Headphonelounge Cables - Appreciation Thread
Dec 13, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #168 of 183
The Ted does it for me again. A real clutch job. Photo says it all, but...(read on)

1) Ted repaired my Shure 425 cable, made originally by another famous cabler. The two connectors had somewhat loose fits, so I was getting occasional sound dropouts when I moved my head and shifted the cable. Not good. So, Ted agreed to replace the connectors with his own larger, more robust, earpiece connectors. Voila. No more dropouts. Works much better now with no dropouts in sound when I move my torso.

2) Ted built me a very nice adaptor cable: RSA to 4-pin XLR. Allows me to use my balanced headphones (LCD-2, Grado GS-1000i, PS-500) with my SR-71B without worrying about placing too much torsional strain on the straight connector. With a right-angled RSA plug, I get too much strain on the cable as it exits the amp jack and then curves towards me. Not the best scenario.

Beautiful work, for less than the price of a Starbuck's deluxe coffee.

Thank you, Ted. I motion that we nominate Ted for Sainthood.  Saint Ted of Waldport. The guy can do no wrong.
Or Honorary Canadian Citizenship (Nelson Mandela is the ONLY foreigner to receive hon. Can. Citiz. so far, way back in the 1990s) if the Catholics object.

Dec 13, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #169 of 183
No objection from me for sainthood and I am a practicing Roman Catholic.

We believers in Ted's craftsmanship need to get the word out to other Headfiers about his incredibly fast build time and very reasonable prices. In my opinion, it is Ted's competetors who scare off some people from custom cables with 6+ month wait time and/or astronomic prices.

Dec 13, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #170 of 183
No objection from me for sainthood and I am a practicing Roman Catholic.

We believers in Ted's craftsmanship need to get the word out to other Headfiers about his incredibly fast build time and very reasonable prices. In my opinion, it is Ted's competetors who scare off some people from custom cables with 6+ month wait time and/or astronomic prices.

I am using one and I can say that the workmanship is very good.

However, Ted's cable isn't exactly cheap either - the Shure cable cost about as much as the SE315.

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #171 of 183

However, Ted's cable isn't exactly cheap either - the Shure cable cost about as much as the SE315.

eh i think you know what you are getting into if you are looking into getting a upgrade cable.

sometimes people pay nearly as much as the headphone for just the cable...but its a hobby. so its hard to gauge...if you think its worth it then its worth it.

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #172 of 183

I agree but have you seen the prices his competors charge for equal or inferior products. In comparison, Headphone Lounge has some of the best prices out there.

I know from my research that 16'+ OCC silver cable (the amount needed for a 4' cable) is expensive even before the added cost of the build time and the 3.5mm plug.

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #173 of 183

I agree but have you seen the prices his competors charge for equal or inferior products. In comparison, Headphone Lounge has some of the best prices out there.

I know from my research that 16'+ OCC silver cable (the amount needed for a 4' cable) is expensive even before the added cost of the build time and the 3.5mm plug.

You can look into my profile to see all the aftermarket cables I have owned. They are expensive but Headphonelounge cable are by no means cheap/affordable either.

The cheap/affordable ones I have come across so far are FiiO and BTG where you don't need to pay the price of a full replacement headphone just to get the cable.

Dec 14, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #174 of 183
You can look into my profile to see all the aftermarket cables I have owned. They are expensive but Headphonelounge cable are by no means cheap/affordable either.

The cheap/affordable ones I have come across so far are FiiO and BTG where you don't need to pay the price of a full replacement headphone just to get the cable.

You misunderstood me, I consider Headphone Lounge's competitors to be Toxic, Double Helix and Moon Audio to name three. As they all use only premium materials like OCC metals and Oyaide plugs in their cables.

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #175 of 183
You misunderstood me, I consider Headphone Lounge's competitors to be Toxic, Double Helix and Moon Audio to name three. As they all use only premium materials like OCC metals and Oyaide plugs in their cables.

The cost price for OCC cable and Oyaide plugs is low. When one pays for these 'exotic' cables, most of the cost goes to labor rather than material.

While headphonelounge cable is cheaper than those from Whiplash/ALO/etc, it is by no means cheap.

When the cost of these aftermarket cables is viewed in proportion with the cost of the headphone, the proportion is often overblown.

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #176 of 183
The cost price for OCC cable and Oyaide plugs is low. When one pays for these 'exotic' cables, most of the cost goes to labor rather than material.

While headphonelounge cable is cheaper than those from Whiplash/ALO/etc, it is by no means cheap.

When the cost of these aftermarket cables is viewed in proportion with the cost of the headphone, the proportion is often overblown.

Unfortunately, you have based your conclusions on utter ignorance. I know for a fact the cost of the OCC silver wire is approximately $50 (wholesale) for a four foot cable and an Oyaide plug retails at $20. Disregarding the connector, labor and overhead costs approximately 35-40% of the final price is just raw materials. I would NOT call that cheap.

Regardless of the cost, I wonder why you are compare BTG and Fiio to Headphone Lounge as the former do not even sell pure silver cables while the later does. That is like comparing Beats to Stax, both have their place but they are not competitors.

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #177 of 183
It's only his silver cables that are more expensive. If you compare BTG Audio's cables to Ted spc/copper/hybrid they are in the same price range. Actually when you compare both companies spc cable Ted's is cheaper so I don't know what the issue is. 

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #178 of 183
Unfortunately, you have based your conclusions on utter ignorance. I know for a fact the cost of the OCC silver wire is approximately $50 (wholesale) for a four foot cable and an Oyaide plug retails at $20. Disregarding the connector, labor and overhead costs approximately 35-40% of the final price is just raw materials. I would NOT call that cheap.

Regardless of the cost, I wonder why you are compare BTG and Fiio to Headphone Lounge as the former do not even sell pure silver cables while the later does. That is like comparing Beats to Stax, both have their place but they are not competitors.

The cost price (not retail price) of the materials are lower. Even if I consider the price ($70) quoted by you, the labor cost for the cable is $130 (higher than the price of SE215 by itself). I don't know about you but $200 for a cable is already a lot of money to me (and I will not call it cheap).

Dec 15, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #179 of 183
The cost price (not retail price) of the materials are lower. Even if I consider the price ($70) quoted by you, the labor cost for the cable is $130 (higher than the price of SE215 by itself). I don't know about you but $200 for a cable is already a lot of money to me (and I will not call it cheap).

What is cost price? I quoted the wholesale or retail cost. Also, as I stated, the $130 has to include overhead and profit as well as the labor costs. Finally, I never said nor would I say that Headphone Lounge cables are "cheap" I said they were "reasonable". As an attorney I love a good argument but please do me the courtesy of not misquoting what I actually wrote.

Dec 15, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #180 of 183
What is cost price? I quoted the wholesale or retail cost. Also, as I stated, the $130 has to include overhead and profit as well as the labor costs. Finally, I never said nor would I say that Headphone Lounge cables are "cheap" I said they were "reasonable". As an attorney I love a good argument but please do me the courtesy of not misquoting what I actually wrote.

As an attorney, you should read back at my post to understand what I was saying rather than misinterpreting my statements and then accused me of misquoting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back