Headphonelounge Cables - Appreciation Thread
Aug 15, 2013 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 183

spook76

Headphoneus Supremus
I have started this thread to let people know about Headphonelounge.com and Ted Allen the manufacturer. I do not believe his website is up yet but he is a Member of the Trade here at Head-Fi so I am sure you can send him a private message if you are interested in ordering.

By way of background, I am using the Shure SE535 Special Edition from Asia. I was very pleased with my set up and was entirely satisfied with the sound. Or so I thought...I then ordered the OCC silver cables from Ted Allen on Headphonelounge not really expecting much sonic difference but I am astounded. I knew right away that the sound would change as the slight hiss prevalent in all Shure IEMs was gone. The memory wire was actually easier to slip over my ears than the stock cables and it retains its shape after only the initial fitting. Also, I am finding that the 24 gauge silver wires are much less likely to tangle than the stock Shure.

The silvers have opened already great highs and expanded the soundstage slightly without sacrificing the low end or the midrange. The easiest way for me (an admitted neophyte audiophile) to describe the general difference between the stock cables and the silvers is an material overall tightening and clarity of the sonic signature from top to bottom. I have read hear some people state that pure silver makes the sound brighter but I think what you hear is more clarity not brightness.

The silvers took what I thought was a great universal IEM and made them SOAR. Listening to Peter Gabriel's flute and Steve Hackett's guitar of Genesis in "The Fifth of Firth" or Steven Wilson voice of Porcupine Tree has brought a noticeable clarity and beauty heretofore unheard. Bravo Ted.

Post script:

I recently purchased an RSA Protector and at the same time ordered balanced OCC silver cables and an LOD from Ted at Headphonelounge. The combination of the Protector with balanced OCC silver cables is incredible. The level of detail and PRaT and the expanded soundstage cannot be overstated.

As for the build quality of Ted's cables they are very similar to Ray Samuels, in a word excellent. The attention to detail Ted puts into his cables is exactly the same Ray puts into his amplifiers. The 24 gauge quad silver cables are soft and flexible with no microphonics. Finally, Ted is a real pleasure to deal with and his prices are the most competitive for OCC cables I have found.

Post post script:

I have preordered the SE846 and cannot wait to listen to them through the Protector and OCC silver balanced cables from Headphonelounge. I am hoping that will be a sonic marriage made in heaven.

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 183
thanks spook! i'm very happy when customers like what they receive. i've been in the background for years making every cable and now its great to be acknowledged properly as the actual builder.

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 183
Quote:
I have started this thread to let people know about Headphonelounge.com and Ted Allen the manufacturer. I do not believe his website is up yet but he is a Member of the Trade here at Head-Fi so I am sure you can send him a private message if you are interested in ordering.

By way of background, I am using the Shure SE535 Special Edition from Asia. I was very pleased with my set up and was entirely satisfied with the sound. Or so I thought...I then ordered the OCC silver cables from Ted Allen on Headphonelounge not really expecting much sonic difference but I am astounded. I knew right away that the sound would change as the slight hiss prevalent in all Shure IEMs was gone. The memory wire was actually easier to slip over my ears than the stock cables and it retains its shape after only the initial fitting. Also, I am finding that the 24 gauge silver wires are much less likely to tangle than the stock Shure.

The silvers have opened already great highs and expanded the soundstage slightly without sacrificing the low end or the midrange. The easiest way for me (an admitted neophyte audiophile) to describe the general difference between the stock cables and the silvers is an material overall tightening and clarity of the sonic signature from top to bottom. I have read hear some people state that pure silver makes the sound brighter but I think what you hear is more clarity not brightness.

The silvers took what I thought was a great universal IEM and made them SOAR. Listening to Peter Gabriel's flute and Steve Hackett's guitar of Genesis in "The Fifth of Firth" or Steven Wilson voice of Porcupine Tree has brought a noticeable clarity and beauty heretofore unheard. Bravo Ted.

Post script:

I recently purchased an RSA Protector and at the same time ordered balanced OCC silver cables and an LOD from Ted at Headphonelounge. The combination of the Protector with balanced OCC silver cables is incredible. The level of detail and PRaT and the expanded soundstage cannot be overstated.

As for the build quality of Ted's cables they are very similar to Ray Samuels, in a word excellent. The attention to detail Ted puts into his cables is exactly the same Ray puts into his amplifiers. The 24 gauge quad silver cables are soft and flexible with no microphonics. Finally, Ted is a real pleasure to deal with and his prices are the most competitive for OCC cables I have found.

Post post script:

I have preordered the SE846 and cannot wait to listen to them through the Protector and OCC silver balanced cables from Headphonelounge. I am hoping that will be a sonic marriage made in heaven.

+ 2 ,on Teds cables.
I recently bought 2..a silver/copper ,& a pure silver
With my HD800's they are simply amazing.
The silver/copper,has replaced my Q cable,& is in use constantly.

Nice pricing too..

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 183
Ted rocks my world.

My first contact with him was when he made me a cable for my Magnum X build. He was kind enough to help soldering the cable to the drivers...twice...the first time as a favor, the second to re-solder when like an oaf I managed to break the connection on one while mounting the drivers in the cups. The man has the patience and kindness of a saint.

My second contact with Ted was for an iPod LOD...he had one on hand already, cut me an awesome deal and I was away...no questions asked.

Shipping is always incredibly quick, and his product is superb...he also has a deviant sense of humor :).

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 183
+3 on Teds cables! 

Ted has supplied amazing cables for my HD650's, plus my modded Grado v4 Magnums with Hifiman heads on the ends, a pair of reshelled UM3x's, as well as my Heir 4Ai's.

Each and every cable this guy has made for me was of the utmost quality. He uses great components and what you get is an amazing product at a realistic price...unlike some of these other cable slingers out there. The increase in sound quality was astronomical when I first attached the silver cables to my modded Grado's, I simply sat there in awe. Then I put them on my IEM's and had the same reaction. Lastly my recent baby has been the HD650's and Ted saw that I got them and immediately worked out a new cable setup, in the colors I wanted and they are absolutely amazing.

I firmly believe in supporting small business and like it even better when that small business has their prices grounded in reality. When you see some of the ridiculous prices that people are charging for upgraded cables these days it makes you wonder What is going on with these prices...

I'll tell you what's going on...it's simple. Many of the "other" cable upgrade providers are all about getting as much money out of ANYONE into audio as possible. That's it.

When you factor in the price of the actual cable, and then put into account the number of man hours required to pin that said cable...times a reasonable profit percentage...you come up with a "number"...Then that number is massaged accordingly to the environment in which it is to be sold. Apparently "someone" "somewhere" sent a memo out that audiophiles and their kin will pay dumb amounts of money for home made cables. 

Then along came Ted...you get unreal quality, no bullsh*t, at a reasonable price. To me...that's what it's all about. A guy...making quality cables, who isn't out to make his millions on one sale...but rather build his empire with satisfied return customers. 

I think what's going on out there in the Cable Upgrade World is that a lot of guys who provide their skills are now believing their own bullsh*t...that THEY alone make the magical cable that will transform your music into the sound of angels. When that happens...the end user is the one who suffers by paying more and more out of pocket...

Then along came Ted...a dude from the West Coast who makes a slamming product, who's not full of himself, and who is willing to work with you..without charging you blood money or your first born child.

OK, enough ranting...closing statement...

Buy this guys stuff. He's really good at it and you will NOT be disappointed. 

Steve from NYC.

BTW..no...I'm not related to Ted...lol

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 183
Steve,

I could not agree more. I am sorry I did not emphasize more the incredibly reasonable prices Ted at Headphonelounge charges. Top notch build quality of pure OCC silver balanced cables for $200. Good luck fining it better OR cheaper. I also agree it is nice to see good old fashioned craftsmanship and a man who takes pride in his work.

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 183
Just a note to anyone who like me bought the SE846, I hind Headphone Lounge's silver cables both single out and balanced with the RSA Protector a marriage made in sonic heaven.

Sep 1, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #8 of 183
Wow...you got the 846's...

So...are they worth the money bro?

Steve from NYC

Sep 1, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #9 of 183
+4 on Ted's Cables.

He is the sole maker behind the cables at Headphone Lounge.
Asking him directly, he gives the customers a more affordable price on a great piece of cable.

Surprisingly for the hard work that he gives, his prices remain low which is a win-win for anyone in search of a more affordable upgrade.

He had made me some pure silver XLR cables for my studio monitors on the cheap and now they sound wonderful.
Sound quality is definitely not subtle!

Best of luck to this man in his future business expansive pursuits.

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #10 of 183
If people who bought from Ted could post some pictures and maybe tell us  what you bought and specifically how it improved the sound, that would be great. Would love to hear your comments and see Ted's work.

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 183
Great idea! I'll do that once I get home from work today. The dude is a genius. I had an idea for TF10's...to take a Zagg cable with ipod control and incorporate it into the TF10's. 

He took the idea and ran with it. Came out awesome!

He also did another cable for my InEarz re-shelled UM3X's...which I ******* the end up trying to force the cable into the recessed hole (NOTE...avoid recessed fittings lol). I messed the end up bad and Ted calmed me down, said to send them back, and repaired it free of charge. For my own ***** up.

Then came my modded Grado v4 Magnum woodies with the mini HiFiMan connectors...I fell asleep the can's on and accidentally ruined the cable connection. I asked Ted if he could make me something "strong, sturdy, and hard for me to destroy". He came through with this ultra flexible silver core cable that is damn near indestructible!

Then came the day I finally got a pair of Senn HD650's. Before I even got home I emailed Ted and he put together a fantastic cable for me sheathed in red with a nice wood accent. By the time they got to my place from another Head-fi'er...the cable arrived. PERFECT timing.

The sound quality increase is phenomenal. He uses quality materials and is a soldering genius...but most importantly...he's a great guy who stands behind his product every single time. As a small business owner I can't say enough about this guys ethics and quality. 

Bravo Ted...Bravo.

I'll post pictures later tonight.

Steve from NYC

Sep 3, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #12 of 183
If people who bought from Ted could post some pictures and maybe tell us  what you bought and specifically how it improved the sound, that would be great. Would love to hear your comments and see Ted's work.

Take a look at my avatar picture. That is my new SE846 with Ted's beautiful balanced OCC silver cables. His build quality is truly outstanding and I think the best prices anywhere.

Sep 3, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #13 of 183
Jacofman,

The following three pictures are all Headphone Lounge Ted Allen masterpieces.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back