Headphone Sightings 2
Dec 6, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #5,641 of 12,415
Saw some kid rocking a pair of Samson CH700's
http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/headphones/ch-series/ch700/
the first semi audiophile approved headphones i've EVER SEEN in public. yeah. my area is wack with the Beats Hype

Samson most famous for the SR850 on Head-fi for being very good AKG 240 copies at only $50 with free shipping.
Probably listening to some 192kbps MP3's though.

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #5,642 of 12,415

Quote:

Gummy Earbuds plz. IEM's are In Ear Monitors. Earbuds have those buds that most IEMS and what not have. Earphones are basically the apple earbuds. 

I always thought earbuds were earphones without IEM tips. Earphones is just the generic thing to call headphones that go in the concha. But semantics are dumb.

Over the weekend, I saw a couple guys with V700's and HD448's. I'd have thought Sony would do something new with the VX00 series by now, since they really aren't that great and seem to have build issues, save for the V900HD.

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #5,643 of 12,415

Quote:
I always thought earbuds were earphones without IEM tips. Earphones is just the generic thing to call headphones that go in the concha. But semantics are dumb.

Over the weekend, I saw a couple guys with V700's and HD448's. I'd have thought Sony would do something new with the VX00 series by now, since they really aren't that great and seem to have build issues, save for the V900HD.

Well i go by this system

Earphones: The Tips are flat and oval shapped. OR same thing with a microphone attached. Where I think the meaning of "ear" "phone" came from. AND *standard, all types generic name for all small in ear audio apparatuses, like you said above
Example: Fostex Apple Earphones

Earbuds: Same design as above. or torpedo shapped. Has a sprouting flower bud. Same style buds used in most IEM's. Average quality whatever brands.
Example: Skullcandy Ink'd, 

IEM's: In Ear Monitors. Any Earphone that has superior sound and audiophile approved. These don't take any specific shape, they can be torpedo shapped or whatever the manufacturer intended. These are just names for superior "*earphones"(standard, all types generic name for all small in ear audio apparatuses)
Example: Westone 3, Shure SE215* (Top line shaped IEM's)
ER6i and Monster Turbine Copper (example of an all regular "Earbud" and "Earphone" shaped IEM) 

*The SE215's aren't top line IEM's but they borrow their body shape from it's top line cousin

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #5,645 of 12,415
I went to class one day with my LCD-2s.  I was complimented on them.

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #5,646 of 12,415

Quote:
Well i go by this system

Earphones: The Tips are flat and oval shapped. OR same thing with a microphone attached. Where I think the meaning of "ear" "phone" came from. AND *standard, all types generic name for all small in ear audio apparatuses, like you said above
Example: Fostex Apple Earphones

Earbuds: Same design as above. or torpedo shapped. Has a sprouting flower bud. Same style buds used in most IEM's. Average quality whatever brands.
Example: Skullcandy Ink'd, 

IEM's: In Ear Monitors. Any Earphone that has superior sound and audiophile approved. These don't take any specific shape, they can be torpedo shapped or whatever the manufacturer intended. These are just names for superior "*earphones"(standard, all types generic name for all small in ear audio apparatuses)
Example: Westone 3, Shure SE215* (Top line shaped IEM's)
ER6i and Monster Turbine Copper (example of an all regular "Earbud" and "Earphone" shaped IEM) 

*The SE215's aren't top line IEM's but they borrow their body shape from it's top line cousin

Fair enough, but I'd always thought of earbuds as, well my ear's buds, since they're usually a lot less...invasive than IEM's. 

Oh, and I don't think Fostex makes iBuds, do they? I thought it was Foster, the parent company, not Fostex.

And^^^Pics or it didn't happen. 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #5,647 of 12,415

Quote:
Fair enough, but I'd always thought of earbuds as, well my ear's buds, since they're usually a lot less...invasive than IEM's. 

Oh, and I don't think Fostex makes iBuds, do they? I thought it was Foster, the parent company, not Fostex.

And^^^Pics or it didn't happen. 
tongue_smile.gif

haha i was too lazy to get pics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fostex
a
nd yeah. Fostex makes the ibuds.. Fostex is founded by Foster...but Fostex still makes it themselves

and well since u a heapdhone supremus is agreeing on my system..i guess i have a good earbud,earphone system :)

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #5,648 of 12,415
The source doesn't seem to be too trustworthy, and I don't really think Fostex would benefit from making iBuds along with the awesome pro audio stuff they make.

The pic thing was for dagothur.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #5,649 of 12,415
Meh... I'm still not convinced by your ranking system. The way I see it, and earphone is a generic name for anything that goes in your ear, as opposed to on or over it. This can be divided into 2 subcategories: earbuds and IEMs. Earbuds I classify as the kind that sit in your outer ear, i.e. iBuds, the original Gumy buds, Yuins, etc. IEMs would be any earphones that have some kind of sleeve that actually seals into your inner ear, regardless of relative sound quality, etc... Ergo, the link I posted displays a pair of IEMs. As far as I knew, that was the standard classification system, but I guess not...

Anyway, back on topic, I am seeing a whole lot of Sony ZX100s around campus lately...

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #5,650 of 12,415
Meh... I'm still not convinced by your ranking system. The way I see it, and earphone is a generic name for anything that goes in your ear, as opposed to on or over it. This can be divided into 2 subcategories: earbuds and IEMs. Earbuds I classify as the kind that sit in your outer ear, i.e. iBuds, the original Gumy buds, Yuins, etc. IEMs would be any earphones that have some kind of sleeve that actually seals into your inner ear, regardless of relative sound quality, etc... Ergo, the link I posted displays a pair of IEMs. As far as I knew, that was the standard classification system, but I guess not...

Anyway, back on topic, I am seeing a whole lot of Sony ZX100s around campus lately...

I also use that system.
On topic though and since i haven't posted the obligatory "i just see beats around here" i go ahead and do it.
At my school maybe 10-15 people have beats, 1 tour and one studio, the rest are solos. Some generic sonys, Panasonic and cobys, also some random fashion oriented cans. I saw a girl wearing XB500 at my old school but otherwise i never seen anyone wear any good headphones unless they were listening to mine.

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #5,652 of 12,415
Before head-fi i called everything which went in your ear (in-ear) earbuds and everything that sits in your ears earphones. Now i still go by that classification.

IEM is reserved for earbuds designed for people monitoring on stage or in the studio. Hence the term in-ear monitor for monitoring. Earbuds are consumer based (including audiophile) in ear earphones. That means the monster turbines and etymotic are earbuds, while the shure, and westone are iems.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #5,653 of 12,415

Quote:
Before head-fi i called everything which went in your ear (in-ear) earbuds and everything that sits in your ears earphones. Now i still go by that classification.

IEM is reserved for earbuds designed for people monitoring on stage or in the studio. Hence the term in-ear monitor for monitoring. Earbuds are consumer based (including audiophile) in ear earphones. That means the monster turbines and etymotic are earbuds, while the shure, and westone are iems.

Etys are for professional use too you know. The ER4B and whatnot.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #5,654 of 12,415

Quote:
The source doesn't seem to be too trustworthy, and I don't really think Fostex would benefit from making iBuds along with the awesome pro audio stuff they make.

The pic thing was for dagothur.

Actually they do make the ibuds. 

Earphones can be classified into two groups: Earbuds and In-Ear Monitors

Headphones can be classified into two groups: Supra-aural and Circumaural.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #5,655 of 12,415

Quote:

I just feel like this is a pretty arbitrary classification, because how you use your IEMs is entirely up to you. As the previous poster pointed out, tons of people use etymotics for professional use, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the higher-end westones are intended for monitoring. It seems much easier to classify them based on some physical characteristic rather than arbitrary usage and objective sound quality classifications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back