Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jun 15, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #8,776 of 12,284
Perhaps that was true at some point in the 90s or 00s, but it depends on the receiver. I listen to music and movies through my modern Marantz receiver's jack on an AKG K700 in the living room and it's just fine. Try it out first, then you can always try a separate amp as you and your wallet get sucked into the Head-Fi rabbithole.

Jul 5, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #8,777 of 12,284
what are good planners for metal that will also do well for hip hop. Preferably below £700.

Jul 5, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #8,779 of 12,284
what are good planners for metal that will also do well for hip hop. Preferably below £700.

I thought you were asking for a good event organizer or Trapper Keeper.

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #8,780 of 12,284
My recent listening , form metal i can say:

Sundara , fast detailed for fast metal as thrash, requires a discrete headamp
Aeon Open warm , very musical , but not so detailed , good for epic and power , hard to drive
Lcd2c, smooth the most 360° among them , i liked them very much with everything i listened to them and the easiest to drive ... good even from a dap or dragonfly red

400i , cheaper but still a good headphone ... sundara wins ok but for the price 400i is price quality point.

if you can spend a bit more... at 999€ the new ananda , made with same drivers of he-x V2 ... reminds a lot the he1000 , a bit warm but detailed ... and very easy to be driven even easier than lcd2c

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #8,782 of 12,284
None of those Audeze are close to below £700, unless exchange rates have drastically changed. LCD2C is. Ananda looks interesting. I wonder where it would fit in that chart that they show under their evolution chart - http://hifiman.com/images/170531/SUSVARA/SUSVARA-02.jpg

Jul 6, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #8,783 of 12,284
None of those Audeze are close to below £700, unless exchange rates have drastically changed. LCD2C is. Ananda looks interesting. I wonder where it would fit in that chart that they show under their evolution chart - http://hifiman.com/images/170531/SUSVARA/SUSVARA-02.jpg
Sorry about that, I should have clarified. You might approach 700 Pounds on the used market.
My friend in The Netherlands just sold his LCD-X for 1000 Euros...
Good luck on the search.

Jul 6, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #8,784 of 12,284
Ok, going through some boxes I found an old set of ear buds. I think these will be the ULTIMATE METAL SOLUTION!!!

Gqr32IDm.jpg

Jul 16, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #8,788 of 12,284
Hi,
Need some advices to find good IEMs for listening metal (Symphonic and Power metal principally).
300-400€

Thx

iBasso IT04, Cleatune VS-4, FiiO FH5, you should look into those and see which is best for your tastes.

For symphonic metal alone you need a large soundstage, and a V-shaped or a bright sound, for violins and such. For Power, a warmer signature with strong sub-bass might be best to get tactile feeling from the drum hits and to enhance the sensation of speed, along with providing juicy guitars.

Jul 23, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #8,789 of 12,284
What open back headphones would you suggest for symphonic metal (mostly with female singers), rock, little bit of classical and opera, in price range 0 - 1500€?

I do prefer more bright headphones than dark, but not sibilant. I like vocals to be up front and violins/pianos sound natural. I also like headphones to be engaging/toe tapping to listen to.

I currently own Onkyo A800 which I do like but they are little too bright and bass can be too overwhelming sometimes. Also they aren't comfortable to wear.

I have tested following headphones at store: Focal Elear, Clear, Utopia, Hifiman Sundara. From these I liked Utopia most but it is way over my price range. Sundara and Elear had distant sounding vocals and both were too warm sounding for me. Clear sounded quite ok but I'm not sure if it is worth it's asking price.
I have also considered Sennheiser HD 660 S and Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow Open. I have owned HD 650 in the past and it sounded too veiled and warm for me so I'm not sure would HD 660 S be that much "better".

Are there other headphones I should look into?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #8,790 of 12,284
What open back headphones would you suggest for symphonic metal (mostly with female singers), rock, little bit of classical and opera, in price range 0 - 1500€?

I do prefer more bright headphones than dark, but not sibilant. I like vocals to be up front and violins/pianos sound natural. I also like headphones to be engaging/toe tapping to listen to.

I currently own Onkyo A800 which I do like but they are little too bright and bass can be too overwhelming sometimes. Also they aren't comfortable to wear.

I have tested following headphones at store: Focal Elear, Clear, Utopia, Hifiman Sundara. From these I liked Utopia most but it is way over my price range. Sundara and Elear had distant sounding vocals and both were too warm sounding for me. Clear sounded quite ok but I'm not sure if it is worth it's asking price.
I have also considered Sennheiser HD 660 S and Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow Open. I have owned HD 650 in the past and it sounded too veiled and warm for me so I'm not sure would HD 660 S be that much "better".

Are there other headphones I should look into?

Any reason why you haven’t tried the HD800/HD800S yet? That seems right up your alley. I also think you might enjoy the ZMF Auteur and the MrSpeakers ETHER Flow. If your budget can support it, I’d also strongly recommend the Stax L700 with the 353X, which I think would fit your tastes perfectly.

You probably won’t care for the 660S or the ÆON Flow Open - both of them run on the warm side and neither one is super spacious. Of the two, I think you would probably like the 660S more, but I actually think the ÆON Flow Closed fits your tastes better than the open one - it’s more neutral and less warm, so in effect, it sounds more spacious.

Still, my top 3 picks for you would be L700, Auteur and HD800 on a warm setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back