Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Apr 21, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #1,051 of 12,322

Were you able to hear the Yggdrasil too? I really want to buy it and compare it to affordable DACs. I'm hoping there's a huge difference.

Not really attentively, but there was a Ragnarok and Yggdrasil set up with some HE or Audeze stuff. I gave it a quickie. It's definitely sweet.

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #1,052 of 12,322
Really depends on your preferred sub genres and artists. If you are into more progressive stuff, the production tends to be a lot more dynamic, and more suited to the HD800's strengths. If you're primarily into lo-Fi black metal, it's going to be pretty disappointing.

He doesn't even listen to metal, remember?
biggrin.gif

Give it time. 
evil_smiley.gif

Anyway, by "your" I meant "one's". 

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #1,054 of 12,322
  Tough, but you have to be honest and ask yourself is that the kind of investment it's going to take to get the sound you like out of your $ 800-2K HPs. Then, you're really talking about a 5K investment or what have you. Do you see yourself stepping into that kind of price bracket for a HP rig. I'd rather put that kind of change into a speaker system which is pretty much what I've done this year in smaller increments. Some people listen to HPs hours at a time. I like to go back and forth, but can honestly say I enjoy listening to speakers much more. It sounds more natural to me. I can think better if I'm working for instance-HP's are too much "in my head" to really write, compose docs, etc. I like to be ale to move around.  But , that's just me.

One thing for sure, I totally appreciate the folks that invest that kind of dough into speaker rigs that allow me to listen to them. They do sound killer. priorities I guess.

All that really is just a note to myself as much as anything to be advised when listening to these big flavor of the year kind of cans-how are they going to sound with my rig and do I envision myself doubling or tripling the price w/ associated gear. My solution has been to invest in speaker system source components that I can use (DAC) for both. It would be hard for me to imagine dropping $3-5 K for a HP only solution...........

Of course I could change my mind next week
ksc75smile.gif

I tend to agree. I have a speaker system like what you describe at home, but sometimes I'd prefer not to disturb my girlfriend with my music, so some headphones would be convenient. Also headphones have the advantage of not having to deal with room acoustics.

I agree, though, that some gear is just too expensive. I wouldn't buy a headphone amp that costs more than the headphone itself (a reason that 'stats become an unattractive option pretty quickly). I wouldn't buy a DAP that costs more than my speakers, either.

That being said, I've not yet found that mix of detail and sound signature that I like in headphones. And the detail requirement does edge toward the summit-fi side of things.

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #1,055 of 12,322
  I tend to agree. I have a speaker system like what you describe at home, but sometimes I'd prefer not to disturb my girlfriend with my music, so some headphones would be convenient. Also headphones have the advantage of not having to deal with room acoustics.

I agree, though, that some gear is just too expensive. I wouldn't buy a headphone amp that costs more than the headphone itself (a reason that 'stats become an unattractive option pretty quickly). I wouldn't buy a DAP that costs more than my speakers, either.

That being said, I've not yet found that mix of detail and sound signature that I like in headphones. And the detail requirement does edge toward the summit-fi side of things.

I'm with you. TBC, I love headphones, they're just my number 2. When wife and kid are sleeping, or doing HW or whatever, they're brilliant. And, some recordings with great details sound amazing on HPs.

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #1,056 of 12,322
Guys and gals, anyone compare Ultrasone Pro 900 and Performance 880 with all types of metal?
Priorities are:
1, comfort for a few hours listening per day at work.
2, sound quality.
3, sound leakage,

Thanks,

Ian.

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #1,057 of 12,322
Guys and gals, anyone compare Ultrasone Pro 900 and Performance 880 with all types of metal?
Priorities are:
1, comfort for a few hours listening per day at work.
2, sound quality.
3, sound leakage,

Thanks,

Ian.

I haven't tried the Performance 880, but owning the Pro900, I'd say I probably wouldn't buy an Ultrasone headphone again. They're pretty metallic sounding and timbre is way off. The instruments all sound fake. Unless you listen to electronic music only, there's not much reason to own an Ultrasone.

Also, to answer your other questions: no, the Pro900 is not comfortable. The top pad digs into your head and the earpads are among the worst I've tried. Sound isolation is very good... probably due to those awful, rock-hard earpads.

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #1,058 of 12,322
  I haven't tried the Performance 880, but owning the Pro900, I'd say I probably wouldn't buy an Ultrasone headphone again. They're pretty metallic sounding and timbre is way off. The instruments all sound fake. Unless you listen to electronic music only, there's not much reason to own an Ultrasone.

They make lots of headphones, though. I've heard good things about the Ultrasone Signature PRO, and ironically, pretty horrible things about some of their higher-end models. I think it would be best to speak only of specific models instead of blanket statements about an entire company, since not all their headphones are the same.

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #1,059 of 12,322
  They make lots of headphones, though. I've heard good things about the Ultrasone Signature PRO, and ironically, pretty horrible things about some of their higher-end models. I think it would be best to speak only of specific models instead of blanket statements about an entire company, since not all their headphones are the same.

no, I think it's safe to say all ultrasone headphones are horribly overpriced for their performance compared to alternatives on the market. the pro 900 is really only worth $300 max, don't buy it at the current price. much better headphones out there at that price point.

Apr 21, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #1,060 of 12,322
  no, I think it's safe to say all ultrasone headphones are horribly overpriced for their performance compared to alternatives on the market. the pro 900 is really only worth $300 max, don't buy it at the current price. much better headphones out there at that price point.

I said nothing about value. (I agree with you about that.) I was talking about sound signature. The statement I was referring to implied that they all sound the same or at least very similar.

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #1,061 of 12,322

I said nothing about value. (I agree with you about that.) I was talking about sound signature. The statement I was referring to implied that they all sound the same or at least very similar.

Not really so much a comment about sound signature as it is their house sound. Their "s-logic" acoustic engineering philosophy is novel, but often results in some odd and unnatural colorations. This complaint is well documented even in their highest end models. If you ever take apart one of their headphones, it becomes quite obvious that the magic and the fatal flaw stem from the same engineering decisions.

Apr 21, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #1,062 of 12,322
Not really so much a comment about sound signature as it is their house sound. Their "s-logic" acoustic engineering philosophy is novel, but often results in some odd and unnatural colorations. This complaint is well documented even in their highest end models. If you ever take apart one of their headphones, it becomes quite obvious that the magic and the fatal flaw stem from the same engineering decisions.

Fair enough. But without hearing them all, it would not be accurate to say they all sound the same or even similar. Case in point: the Signature PRO vs the Edition 10.

Apr 22, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #1,063 of 12,322
I felt the same about the Pro 900 I heard and the Edition 12 I demoed. I hated them, the ED10 was utter garbage for the price, at least to these ears. The Signature Pro and Sig DJ are good headphones as fully sealed cans which can be used portably, of course semi open headphone like the TH900 are better. I'd say that they both are in the very upper level when talking about as fully size headphone that can be used walking, on the train etc. The isolation is top notch and they are easily driven, fold down, fold flat and come with a carry case. Of course, compared to exceptional open headphones they get smoked at the price - but that is to be expected. Both of those models do not have the relentless metallic hue that the Pro 900 has or the pure treble assault of a ED10.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #1,064 of 12,322
The Edition 8 isn't up to much either, vastly overpriced.

Apr 22, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #1,065 of 12,322
[VIDEO]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L34S4Tt1EuQ[/VIDEO]

And it was just a jazz. Imagine, what they can do with your ears, using poor recordet death metal!

Do we have a volunteers here or holy martyrs? :evil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back