headphones for $200 canadian that are good for heavy metal and are polite to bad recordings (sorry about asking a new recommendations thread i figured i could get more answers this way)?
Jun 14, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #31 of 39
ok my current order is a fiio e7 and an alessandro ms1. i paid and now i shall wait.

thank you all for your help.

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #32 of 39
Alas, I would have shot in a vote for the DT770s. Despite them being too bassy for my tastes, they had a great slam with metal and can be found el cheapo used and even fairly cheap from a third party dealer.

I haven't tried the Alessandro headphones, so I can't comment on them, but didn't quite have the same full bodied sound experience while trying out some Grados at my last local meet (RS2i and HF-2) although I found them great for other genres like blues, rock and hard rock.

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #33 of 39
The AD900's are amazing headphones, and I wouldn't say they're NOT durable- You just need to be careful of the wings. Besides, they're not exactly the kind of cans you wear out.
That being said... I dont know if ANY audiophile headphone is POLITE to poor recordings... I'm really into old school emo from the late 80s and there is a lot of poor recordings and I just kind of deal with it sounding even worse on better cans.

Jun 14, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #34 of 39
In your position I would have gone the HD598 based on the reviews here. Fwiw, I found the MS-1i and the E7 to be a nice budget pairing (the FiiO had better synergy with the Alessandro than the M50 imo). The E7 will be of more benefit to you as a decent dac than an amp but you should be able to distinguish the improvement from onboard sound.

Jun 14, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #35 of 39

Quote:
In your position I would have gone the HD598 based on the reviews here. Fwiw, I found the MS-1i and the E7 to be a nice budget pairing (the FiiO had better synergy with the Alessandro than the M50 imo). The E7 will be of more benefit to you as a decent dac than an amp but you should be able to distinguish the improvement from onboard sound.

i looked for those but i couldn't find it under $200.

Jun 15, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #36 of 39

Quote:
Can you list what bands you listen to specificly? Metal is such a broad term. All I can really tell you is to avoid Sennheiser's open headphones they are too laid back for metal.

Well, most of them. Not the HD800
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 15, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #38 of 39
I'll disagree. The HD598 is great open tight bass sounding can.

Earlier asked about the 250 Ohm DT770 Pro. Yes having an amp helps, but the cMoyBB is excellent value for such a thing. $70 if u buy assembled.

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #39 of 39

Quote:
Why, do you like the hd800 for metal?
I found them too bright and the soundstage was too large for metal.

My first time? Absolutely not, hated em.

Now? Oh yea. Though I think I like the T1 and HE500 more for it, the HD800 still does it extremely well. They are just a little too bright though, yea. Then again people love Grados for Metal, so..

I love a huge soundstage for Metal, and I listen to nearly every subgenre within. Soundstage does so much for Atmospheric Black and Symphonic Metal in particular, and doesn't detract from genres that don't really utilize it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back