Headphone Sightings 2
May 14, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #12,001 of 12,415
When I was in Canada last August I spotted a young woman with Koss Porta-Pro's on. Those things are pretty gaudy looking, so they stood out immediately. I was surprised that she had them, it made me think she valued sound over looks and that impressed me. Then again, she might have just been given them as a gift and hated the way they looked, but just was too cheap to buy anything else, LOL! 

I see a TON of Beats every day at the University. I mean I see like 10-20 pairs of Solos every day. This isn't surprising since it's an HBCU and kids who listen to hip-hop have always been one of the main targets of advertising for Beats. They seem to be more of a status symbol than anything else though. I see people who just walk around with them around their neck as a necklace pretty much. I occasionally see other headphones too, but nothing I recognize. I keep hoping to see someone wearing an Urbanite or Urbanite XL, as I think those are really good looking headphones. 

May 14, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #12,003 of 12,415

EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
saw someone with a Denon (not sure which model, but its over-ear) and follow by a Urbanite XL XD

I have seen a lot of good stuff while traveling arround but they are way too big when you travel with a 10Kg bag :frowning2:

May 14, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #12,004 of 12,415
They seem to be more of a status symbol than anything else though. I see people who just walk around with them around their neck as a necklace pretty much.

General consensus on the current line-up (or at least the Solo 2 and a few others) seems to be that sound quality is finally starting to live up to price tag, which is pretty cool, considering their popularity.

Personally tend to wear headphones around my neck a lot, especially if there are a lot of people around, "situational awareness" and whatnot, also what better place to keep them? much less likely to get bent or crushed than in a backpack and headphone cases take up a lot of space. Wouldn't be caught dead with Beats tho, kinda ugly and gaudy at the same time, I resent their influence on the styling of other headphone brands (looking at you Denon
confused.gif
)

May 14, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #12,005 of 12,415
  General consensus on the current line-up (or at least the Solo 2 and a few others) seems to be that sound quality is finally starting to live up to price tag, which is pretty cool, considering their popularity.

Personally tend to wear headphones around my neck a lot, especially if there are a lot of people around, "situational awareness" and whatnot, also what better place to keep them? much less likely to get bent or crushed than in a backpack and headphone cases take up a lot of space. Wouldn't be caught dead with Beats tho, kinda ugly and gaudy at the same time, I resent their influence on the styling of other headphone brands (looking at you Denon
confused.gif
)

over ear headphones for outdoor is not really my thing lol. I tried it with a m50x and it heats up which made my ear uncomfortable and the isolation cannot be compared with iems...I think the Denon's 600 or 7100 looks really nice, but it will be too big to put them around the neck

I have seen a lot of good stuff while traveling arround but they are way too big when you travel with a 10Kg bag :frowning2:

you are lucky :D true, it can be a trouble traveling with large cans.

May 14, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #12,006 of 12,415
idk why, not that the Denons or even Beats are truly ugly... my brain just refuses to accept that headband shape. I do like the way it looks on the Urbanites and some vintage models though.

May 14, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #12,008 of 12,415
I saw a student here one of my university's dining halls, wearing JHA Roxanne, about a week ago, I believe. It was pretty unreal. Never thought I'd see one of those in the wild.

May 20, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #12,011 of 12,415
haha... i've been close to getting those AKGs or previous equivalent a few times in the past. Saw some Momentum in-ears in the wild for the first time yesterday, also very odd looking, though maybe helped by what seemed to be a strange fit on the dude.

May 20, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #12,013 of 12,415

Amazon does not work with Romania.

JVC marshmallows are very popular in here, the XX bass edition. 

I had seen at least 20 (iem and headphone combined) of those JVCs.

I wonder how they sound like.

From what I've heard, they sound very meh, though I've only heard the cheaper offerings ($50>), and imo basshead + cheapies = **** that.
They did make a headphone with a subwoofer in them, which I find pretty hilarious.  I'm no basshead at all, though I'd like to hear how those sound sometime.

May 20, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #12,014 of 12,415
  From what I've heard, they sound very meh, though I've only heard the cheaper offerings ($50>), and imo basshead + cheapies = **** that.
They did make a headphone with a subwoofer in them, which I find pretty hilarious.  I'm no basshead at all, though I'd like to hear how those sound sometime.

Yeah i think the XX jvcs are all in that price range... the FX101 I tried was really good if all you want to hear is bass boom and EQ out hte painful treble... i guess some people have a use for that lol. 

The woofer series (FXZ) has a few fans on the IEM Bass Club thread I think- if they're anything like the FXT90s but with subs, should be pretty good. I've never seen any of those nicer JVCs here, I guess because they aren't officialy distributed in the States :frowning2:

May 21, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #12,015 of 12,415
Orange Beats Studio v1 worn backwards. Didn't seem to be fake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back