Headphones for Gaming Sub $1000
Dec 21, 2012 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Stealthbr

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. I'm going to the US in less than a week and have some cash to spend on new headphones. I currently am using a pair of Denon D2000's connected to my Asus Xonar Essence STX computer sound card (I need the Dolby Headphone feature for gaming). With that said, what would be the best purchase for someone who is mostly concerned with competitive gaming (where sound is crucial to determine where someone is without having to see them). People say headphones that work well in these types of games have very detailed and accurate soundstages. I have looked up some headphones like the Shure 1840, Sennheiser HD 650/700, and the Beyerdynamic t70/90. Out of these, which would suit me best (unless, of course, you can point out another pair that you believe to be even better)?

Thank you for your help!

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #2 of 12
If you just do gaming then an AKG K/Q701/2 would suffice. Out of all the ones that you list the my guess is the HD700 has the best sound stage performance, being the HD800's little bro and all. There is also plenty of treble on those cans to help you with footsteps.

I'd cross the 650 off your list though since they do not exactly excel in clarity.  Can't say anything for the Beyers as I have not heard them.

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
Hello everyone. I'm going to the US in less than a week and have some cash to spend on new headphones. I currently am using a pair of Denon D2000's connected to my Asus Xonar Essence STX computer sound card (I need the Dolby Headphone feature for gaming). With that said, what would be the best purchase for someone who is mostly concerned with competitive gaming (where sound is crucial to determine where someone is without having to see them). People say headphones that work well in these types of games have very detailed and accurate sound stages. I have looked up some headphones like the Shure 1840, Sennheiser HD 650/700, and the Beyerdynamic t70/90. Out of these, which would suit me best (unless, of course, you can point out another pair that you believe to be even better)?

Thank you for your help!

Technically the Essence STX's 10-Ohm impedance is a little high for the 25-Ohm AH-D2000, sometime down the line if your ever looking for a new headphone amplifier,
try to find an amp with an impedance of 3-ohms (or less), might improve the audio quality of the AD-D2000 for you.

With the Essence STX (& ST & Phoebus), headphones that are 80-Ohms or higher (up to 600-Ohm) are a good match.
(50-Ohm or higher is still ok)

Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600-Ohm or DT990 Premium 600-Ohm, might be worth checking out (nice bass).

Dec 22, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #6 of 12
I've heard the AKG's have a large, yet inaccurate soundstage. Somewhere on these forums it was said that their imaging was lacking sorely.

I would disagree very much. The 701 are the third best pair of cans I've heard for gaming (but the other two aren't made anymore (Sony MDR-F1 and MDR-SA5000 if you feel like going on a snipe hunt)); very large and coherent soundstage, and they will pick out a lot of details without being fatiguing. You can also wear them for a long while (assuming the headband isn't a problem for you - some people don't like the bumps) very easily.

I'd take the Beyer T70 off your list; the D2000 are a better choice. Honestly the D2k are pretty good when it comes to gaming; you probably won't do much better (remember that gaming audio isn't really "hi-fi" and putting more money into higher end headphones doesn't usually improve performance that much, as long as you've got a decent imaging pair to start with (like the D2k)).

PurpleAngel,

I wouldn't worry so much about the whole "rule of 8" thing as a universal law. The D2k are *very* stable, and will be just fine with the TPA6120 on the STX. :)

Dec 22, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #8 of 12
If you have a pair of Denon D2000's you already have a nice set of gaming headphones so save your money.

I suggest you pick up the following:

1. Astro Gaming Mixamp

2. Clip on mic

Enjoy.

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #11 of 12
It just worked out that the HD 598s go with my kind of music, but initially, I bought them for competitive gaming.

If you're on console, get a mixamp. If you're on pc, then I have no idea.

Dec 23, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #12 of 12
Sometimes you can find the T1 for under 1,000.. I never heard a distortion free headphone before, or very, very, low.. Imaging as described 2nd only to the HD800, for dynamics.. The 701's are good, but lack the clean sound, imaging, detail, spot on precision of the T1..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back