Headphone Sightings 2
Dec 15, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #5,746 of 12,415

Quote:
Not sure where to post this but i don't think anyone will hate me for posting it here.
First story. My dad came home and started telling me that the people at his work were talking about Beats and how great they were, so my dad comes in to the conversation and tells everyone that Beats aren't worth their price at all and that compared to headphones for half as much they sound like crap. Couldn't be more proud of him, haha.
Second story. I was sitting in my Biology class when my P.E. teacher comes into the class to talk to my Bio teacher, with Beat Studios on... Wasn't going to say anything but then she asks me if my Shure 940 that was sitting on my desk was loud, i told her that they could be loud if hooked up to a proper amp. She seemed to know what an amp is and she also seemed like she really was interested in hi end audio but just didn't try looking farther than ads. I have a four hour long bus ride with her on sunday so ill see if i cant convert her then.

Wow, those are great stories! Your bio teacher must be pretty awesome.

I had my 940's with me a few weeks ago during a family outing and my uncle started a conversation with me about headphones. It went something along the lines of:

(I had my 940's around my neck since I wasn't using them at the moment)
Him: Hey *insert my name here*, those are some pretty big-looking headphones you've got there. What are you listening to?
Me: I'm not listening to anything right now, but I've been trying to expand the types of music I listen to. At the moment I'm kind of exploring orchestra, classical, and world music.
Him: Wow that's pretty cool. How do you listen to them? What's it connected to? Do you just hook it up to your iPod?
Me: Oh, there's a detachable cable that goes into here *points to 2.5mm jack* and I attach the other end of the cable into my iPod. At the moment my iPod is in my jacket pocket *points to my jacket*
Him: I see. Have you heard of the Beats by Dre headphones at all?
Me: Yeah...a lot of people have them at school.
Him: How does your pair compare to the Beats?
Me: Oh they're way better. You mostly pay for the name on the Beats.
Him: How much were those?
Me: I got them for $250.
Him: $250???
eek.gif
  Wow.
Me: It's cheaper than the Beats and they sound much better, I can't really complain. I mean, you might as well pay for good sound if you're buying headphones that expensive, right?
Him: Yeah that's true.
*change of topic*

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #5,748 of 12,415

I had my 940's with me a few weeks ago during a family outing and my uncle started a conversation with me about headphones. It went something along the lines of:

I knew that i should have worded it better, but it was my P.E. teacher that had just walked in with the Beats. Doesn't really matter but i felt like i should inform you of that for some reason.
Also cool story and i wish i could write more like that but exact details of my conversations are hard to remember, guess paraphrasing would work.

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #5,749 of 12,415

Quote:

Him: Hey *insert my name here*, those are some pretty big-looking headphones you've got there. What are you listening to?
Me: I'm not listening to anything right now, but I've been trying to expand the types of music I listen to. At the moment I'm kind of exploring orchestra, classical, and world music.
Him: Wow that's pretty cool. How do you listen to them? What's it connected to? Do you just hook it up to your iPod?
Me: Oh, there's a detachable cable that goes into here *points to 2.5mm jack* and I attach the other end of the cable into my iPod. At the moment my iPod is in my jacket pocket *points to my jacket*
eek.gif
  Wow.
Me: It's cheaper than the Beats and they sound much better, I can't really complain. I mean, you might as well pay for good sound if you're buying headphones that expensive, right?
*change of topic*

Msrp of the srh940 and the beats studios are the same.

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #5,751 of 12,415
Dec 16, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #5,752 of 12,415
Saw a pair of Koss Pro DJ100 at high school today. I walked right up to him and examined them to get a closer look and he just stared at me. Then I walked away and went on to take my finals. That's probably going on his facebook status as an awkward moment.

Dec 16, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #5,753 of 12,415
Haven't been out much since I started getting into headphones. Think I'll be much more on the watch when I go back to college. Although now whenever I see someone wearing headphones, I'm very curious...almost want to ask the person to look at them. Although I am working on a christmas concert right now and a lot of the instrumentalist on keyboard and organ are wearing sony headphones but I cannot identify them since I don't know much about that brand. They are regular sized closed headphones seemingly.

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #5,754 of 12,415
Saw an M-50 today at the university library. My first ever sighting of an M 50 on campus 
rolleyes.gif

I had my hd-25s on. Took a good look at him too as he passed by me. But he totally ignored me though. 
frown.gif

I've been also seeing this Chinese guy around. I still had my hd 25s on then.
He stared at me for the longest time to the point where I thought it was almost rude.
Then he reached into his backpack digging around for the longtime and took out what seemed like Sony EX-600 earbuds plugged them into his iphone and started listening to music.
He stopped staring and looked straight ahead like he wanted me to see those shiny sony earbuds 
bigsmile_face.gif

That was the first time I was seeing some proper IEMs at the university 
smile.gif

Dec 16, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #5,755 of 12,415

Quote:

eek.gif
  Wow.
*change of topic*

I hate when that happens. I have had many people in my life walk up to me. start talking about headphones...and then mention beats against those....and then i have to explain to them how they just aren't worth the price. they stop paying attention to me(politley) after i start bashing on the line. I will usually when i ask them if they would pay for a Gucci pimped car or bag or something, they always so no. then i ask why they bought beats....and teh silence begins.

Quote:
Saw an M-50 today at the university library. My first ever sighting of an M 50 on campus 
rolleyes.gif

I had my hd-25s on. Took a good look at him too as he passed by me. But he totally ignored me though. 
frown.gif

I've been also seeing this Chinese guy around. I still had my hd 25s on then.
He stared at me for the longest time to the point where I thought it was almost rude.
Then he reached into his backpack digging around for the longtime and took out what seemed like Sony EX-600 earbuds plugged them into his iphone and started listening to music.
He stopped staring and looked straight ahead like he wanted me to see those shiny sony earbuds 
bigsmile_face.gif

That was the first time I was seeing some proper IEMs at the university 
smile.gif

Dude:Looks at you, thinks about what those HD 25's are
Dude:*in head* ehh, mine are much better. his is probably some cheap fake
Dude:*in head*yep. time to show off some real headphones
Dude:*Whips out sony's* Check these "Quality" babies out.

You: 

Dec 16, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #5,756 of 12,415
all i see in my college/high school is beats by dre..really annoying half of them dont even listen much you just see them all day around their necks for show. i love this thread by the way, its cool having loads of other head fi-ers to talk to compared to normal people such as someone who laughed at me for knowing the code of the model of my headphones!....

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #5,757 of 12,415
Usually I see beats and skullcandys all around. I've been in luck lately though. Saw a guy with B&W P5 two days back. He did look at me for more than a glance but unfortunately I was in a hurry and could only manage a quick smile 
frown.gif

I do remember though the first semester when I got here in the US. Had always been excited about quality audio. But never had access to the equipment. So then, I got my first real earbuds (Image S4s). Cause of the raving CNET review of course.

But everyday, I would see all these guys walking around with those big, cool looking headphones. It just had a B logo on it. Wow those must be really good, really expensive, most awesome sounding headphones, I thought. Maybe I'd get to listen to them one day..

And then, I stumbled onto this forum...

Still haven't heard a single beats headphone.. I still want to listen to them. But definitely not dying to buy them 
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #5,759 of 12,415

Quote:
Usually I see beats and skullcandys all around. I've been in luck lately though. Saw a guy with B&W P5 two days back. He did look at me for more than a glance but unfortunately I was in a hurry and could only manage a quick smile 
frown.gif

I do remember though the first semester when I got here in the US. Had always been excited about quality audio. But never had access to the equipment. So then, I got my first real earbuds (Image S4s). Cause of the raving CNET review of course.

But everyday, I would see all these guys walking around with those big, cool looking headphones. It just had a B logo on it. Wow those must be really good, really expensive, most awesome sounding headphones, I thought. Maybe I'd get to listen to them one day..

And then, I stumbled onto this forum...

Still haven't heard a single beats headphone.. I still want to listen to them. But definitely not dying to buy them 
biggrin.gif

The beats solo's...you can just skip. a lot of bass and impact. but since it's on ear...it is not good. the Studio is decent...but not for $300

Users who are viewing this thread

Back