Headphone Sightings 2
Jul 15, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #1,036 of 12,415
I've recently seen customers at work (I work in a large record store) wearing UE Triple.fis, Super.fi 5 Pros, Grados (SR-60, 80, 225), some kind of Ultrasones (ugliest headphones ever), various Shure models (including one guy wearing E2Cs backwards - that is, without running them behind his ears).

Surely some of those people are from here.

Jul 22, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #1,037 of 12,415
I saw some guy on the subway yesterday wearing Grado SR80s. He kept staring at my own SR80s, so he MUST be a Head-Fier.
wink.gif
Come on, mysterious guy, out yourself!

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #1,039 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbbb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is very worrying... no one in MY school spends more than $150 for their ear/headphones.......

I would say that same about the city i live, and almost whole country xD Damn you Finnish people!

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #1,040 of 12,415
lots of ipod buds, fakes, china-made crappy headphones here... the only head-turner for me is a physician wearing se-530, actually we've made conversation and invite him to join head-fi...he seems to have deep pocket to be a head-fier..LOL..

Jul 24, 2008 at 9:17 AM Post #1,041 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbbb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no one in MY school spends more than $150 for their ear/headphones

I would say that same about the city i live, and almost whole country

Porta pro is the most expensive and the most frequently seen headphone here. It costs 7% of the average monthly sallary in my district, but some people probably bought it >3 years ago when it was >11%. Anyway, people here spend more on a pair of shoes, pants or a jacket for 1 season.

Yesterday I watched Once and it's full of HD25-1s and HD25-1 SPs (there is a scene of a band recording in a studio) even the bonus feature (making of) shows the crew using them

Jul 29, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #1,042 of 12,415
Saw someone at the Monash Uni bus depot running around with AT AD700's over a beanie which was strange... might have been the same guy a few days earlier that i thought i saw wearing either grado SR60's or 80's, had the grado shape and a silver button on the grill. Other than that there's the usual sea of iBuds and SonyEricsson phones that you get with the mobiles.
Any other Monash Uni students in here?

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #1,044 of 12,415
yea I don't see how you could possibly use open phones on a bus...

on the other hand, I've seen a few people lately with Porta Pros, I haven't seen them being sold in retail stores, so maybe they are doing their research before buying :p

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #1,047 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience, most closed headphones are worthless in public transportation. For me, IEMs are the only way to get enough isolation

I felt the same way as well with my HD-25's, which now belong to a friend (;

Jul 29, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #1,049 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do people seriously use open headphone like sr80 and ad700 communting in public? What?

I do.
biggrin.gif
SR80s are very light and (relatively) compact, and I can still hear enough over the music to know if a car is going to run me over when I'm walking or some drunk is throwing a ruckus at the back of the train when on the subway. Total isolation in public creeps me out.
frown.gif

Jul 29, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #1,050 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do.
biggrin.gif
SR80s are very light and (relatively) compact, and I can still hear enough over the music to know if a car is going to run me over when I'm walking or some drunk is throwing a ruckus at the back of the train when on the subway. Total isolation in public creeps me out.
frown.gif

I hear people talking on the DC Metro with my UM1s on. Plus the fact that the average noise level on a moving train is over 95dB with peaks over 110dB. I don't want to listen to music that loud. Even in an underground station without a train, the background sound is 85dB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back