Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jul 23, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #8,806 of 12,302
I don't know if I said this in this thread already, but really, for any kind of metal music, Ultrasone Signature DXP is in my top choices, absolutely top 3 from all the clsoed-back headphones I hread to date :)

Punchyness, sparkle, dynamics, PRaT, Guitar textures and soundstage make it a fit with virtually any metal type :)

P.S. Listening to some Ozzy with Burson Play -> Ultrasone Signature DXP right this moement and I'm in love!

I'm glad you're enjoying them. I did not like those at all.

Jul 23, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #8,807 of 12,302

Ive always been curious about Ultrasones myself but the reports of harsh treble has always kinda scared me off.
My sights are now squarely on a Gilmore Lite Mkll and a pair of Ash Auteurs,and then im done...for awhile(I hope)

EDIT: Theres a helluva deal on an ATH AD2000 (non-X-version) in the classifieds right now.

Very,very good headphone for metal. Aggressive,in your face presentation. Good thump,lightning fast,lovely mids when driven properly,dryish sounding. Amp picky though.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #8,808 of 12,302

You tried Signature DXP and didn't like them?

Care to share why? :)

I am finding them to be some of the best there are...

Ive always been curious about Ultrasones myself but the reports of harsh treble has always kinda scared me off.
My sights are now squarely on a Gilmore Lite Mkll and a pair of Ash Auteurs,and then im done...for awhile(I hope)

EDIT: Theres a helluva deal on an ATH AD2000 (non-X-version) in the classifieds right now.

Very,very good headphone for metal. Aggressive,in your face presentation. Good thump,lightning fast,lovely mids when driven properly,dryish sounding. Amp picky though.

Signature DXP does not have a harsh treble at all, I think that some of the Edition series do have a harsher overall sound, but Signature DXP, Signature DJ and Dj One Pro, the ones I mainly used before, are not harsh at all :)

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #8,809 of 12,302
How about the midrange on he560? Is it as recessed as in Sundara?
I didn't like too much he560 ... a too thin and cold to me ...you shuld listen to it befor buying or find some dealer that gives you a 15 or 30 days of refound if you don't like it ... 560 some loves it some hates it ...
he6 ... i haven't known a person who doesn't like it...

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #8,810 of 12,302
I recommend looking into the ZMF Auteurs! I own those and they are perfect for music like Nightwish, Epica, Ayreon. They have great midrange for vocals but also a lot of impact as well!
I can only confirm this ... as i said only susvara do it better ... he1000 for epic / power may be a little better than auteur but ita a very little difference to me ... but we are in the warm side of the headphones

Jul 23, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #8,811 of 12,302
You tried Signature DXP and didn't like them?

Care to share why? :)

I am finding them to be some of the best there are...

Signature DXP does not have a harsh treble at all, I think that some of the Edition series do have a harsher overall sound, but Signature DXP, Signature DJ and Dj One Pro, the ones I mainly used before, are not harsh at all :)

Yeah, I listened to all of those at CanJam SoCal (in part because I know you like them and you piqued my curiosity). I didn’t really care for the sound on any of them. It’s been several months, so I can’t give you very detailed notes. I remember feeling that if they were half the price they are, I’d be a lot more positive about them.

The only Ultrasone I thought was truly awesome was the Edition 15, which is unfortunately prohibitively expensive at $3K and extremely difficult to acquire given the very limited run.

I feel like Ultrasone needs to take stock of the current competitive market and re-price their products to be more in line with the rest of the options terms of price to performance ratio. I don’t see how someone could listen to an ÆON, Atticus or LCD-2C and then go pick up an Ultrasone. If it was $299 instead of $599, it would be another story, but as it is, I feel the price is steep for the performance. I realize you probably don’t share this opinion, and that’s okay. Just popping in with my two cents on it.

Jul 24, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #8,812 of 12,302
Thanks for the recommendations!

I have narrowed my choices to 2 for now: ZMF Auteur and Focal Clear. Based on reviews Auteur might be a good choice but DMS3 said it's an upgrade for HD650 so if it shares the same sound signature, I'm not sure. I wasn't a fan of HD650. ZMF headphones are also difficult to get here in Europe.

I borrowed my friend's Focal Elear and I have been quite liking it but it does have its problems, which should be somewhat corrected in Clear. Elear doesn't shine with female vocals for sure.

I have also heard good things about Hifiman Edition X V2 and that is in my price range. Does anyone here have experience with it? I have a small head though they may be too big.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #8,813 of 12,302
Hi auteur shines with female voices listened to epica nightwish and lorena mckennit. Aeon for female is best but overall auteur is a better headphone.

Hex v2 I liked it very much but I prefer auteur .. To do something better you should go to he1000 used may be in your budget too...

New Ananda at 1000 euro is a good price point.. But all of them are still on warm. Side... If you want something colder he6 in my opinion can't be overcome ... Ananda should share he x v2 drivers

Jul 24, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #8,814 of 12,302
Mid price headphone I listened to audeze Lcd2c... Still on warm side but a wonderful and lovely sound... For me in that price tag only Ananda can equals it in under 1000 euro price... But Lcd2c is cheaper .

Jul 24, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #8,815 of 12,302
Thanks for the recommendations!

I have narrowed my choices to 2 for now: ZMF Auteur and Focal Clear. Based on reviews Auteur might be a good choice but DMS3 said it's an upgrade for HD650 so if it shares the same sound signature, I'm not sure. I wasn't a fan of HD650. ZMF headphones are also difficult to get here in Europe.

I borrowed my friend's Focal Elear and I have been quite liking it but it does have its problems, which should be somewhat corrected in Clear. Elear doesn't shine with female vocals for sure.

I have also heard good things about Hifiman Edition X V2 and that is in my price range. Does anyone here have experience with it? I have a small head though they may be too big.

I don’t particularly agree with the Auteur and HD650 comps, personally. Also, for what it’s worth I’m not a fan of the HD650 either and the Auteur is my favorite headphone.

Jul 24, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #8,816 of 12,302

I have tried Hifiman Edition X V2 (spend week with). Sound nice with low volume but when you go higher volume you end up hearing wall of music. All is big mush.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #8,817 of 12,302
I have tried Hifiman Edition X V2 (spend week with). Sound nice with low volume but when you go higher volume you end up hearing wall of music. All is big mush.
What were your sources for hex v2? Because i just recently purchased a pair and i think they sound great, certainly wouldn't say they sound like a "wall of sound" or "mush". They have a fairly wide and deep sound stage with good separation with just my mojo.

Jul 25, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #8,818 of 12,302
Like i said it happens with higher volume. Higher volume i mean time when you want to listen song louder and jam. My source is pc and dac is Schiit Gungnir MB and amp is Schiit Mjolnir 2. I don´t know what happened with them, was those broken or my amp too badass for them...
Try song Dream Theater - Pull me under and crank it bit. For example.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #8,819 of 12,302
Hi guys,

My first expensive IEM step was RHA T20i. I liked; specially the drums and base sounded good sharp, tight, with smooth impact. But it wasn't enough for me with the guitars and keys separation. I mean sounds good when few instruments where played like only acoustic or lead, or keys. But when it's about multi instruments, specially with Blind Guardian's orchestral album, or DragonForce, I felt for needing more separation and clarity. I am going for now CA Andromeda, with NW ZX-300. Anybody has any impression? Anybody experienced with multi-driver BA's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back