headphone sightings?
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #646 of 855
Saw a wide range of headphones over the past few months, this semester at my uni, Curtin.

Variety of cheap earphones and clips.
Heaps of white ipod earbuds.
Koss KSC50
Koss Porta Pro
Sennheiser PX100
Sony Streetstyles
Sony DJ Headphones
Sennheiser PMX 60
Sennheiser HD 202

May 12, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #647 of 855
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
This guy sitting opposite me on an intercity train was staring at me. The intensity of his stare around my head was beginning to get a bit worrying so busied myself doing other things. I'd quickly look at him, and he'd be staring at me. This carried on throughout the journey. As I got off, I stared back at him and I realised why he might be doing this... he had a pair of E3c's on and possibly knew what the Qualia 010's were.

Hah, that's what you get for using Qualias as a portable. I'm surprised he didn't try to mug you... I would, however, expect more people to know about Qualias, seeing how they're on their way to being a Sony prestige-generating tool, than Staxes or Beyers or AKG's.

Around school and work, I don't see anyone with a single good pair of cans. Not one. Wait, I'm wrong - I saw one guy using a V6 out of a portable. Probably a musician or an audio engineer of some sort. And, there was a girl with HD497's. Other than that, it's mostly stock buds or Sony buds, streetstyles, Sony DJ's (V150's), and COBY's. Lots and lots of COBY's... Around NYC, I've seen a lot of A8's. Guess they're fashionable, and admittedly, they do look pretty cool.

I've let a few people try out my 001's, and they were amazed. They simply didn't believe something could sound that good. Oh well...

May 24, 2005 at 11:09 AM Post #649 of 855
I must say I'm beginning to enjoy having the Qualias as portable phones. They have unexpected comical side benefits too...

There was a guy wearing a pair of MDR-XD200's walking through the train platform I was on. He obviously recognised the Qualias by the way he was gawking at it on my head. He was looking back at me as he was walking, bag in tow and went straight into a supporting pillar on the platform. After picking himself up, he rushed hurriedly away from the grins and snorts of the people around him.
icon10.gif

I wonder if he was a Head-Fi member? I mean, I have to admit I've done that for a girl but for a pair of headphones?
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 25, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #650 of 855
Working in NYC I see more than a few better pairs of headphones. I've seen the standard Sennheiser PX series, the Koss PP, and Grados (60-225) fairly regularly (which I can't understand because the city is so loud). Recently I have noticed more and more Shure e2's and e3's. I am wearing a borrowed pair of e5's today (borrowed for my e3,e4,e5 comparison) and happened to get stopped by a guy wearing e5's as well. He spotted me coming out of Starbucks. This was the first time I saw someone else wearing e5's. First thing out of his mouth was had I auditioned the new e4c's. I said I had them on order and he asked if I would let him know what I thought. I said I would and we exchanged email. So, the moral of the story is that you never know. Now if I could just find a cute girl with UE10's my life would be complete.
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #651 of 855
Aside from my practically constant MD-33 rocking, very few in the surrounding area (Rockville, MD) use anything but stock buds. One kid from my school has a pair of old Koss phones that sound decent, and another friend has a pair of Audio-Technicas that he brought to school once. I saw a guy in REI the other day with a pair of Ety's in his iPod.

Jun 10, 2005 at 8:56 AM Post #652 of 855
The more you become engulfed in the wonderful world of high end audio, the more you realize how ignorant nearly everyone around you really is. I haven't seen anything decent where I live, but then again I don't go downtown very often. I suppose the suburbs really aren't a good place to spot any amazing phones. I have a friend who has the V-500DJs (if you want to even consider those a real "sighting"), but those are the only things beyond cheap earbuds, streetstyles, and other low end sony DJ phones.

This week, I had a friend of mine ranting on about how he was previously using Maxell earbuds and was amazed by the sound of a cheap pair of Sony buds he had picked up. Wasn't even worth my time beginning to explain...

A lot of people have a hard time understanding why anyone would actually spend money on headphones (ie not included with something or found lying around the house). Most don't understand why you would buy more than one pair, but this isn't overly surprising. Maybe the world will one day realize the benefits of using good headphones. Though it is highly doubtful, anything can happen...

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:10 PM Post #653 of 855
Beyerdynamic DT770 walking up Park Avenue South....And it was pretty hot yesterday....Had to have been a Head-fi'er

Jun 12, 2005 at 8:39 AM Post #654 of 855
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
he had a pair of E3c's on and possibly knew what the Qualia 010's were.

When I read your message, I didn't know what Sony Qualia 010s are. So I go to Googling for qualias.. First link:

Sony Qualia 010 headphones
The QUALIA 010 headphones will be available this summer for approximately $2600.
If you know of a product review that relates to this Sony Qualia 010 ...
http://www.bluefi.co.uk/news/sony_qu...eadphones.html - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

HOLY JEEEZ! I know this is head-fi, where people use expensive equipment in their search of ultimate listening experience, yet I almost fell of my chair when I realized the price of those headphones..

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #655 of 855
Saw a guy wearing some e2c's going to the dining hall on campus today.

Jun 17, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #656 of 855
Quote:

Originally Posted by japa
When I read your message, I didn't know what Sony Qualia 010s are. So I go to Googling for qualias.. First link:

Sony Qualia 010 headphones
The QUALIA 010 headphones will be available this summer for approximately $2600.
If you know of a product review that relates to this Sony Qualia 010 ...
http://www.bluefi.co.uk/news/sony_qu...eadphones.html - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

HOLY JEEEZ! I know this is head-fi, where people use expensive equipment in their search of ultimate listening experience, yet I almost fell of my chair when I realized the price of those headphones..

When you start to get into the electrostatic headphones, the prices will and can go beyond $2600... Take the Sennheiser Orpheus electrostatic system for example and some of the more expensive Stax's.

Jun 17, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #657 of 855
I saw the same guy twice in the mall with MDR-V500DJs. I had my V7505s (same shell as the V500s) and we cought eye-to-headphone contact. It was funny because we were holding our players exactly the same way, in our hand with the cord bundled beside the player. He had an Ipod and I wonder if he saw the 'Professional' stickers on my headphones.
tongue.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #659 of 855
At RIT I've seen quite a few people wearing various Grados. Rarely got close enough to tell what model it was, but probably nothing about SR-125s since they weren't too bulky. I even saw this one very attractive girl wearing Grados!
eek.gif

I've seen a few KSC-55s and a few Sennheiser 4xx models. I saw one guy with some ER-6i, I was rather suprised.

Jun 22, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #660 of 855
Just saw AKG 240's in "Never been kissed"... i'm about halfway through the movie and i want to turn it off... but i saw these cans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back