Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jul 23, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #8,791 of 12,284
Any reason why you haven’t tried the HD800/HD800S yet? That seems right up your alley. I also think you might enjoy the ZMF Auteur and the MrSpeakers ETHER Flow. If your budget can support it, I’d also strongly recommend the Stax L700 with the 353X, which I think would fit your tastes perfectly.

You probably won’t care for the 660S or the ÆON Flow Open - both of them run on the warm side and neither one is super spacious. Of the two, I think you would probably like the 660S more, but I actually think the ÆON Flow Closed fits your tastes better than the open one - it’s more neutral and less warm, so in effect, it sounds more spacious.

Still, my top 3 picks for you would be L700, Auteur and HD800 on a warm setup.

HD800/S hasn't been available for listening at any store I have been to. I have heard that HD800 vocals sound distant and it isn't very engaging but the soundstage is massive. I'm not really into massive soundstage; I didn't like AKG K712 Pro which had large soundstage.

Auteur and Ether Flow sound interesting, though they don't have a dealer in my country so I would have to buy them without hearing them. Stax L700 itself may fit my budget but with Stax amp it is just too expensive (both together cost around 3000€ here).

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #8,792 of 12,284
HD800/S hasn't been available for listening at any store I have been to. I have heard that HD800 vocals sound distant and it isn't very engaging but the soundstage is massive. I'm not really into massive soundstage; I didn't like AKG K712 Pro which had large soundstage.

Auteur and Ether Flow sound interesting, though they don't have a dealer in my country so I would have to buy them without hearing them. Stax L700 itself may fit my budget but with Stax amp it is just too expensive (both together cost around 3000€ here).

The HD800 will be transparent to your chain, so it depends on your source and amp. I find the vocals to be quite engaging.

I’d watch the for sale forum for the Stax. 353Xs often go for about $500-$550 USD. I’m quite sure you could score a lightly used pair within budget, with a little patience, if that’s acceptable to you.

Jul 23, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #8,793 of 12,284
What open back headphones would you suggest for symphonic metal (mostly with female singers), rock, little bit of classical and opera, in price range 0 - 1500€?

I do prefer more bright headphones than dark, but not sibilant. I like vocals to be up front and violins/pianos sound natural. I also like headphones to be engaging/toe tapping to listen to.

I currently own Onkyo A800 which I do like but they are little too bright and bass can be too overwhelming sometimes. Also they aren't comfortable to wear.

I have tested following headphones at store: Focal Elear, Clear, Utopia, Hifiman Sundara. From these I liked Utopia most but it is way over my price range. Sundara and Elear had distant sounding vocals and both were too warm sounding for me. Clear sounded quite ok but I'm not sure if it is worth it's asking price.
I have also considered Sennheiser HD 660 S and Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow Open. I have owned HD 650 in the past and it sounded too veiled and warm for me so I'm not sure would HD 660 S be that much "better".

Are there other headphones I should look into?

One of the open back Beyerdynamics might be good for you: DT770, Amiron Home, etc.

Jul 23, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #8,794 of 12,284
Jul 23, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #8,797 of 12,284
I guess you mean DT1990? I haven't heard it but I have owned DT990 before and it was way too sibilant. Also I didn't like its metallic sounding treble.

Yes, that's more like it. Also the DT990.

I am very treble averse so never gravitated towards brands like Beyerdynamic or Grado that some describe as bright. Was just reacting to your self-description.

I did hear the Amiron Home, didn't much care for it. Then again, my tastes are sufficiently different from yours that my reaction to the HP probably is no guidance for you...

Jul 23, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #8,798 of 12,284
@lyrean

If you have a strong solid state amp you can save a ton of cash and grab a pair of K240 sextetts. They fit your needs to a tee,though the soundstage is only average.
Click on my Youtube channel for video review.

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #8,799 of 12,284
What open back headphones would you suggest for symphonic metal (mostly with female singers), rock, little bit of classical and opera, in price range 0 - 1500€?

I do prefer more bright headphones than dark, but not sibilant. I like vocals to be up front and violins/pianos sound natural. I also like headphones to be engaging/toe tapping to listen to.

I currently own Onkyo A800 which I do like but they are little too bright and bass can be too overwhelming sometimes. Also they aren't comfortable to wear.

I have tested following headphones at store: Focal Elear, Clear, Utopia, Hifiman Sundara. From these I liked Utopia most but it is way over my price range. Sundara and Elear had distant sounding vocals and both were too warm sounding for me. Clear sounded quite ok but I'm not sure if it is worth it's asking price.
I have also considered Sennheiser HD 660 S and Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow Open. I have owned HD 650 in the past and it sounded too veiled and warm for me so I'm not sure would HD 660 S be that much "better".

Try to find an He6 ... that would sound as you desire... or may you look to an he560 if you can't find the he6, fast detailed and little bright , but non sibilant...

stay away from AEON open , is the contrary of what you are looking for!!!!

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #8,800 of 12,284
HD800 ... for me is an anti-metal headphone , i didn't liked it at all ... only T1 beyer is uglier in my opinion.

Auteur , i have it is lovely but if you find sundara too warm i find auteur a little warmer than sundara , but still a lovely headphone ... to find something better i had to listen to LCD4 and Susvara

Jul 23, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #8,802 of 12,284
Hey all. I just love my Sennheiser HD660S but i would like to have some more "exiting" hp. Budget around 1000€. What you suggest?
I listen mostly prog heavy-metal-symphonic-power basicly allkind of prog. Also some movie soundtracks like Gladiator, GoT etc.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #8,803 of 12,284
I don't know if I said this in this thread already, but really, for any kind of metal music, Ultrasone Signature DXP is in my top choices, absolutely top 3 from all the clsoed-back headphones I hread to date :)

Punchyness, sparkle, dynamics, PRaT, Guitar textures and soundstage make it a fit with virtually any metal type :)

P.S. Listening to some Ozzy with Burson Play -> Ultrasone Signature DXP right this moement and I'm in love!

Ultrasone-Signature-DXP-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-20.jpg

\
Ultrasone-Signature-DXP-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-32.jpg

Ultrasone-Signature-DXP-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-28.jpg

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #8,804 of 12,284

I recommend looking into the ZMF Auteurs! I own those and they are perfect for music like Nightwish, Epica, Ayreon. They have great midrange for vocals but also a lot of impact as well!

Jul 23, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #8,805 of 12,284
Hey all. I just love my Sennheiser HD660S but i would like to have some more "exiting" hp. Budget around 1000€. What you suggest?
I listen mostly prog heavy-metal-symphonic-power basicly allkind of prog. Also some movie soundtracks like Gladiator, GoT etc.

The ZMF Atticus is within your budget and will definitely add a lot more excitement into the mix. Really nice staging and tons of impact. Big, thick weighty sound that delivers the music with crushing power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back