Headphonelounge Cables - Appreciation Thread
Sep 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #32 of 183
  My first cable from Ted arrived today, I haven't listened to it beyond testing that it works because it's too short, but it will be perfect for it's intended use (DAP in my work shirt pocket)

I can say that it looks great, seems to be well built and is surprisingly flexible - any sonic improvements will be an unexpected bonus.

That Ted was a pleasure to deal with is the icing on the cake, I know where to go next time I need a cable!

Great Skull! Damn I'm jealous! LOL

Steve from NYC

Sep 29, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #34 of 183
I have the Tzar 350 which I can not decide if I should keep or sell
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah, the ruthlessly analytical cousin of the 90... if you weren't overseas I'd have suggested a trial swap as I've never heard them but they look intriguing.

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #35 of 183
I would say that even if you DON'T know what you want/need, Ted is plenty helpful sorting through the clutter.  Not only that, he can give you smart ideas for the future.

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #37 of 183
I stumbled across this thread earlier this week. Thanks spook76 for giving us a heads up on Ted and his cables.

I've been looking for some new cables for my HD650's. I have another highly regarded cable on them now but felt they made the 650's a little muddy in the low end for my tastes and just not quite there in the mid's and highs. I've read nothing but good things about Toxic but didn't go for them in the end. Other cables were just more than I wanted to spend at the moment. After landing here and reading about not only how great the cables are, but how great Ted is to deal with, I e-mailed Ted and true to every post here, he responded almost immediately. I asked him my questions, he was straight up about everything. He even had a hybrid cable ready that he had used for testing that he could ship the next day. The cable arrived yesterday and I put four hours into listening. That's a good session for me. Time is a factor and also listening fatigue. First I listened to the current cable then plugged in Ted's cable. I did this for about 30 minutes with a variety of hi res digital recordings ranging from Joni Mitchell, to John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, to Little Feat, and on. 

I'm not a novice when it comes to equipment or accessories like cables. I always go into a new cable listening session expecting nothing. I'm no expert but I do know what I'm looking for in sound. I wanted the 650's to come out of their darkness. The current cable had improved on the stock cable, but I believed the sound could be improved upon even more. The hybrid cable from Ted made a significant improvement in the overall sound and presentation of the 650s'. Bass became more controlled but still impactful. Mid's floated more and had a real sense of space and the highs, especially on some of the Coltrane tracks, which could be harsh, settled down and nuances in the notes were revealed that I could not get to with the other cables.

No surprise to those using Ted's cables. And I'm not really reporting anything new. I guess it's piling on in a good way. So the cables are fantastic (I've since ordered a silver IEM replacement for my Westone 4R's and will be sent out to me in about 4 days) but the real star here is Ted. U.S. made, incredible correspondence, fast turn around, earnest desire to be fair, outstanding quality product that's fully customizable, and fair pricing. If you're looking for new cables of almost any kind, you owe it yourself to check Ted's cables out. 

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #38 of 183
  I stumbled across this thread earlier this week. Thanks spook76 for giving us a heads up on Ted and his cables.

I've been looking for some new cables for my HD650's. I have another highly regarded cable on them now but felt they made the 650's a little muddy in the low end for my tastes and just not quite there in the mid's and highs. I've read nothing but good things about Toxic but didn't go for them in the end. Other cables were just more than I wanted to spend at the moment. After landing here and reading about not only how great the cables are, but how great Ted is to deal with, I e-mailed Ted and true to every post here, he responded almost immediately. I asked him my questions, he was straight up about everything. He even had a hybrid cable ready that he had used for testing that he could ship the next day. The cable arrived yesterday and I put four hours into listening. That's a good session for me. Time is a factor and also listening fatigue. First I listened to the current cable then plugged in Ted's cable. I did this for about 30 minutes with a variety of hi res digital recordings ranging from Joni Mitchell, to John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, to Little Feat, and on. 

I'm not a novice when it comes to equipment or accessories like cables. I always go into a new cable listening session expecting nothing. I'm no expert but I do know what I'm looking for in sound. I wanted the 650's to come out of their darkness. The current cable had improved on the stock cable, but I believed the sound could be improved upon even more. The hybrid cable from Ted made a significant improvement in the overall sound and presentation of the 650s'. Bass became more controlled but still impactful. Mid's floated more and had a real sense of space and the highs, especially on some of the Coltrane tracks, which could be harsh, settled down and nuances in the notes were revealed that I could not get to with the other cables.

No surprise to those using Ted's cables. And I'm not really reporting anything new. I guess it's piling on in a good way. So the cables are fantastic (I've since ordered a silver IEM replacement for my Westone 4R's and will be sent out to me in about 4 days) but the real star here is Ted. U.S. made, incredible correspondence, fast turn around, earnest desire to be fair, outstanding quality product that's fully customizable, and fair pricing. If you're looking for new cables of almost any kind, you owe it yourself to check Ted's cables out. 

did you go with the neotech? 

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #40 of 183
Digitalized I am really glad you like your cables. As all of us who have used Ted Allen's cables know the build quality, customer service and price simply cannot be beat anywhere.

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #41 of 183
Digitalized I am really glad you like your cables. As all of us who have used Ted Allen's cables know the build quality, customer service and price simply cannot be beat anywhere.

Hope the word on Ted can get out and more people can experience the goodness for themselves.

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #42 of 183
That is why I started this appreciation thread. I think a lot of the debate on high end cables is colored by companies selling inferior cables but charging premium prices or delivery times longer than seasons. When you buy from Ted Allen at Headphone Lounge it is OCC wire only and build times in days not seasons.

Oct 12, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #43 of 183
That is why I started this appreciation thread. I think a lot of the debate on high end cables is colored by companies selling inferior cables but charging premium prices or delivery times longer than seasons. When you buy from Ted Allen at Headphone Lounge it is OCC wire only and build times in days not seasons.

+1

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #44 of 183
Sorry I'm late to the party.

Bought about 5 of teds cables so far!
1 for my shure 535, 1 for my HE400 and 3 for my IEMS/CIEM. Regardless of which of them they are, the cables are all perfectly made! All of them are a major upgrade over the stock cable and provide me with the extra oomph I was looking for without the heinous price. I've since sold the 535 and HE400 but have refused to sell the cables. I'm pretty sure I'll use it again. If not, they're so well made the cables are still bright copper or shiny silver and not oxidized even on Singapores crazy humidity.

Regarding shipping time, I bought the HE400 cables 2 days after my HE400. Needless to say the cables arrived before the headphones. Like what others have said, wait time is mere days, even with the backlog of orders.(I know, I've asked) Least I don't have to wait a bajillion years to get my cable!

Anyway, here's to Ted Allen! Premium cable for not so premium price! Peasents unite!

Symphonium Audio Proudly Designed and Manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Symphonium Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/symphoniumaudio https://twitter.com/SymphoniumAudio https://www.instagram.com/symphoniumaudio/ https://www.symphoniumaudio.com/ info@symphoniumaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back