Headphone Sightings 2
Feb 24, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #361 of 12,415
all i ever see are the ****in apple ibuds that i want to rip them out of their ears and stomp on them. everyone EVERYONE uses them. i rarely see anything else. i go around with my er6i's and have a few times with my grado sr60's but no one cares. i think i've seen some shure e2cs before though.

one funny thing is that there is this guy in my audio class that brought in his apparently new beyer dt770s with his tiny apple nano. he asked the teacher to listem to them and the teacher said "the output is weak" (i guess audio engineers don't know too much about headphones). i yelled out "you need an amp for those!" and was willing to explain to him why you'd need an amp but he just ignored me and said to the teacher "so i should return them." and i just rolled my eyes and cried.

maybe i should start walking around with my grado sr225s now but im using those bright yellow senn pads and it looks weird. i should try to bleach them or something

edit: any audiophiles that go to CSUF speak up. im still waiting the day i see another person with grados!!!!!!!

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #362 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by vold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all i ever see are the ****in apple ibuds that i want to rip them out of their ears and stomp on them. everyone EVERYONE uses them. i rarely see anything else. i go around with my er6i's and have a few times with my grado sr60's but no one cares. i think i've seen some shure e2cs before though.

one funny thing is that there is this guy in my audio class that brought in his apparently new beyer dt770s with his tiny apple nano. he asked the teacher to listem to them and the teacher said "the output is weak" (i guess audio engineers don't know too much about headphones). i yelled out "you need an amp for those!" and was willing to explain to him why you'd need an amp but he just ignored me and said to the teacher "so i should return them." and i just rolled my eyes and cried.

maybe i should start walking around with my grado sr225s now but im using those bright yellow senn pads and it looks weird. i should try to bleach them or something

I like the look of the senn pads. They look quirky and cool. There was someone who died them black before, so I guess you could try that if you don't want to look as cool...

Feb 26, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #363 of 12,415
Today, we rented the Dreamworks film, Madagascar, for my girlfriend's son to watch. He's almost five.

After the movie ended, we watched some of the special features, which included interviews with the voice actors. The interviews showed shots of the actors recording lines in the studio, and all of them were using DT770 Pros (pre-2005) with coiled cables. I thought that was pretty cool.

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #366 of 12,415
last week, riding home VIVA, a man with bose qc2 or 3 was in front of me enjoying the silence. my um2 were behind him plugged into my supermini with a 60$ ic - all told, together, we were worth US 900$ or so just on headphones.

oh yes, the sides of his headbands were taped with electrical tape!

Feb 26, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #367 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by nrwilk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When grabbing my checked-in luggage after a flight last week, I saw a kid who I estimate was ~18 wearing some cans that I could not identify.

I bet someone here knows what they are, though.

They were ALL white. The headband, and the connectors that hold the cups were very thick and bulky. Just above each cup, they had a large swivel mechanism which looked just like the ones on the Ultrasone Proline cans, only bigger. They were obviously modernly stylized, and the guy was obviously proud of them. He saw me checking them out, but oh well.

I think they MAY have been Skullcandy cans, but when I look at the skullcandies, it just doesn't seem that they are the same thing. The cups on these cans seem bigger than the ones on the skullcandies. But, this may be just my imagination playing tricks on me.

Any idea what they were?

Bleached/white-washed R10s?

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #368 of 12,415
Ive seen mostly grados around my campus, i go to rutgers. I wear my ultimate ears super fi 3 when im listening to my portable, but cause i have a car and drive to class i just listen to my car stereo. My mom uses sennheiser px100 when she goes to the gym and sometimes the shure e3. She has the best headphones out of anyone at the gym, take that!
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:15 PM Post #369 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by vold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i yelled out "you need an amp for those!" and was willing to explain to him why you'd need an amp but he just ignored me and said to the teacher "so i should return them." and i just rolled my eyes and cried.

Wow. That really blows. I feel your pain.

btw I honestly like the look of the Grados, even with the yellow pads, make them look distinctive. It's retro but not gaudy. I would wear mine out (I'm from UCD; SR-80) but they leak too *****ing much. Maybe I should just wear them without turning them on hahahahaha.
rs1smile.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #370 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bleached/white-washed R10s?

No, they looked a LOT like the ultrasones that I linked to. If they made a totally white version, I'd swear that's what they were. They also could have been those white skullcandy cans.

Any other hip/trendy headphone manufacturer which may not be discussed here much, but fits this description?

EDIT:
Actually, the more I look at that Skullcandy picture, the more I think that they were those white Skullcandies. hmm...

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #371 of 12,415
All I see are iBuds and the occasional Triport at school. I get a lot of stares with my HD25-1s . . . go figure.
rolleyes.gif
Actually, I work at IT and am in the process of inventorying all of the computer labs on campus, and the Media Services Lab and Music Lab are chock full of ****** Phillips and Plantronics headphones/headsets, but also a decent chunk of Sennheiser HD202s . . . don't know much about them, but I think I can safely wager they're better than the crap most people are toting around.

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #372 of 12,415
Spotted Shure e2c this morning at Stony Brook.

I must be freaking alot of people out staring at their ears...

Oh!, is that?!...no thats just another ear bud... Oh!, wait, whats that? no... nevermind... Every now and then though, I see something that actually is worth while.

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #374 of 12,415
Guy in front of me in the security line going from Chicago O'Hare to Atlanta had e4c, yes I stared, and I had my er6i in and my dad had my marshmallows. Whoever the head-fier is, fess up. He also almost dropped his computer onto the floor, little toshiba, I grabbed it for him because I thought the thing would shatter.

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #375 of 12,415
I'm an integrated science major at northwestern, so being in a group of nerds, I see grado's pretty often, usually s60's or s80's.

There were enough of them to make me ashamed of my Sony d22's.

This week, I'll have my revenge when my Audio Technica A700's come in the mail.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back