headphones for $200 canadian that are good for heavy metal and are polite to bad recordings (sorry about asking a new recommendations thread i figured i could get more answers this way)?
Jun 14, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #16 of 39

Quote:
I have the AD-900.  They are okay for metal, they have good speed and energy but not much bass.  They are quite detailed and not too brutally revealing BUT they are bright so badly recorded treble sounds pretty bad.  Unless you listen stuff like Burzum or similarly poor recordings, you should be fine.

I had the Alessandro MS-1 before it, and it was good for metal but also bright so had the same problems as the AD900.  I've never heard the SR60 but the MS-1 is slightly less harsh than the SR-80 and that is supposedly less harsh than the SR-60.

Comfort is the AD-900's strong point and it's built well but it's not a tough headphone so definitely not durable.  Sounds like the HD-25 wins in that area.

I listen to all the genres you mentioned.

im going with the ad900. the soundstage, clarity, and speed are indicators they will be good for what i desire. i don't like to much bass so i will be happy with these. i will be buying them for $210 off a member here.

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #17 of 39
NOoooo STOP! :) I don't know AD900 but I have AD700s, but AD700s are not good (not bad either) for metal. Too distant sounding, grainy mids and treble.  Whenever I listened to Agalloch with themm there is something wrong. I can't put it with technical terms but they create too much chaos, I can't tell the instruments apart. Maybe it is because of the distance, or treble decay, or something I don't know. If AD900s are anything like AD700s, I would reconsider my purchase. 

Jun 14, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #18 of 39

Quote:
NOoooo STOP! :) I don't know AD900 but I have AD700s, but AD700s are not good (not bad either) for metal. Too distant sounding, grainy mids and treble.  Whenever I listened to Agalloch with themm there is something wrong. I can't put it with technical terms but they create too much chaos, I can't tell the instruments apart. Maybe it is because of the distance, or treble decay, or something I don't know. If AD900s are anything like AD700s, I would reconsider my purchase. 

apparently there is a huge difference between the 2.

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #20 of 39
You might be able to find a used DT880 for $200 CAD

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #21 of 39

Quote:

What? I found the ad700's excellent for metal, they have a nice large soundstage and have nice forward mids.
They also have excellent clarity which I found excellent for metal.

Also by the way the ad900s are fairly bright, so if you find your srh840s too bright the ad900s may be too bright for you., although an eq can easily fix this.
I would also suggest the sr225 and hd598, the sr225 is your standard very forward rock headphone and
the hd598s have a very nice soundstage and ire fairly neutral they be a bit laid back but they are very forgiving of harsh recordings.

Jun 14, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #22 of 39

Quote:
What? I found the ad700's excellent for metal, they have a nice large soundstage and have nice forward mids.
They also have excellent clarity which I found excellent for metal.

Also by the way the ad900s are fairly bright, so if you find your srh840s too bright the ad900s may be too bright for you., although an eq can easily fix this.
I would also suggest the sr225 and hd598, the sr225 is your standard very forward rock headphone and
the hd598s have a very nice soundstage and ire fairly neutral they be a bit laid back but they are very forgiving of harsh recordings.

can you compare them to the sennheiser hd 25 1 ii.

Jun 14, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #23 of 39
The SRH 840 are already pretty polite give it a better source. And to relieve some of it's boxy sound a amp helps or just EQ down the bass a bit.
If your listening on a PC on the master volume turn down either the volume or the wave and have one slightly high if both are up its going to give off a harsh sound. So just have one up decide which one you want and the other barely up.
Use actual album rips not youtube.

As for other headphones you could try playing around with the shopping cart of bhphotovideo.com jr.com and headphonesolutions.com to see the price of shipping to Canada.

Jun 14, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #24 of 39
I ordered a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, from a seller on Amazon.ca.

Firstly, the cans are super, and from a sound perspective they have a deep impact bass if recorded as such but the bass isn't boomy or slow. The highs are smoothed and not harsh so extended periods of listening for sure are easy.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=A2EUQ1WTGCTBG2&me=A1JVDLRO5WH4D0

There's a few other selections you could look at, and I think the Shure SRH840 were on there. If metal is your thing, I think the Beyers are a great choice. Megadeth, Lamb of God, Seether, Mastodon, Opeth have all sounded terrific. What I like about the Beyers is their large sound without being an open headphone.

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #25 of 39

Quote:
The SRH 840 are already pretty polite give it a better source. And to relieve some of it's boxy sound a amp helps or just EQ down the bass a bit.
If your listening on a PC on the master volume turn down either the volume or the wave and have one slightly high if both are up its going to give off a harsh sound. So just have one up decide which one you want and the other barely up.
Use actual album rips not youtube.

As for other headphones you could try playing around with the shopping cart of bhphotovideo.com jr.com and headphonesolutions.com to see the price of shipping to Canada.

ok i am about to order the sennheiser hd 25 1 ii. should i stop?

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #26 of 39

Quote:
I ordered a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, from a seller on Amazon.ca.

Firstly, the cans are super, and from a sound perspective they have a deep impact bass if recorded as such but the bass isn't boomy or slow. The highs are smoothed and not harsh so extended periods of listening for sure are easy.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/browse.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=A2EUQ1WTGCTBG2&me=A1JVDLRO5WH4D0

There's a few other selections you could look at, and I think the Shure SRH840 were on there. If metal is your thing, I think the Beyers are a great choice. Megadeth, Lamb of God, Seether, Mastodon, Opeth have all sounded terrific. What I like about the Beyers is their large sound without being an open headphone.

do they run well without an amp?

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #27 of 39

Quote:
can you compare them to the sennheiser hd 25 1 ii.

The ad900s are definitely better, they have much better sound staging and seem faster and more transparent.
They are how ever brighter than the hd25s. The comfort is also much better on the ad900s although they provide no isolation.
I actually found both of them brighter than the srh840 so you may want to look at some darker headphones.

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #28 of 39

Quote:
The ad900s are definitely better, they have much better sound staging and seem faster and more transparent.
They are how ever brighter than the hd25s. The comfort is also much better on the ad900s although they provide no isolation.
I actually found both of them brighter than the srh840 so you may want to look at some darker headphones.

do you have any suggestions and purchase links?

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #29 of 39
how about the akg k240 mk ii

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #30 of 39
ok i have decided on the allesandro ms1. from what i understand they are less harsh then grado sr60i but still have the energetic sound. do you all agree with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back