Not recommended by you and certain other individuals, you mean. There is no overlord who makes absolute objective recommendations. This hobby is subjective. I have no interest in AKG headphones aside from the K1000, K812, and K7XX, and only out of curiosity.

People seem to drool over the Hifiman HE-400 but I would rather take the Focal Spirit Professional. And then I would get more expensive model as my second cans. Probably Fostex TH900.

The Focal Spirit Professional is my favorite headphone so far. I like it more than the HE-400i, HD 700, and every other headphone I've heard. But I probably won't buy it again until I have an ultra-high-end headphone collection.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #1,115 of 12,322
HD650 are not recommended for metal but the AKG K712 PRO are.

Maybe you should get them?

(Really looking forward to the impressions on metal with Mrspeakers flagship Ether)

hes only interested in popular or expensive headphones hahah. hence sennheiser over akg or beyer :p

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #1,117 of 12,322

Nah, I only care about sound quality. I actually sorta disliked the Sennheiser headphones I've heard so far.

I think HD 650 is a good choice or HD 600 if you want something more neutral since I notice the FOcal Spirit is called neutral too so maybe you'd like that more.

or go straight for the HD 800 lol. I think you tried the HD700 most recently? That's the one that split people in half or I think the most disliked so far

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #1,118 of 12,322
I think HD 650 is a good choice or HD 600 if you want something more neutral since I notice the FOcal Spirit is called neutral too so maybe you'd like that more.

or go straight for the HD 800 lol. I think you tried the HD700 most recently? That's the one that split people in half or I think the most disliked so far

those 4 headphones actually all have different sound sigs and relative strengths, so really hard to recommend them all at once at one person I think.

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #1,119 of 12,322
those 4 headphones actually all have different sound sigs and relative strengths, so really hard to recommend them all at once at one person I think.

Well he is gonna try them all at some point if he wants to try the most recommended on sound quality lol, or damn near all. HD650 first and if he doesn't like that HD600 is more neutral. HD800 is a no brainer as a TOTL headphone. HD700 he already heard them I'm pretty sure.

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #1,120 of 12,322
Well he is gonna try them all at some point if he wants to try the most recommended on sound quality lol, or damn near all. HD650 first and if he doesn't like that HD600 is more neutral. HD800 is a no brainer as a TOTL headphone. HD700 he already heard them I'm pretty sure.

hahah he is like a pokemon trainer dude. i feel like the hd700 has the most polarizing reviews out of the sennheiser line-uo. prob the worse one to go for without a personal demo imo.

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #1,121 of 12,322
hes only interested in popular or expensive headphones hahah. hence sennheiser over akg or beyer :p

Nah, I only care about sound quality. I actually sorta disliked the Sennheiser headphones I've heard so far.

Realy? Which Senns have you tried? I saw the 590 & 700 in your profile. Any others?

Sorry to hear your HD800 deal fell through by the way. HD650 is good with the right tunes.... I use mine quite a bit. I'm actually building a bottlehead crack for mine next month. I just consider them to be a conditional recommendation because they are amp pickey and not great with fast music.

Apr 30, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #1,122 of 12,322
  Anyone have thoughts on the HD 650 with metal?

I have some.

For the review were used 650 with a stock cable and with a hybrid cable from Toxic. The first listen with Toxic was very optimistic - a bass was noticeably added, "veil" almost dissipated. But alas, everything appeared not so simple, tonal balance balance was severely damaged by Toxic, instead of flat, accurate balance we have the classical U-shaped balance. On some genres it became inbearable to listen 650. Anyway, it makes sense to consider result of testing 650 as the sum for two cables. And I am sure that at more thoughtful selection of cables it is possible to reach much higher results.
Perhaps there is no sense to describe in details so well known headhones as 650, I will be brief. With stock cable we have not too powerful bass, for metal - on the verge of suitability, for part of metal subgenres - beyond. Right and good mids. Darkish "veiled" highs. Soundstage is slightly wider than average, detail level - not the highest. With Toxic - bass increases in the volume (the subbass doesn't appear), control of a bass becomes worse. "Veil", due to raising highs, dissipates.

I will stop only on comparative pluses of ears with different cables:
HD 650 (Toxic cable)
Doom: Darkness, no haste and prosperity of a bass. Very tasty.
Sludge, Stoner: Lighter, with more bass, than stock 650 - that's what is necessary on Sludge.
Alternative: Quite vigorously and moderately punchy, enough of "crazyness" (especially on 650 standarts)

HD 650 (stock cable)
Heavy Metal: 650 play excellent, true and original without stock cable. Smooth and clean.
Goth: Balanced and sad, darkness o- is a hallmark, a notorious veil adds atmosphere and doesn't cause irritation.
Thrash: Flat tonal balance, bass quite sufficient for a genre. The darkish signature creates feeling of slowness here, it seems admissible flavoring feature, someone could find it. Me for example )
Extreme metal subgenres - Black, Death, Grindcore headphones, alas, do not play and on my feelings won't play with any cable - seem not possible to rise detail and speed levels so considerably.

Grand total. With couple of cables we have headhones, rather universal on metal, which can be recommended to fans of a dark sound. They aren't favourites, in 2014 there are options more interesting. (Please, perceive the conclusion adjusted for my taste of a bright sound))

Apr 30, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #1,123 of 12,322

I thought you saw my posts about how the Focal Spirit Professional is my favorite headphone so far. lol

And yeah, I'm not a fan of the HD 700. I had the chance to get an HD 800 for $400 (because it wasn't in the best condition), but because I am moving (in a few hours, actually), I couldn't spare the expense.

A few of my reasons for wanting the HD 650 are:

1. It is one of the most well-regarded headphones.
  2. Sheer curiosity.
  3. My best friend owns one (along with an HD 800), so we can have more to talk about.
  4. I can get it for a great price.

I know it has a more dark and smooth tonal balance, but I have found that I like and dislike all sorts of headphones within the context of each sound signature. Heck, I like the Bose QC15 more than the HD 700, though I admit the latter is far superior in many ways.

hahah he is like a pokemon trainer dude. i feel like the hd700 has the most polarizing reviews out of the sennheiser line-uo. prob the worse one to go for without a personal demo imo.

LOL!

I wanna hear the very best, like no one ever heard. To catch them is my real test, to review them is my cause. I will travel across Head-Fi, searching far and wide. Each headphone to understand the power that's inside. Gotta catch 'em all!

Check out these Pokémon headphones. XD

I already owned the HD 700, so that base is covered. (Except for trying it out on various systems, which I don't care enough to do.)

Realy? Which Senns have you tried? I saw the 590 & 700 in your profile. Any others?

Sorry to hear your HD800 deal fell through by the way. HD650 is good with the right tunes.... I use mine quite a bit. I'm actually building a bottlehead crack for mine next month. I just consider them to be a conditional recommendation because they are amp pickey and not great with fast music.

I have heard the 558, 590, and 700.

I only heard the 558 briefly. Liked what I heard, but only heard a few songs.

I think something was wrong with the 590 I owned. Sounded really muffled, like listening to music from outside a building. (Whereas all the reviews talked about how bright and exciting it was. Go figure.) Sounded about the same whether it was from my laptop's headphone jacks or a Schiit Magni 2 Uber amp.

The 700 was obviously of a higher caliber, but had problems. Unlike most people, I did not find it to be bright. Just had some mild peaks, I guess. Not interested in describing what I disliked about it.

I have some.

Thanks. Must have missed that.

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #1,124 of 12,322
@Music Alchemist: Have you considered/tried Audeze LCD-2 or LCD-3, with or without fazor? My understanding and experience, based on owning and loving LCD-2f and having tried HD650 twice (straight outta iPod and with a gazillion dollar dac and amp), is that LCD-2/3 is for metal what HD650 aspires to be, including in the field of black/death/grind where the latter seems to fall short. I haven't tried pre-fazor LCD-2, but understand that it is a tad closer to HD650 than my fazor version which is less (yet still) dark but with a bit more energy/sparkle in the higher regions (which I understand pre-fazors did not lack either). 

@levap can likely provide comparison, confirm/disagree and elaborate further. 

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #1,125 of 12,322

I thought you saw my posts about how the Focal Spirit Professional is my favorite headphone so far. lol

And yeah, I'm not a fan of the HD 700. I had the chance to get an HD 800 for $400 (because it wasn't in the best condition), but because I am moving (in a few hours, actually), I couldn't spare the expense.

A few of my reasons for wanting the HD 650 are:

1. It is one of the most well-regarded headphones.
  2. Sheer curiosity.
  3. My best friend owns one (along with an HD 800), so we can have more to talk about.
  4. I can get it for a great price.

I know it has a more dark and smooth tonal balance, but I have found that I like and dislike all sorts of headphones within the context of each sound signature. Heck, I like the Bose QC15 more than the HD 700, though I admit the latter is far superior in many ways.

LOL!

Yeah I saw your post about the Focal Spirit, that's what made me think the HD600 might be something you like. Anyway, I think this whole pokemon collector thing you're doing is going about this the best way to have a great taste in headphones when you finally hear what you've been wanting. And you get to release them in the wild when you have no use for them xD

I wish I had a temperament to constantly have to deal with my dumbass government post office, especially on a weekly basis. They never deliver outright to me or attempt to at least and just put a note on the delivery card saying I couldn't respond so I have to go pick up my stuff at the post office everytime -_-*

FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!??? Holy screw**** ****, I don't know what that says about the condition but sounds like a no brainer if it was fully functional at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back