Headphone CSD waterfall plots
Sep 30, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #256 of 937
Quote:
I'll be sticking with my recent practice of providing my initial listening impressions before the measurements. LFF was with me so he can attest to the accuracy of (or lack of) my predictions. This is fun. OK here it goes: 

HE300

Looks like the DJ100 has been dethroned
beerchug.gif

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #257 of 937

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LFF was with me so he can attest to the accuracy of (or lack of) my predictions.

I trust your ears and they are accurate.

For those who weren't there...basically Purrin called out what he heard (peaks, suck outs, ringing, etc) before he measured them. I usually concurred or he concurred with my initial impressions.

The difference between us though was that I would say something along the lines of "I hear a mid-range suck out right in the middle" while Purrin would say something along the line of "I hear a suck out at 1.5kHz". Sure enough...the suck out would be around 1.5kHz. Great ears!

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #259 of 937

Quote:

V-Moda M80

Hmm. Fashion headphones. Smallish supra-aural. Hmm. These can't be good. <Putting them on> Wow. Surprising they don't sound that bad. Hey, I'm still listening to them. They are giving me some musical information. Yup. Going to listen to a few more tracks. I can't believe I'm not finding them offensive for what they are. Maybe it was my extremely low expectations upon first seeing them. Wait. K.D. Lang voice's is a bit bumped up. At least these work well for popular music. Broad peak at 2kHz? No appreciable ringing heard. That's impressive. Rolled off.

Lets go. (I had to to solid plate tests for these because of the supra-aural design. The solid plate tests tend to emphasize any ringing and create more junk and plateaus below 1.5kHz)

Not to shabby at all, considering solid plate tests were used. The FR could be more linear, but it's actually fairly clean for what it is. I'll post a 2kHz+ version of the usual anechoic plate tests later.

Congrats!  You are the first to post about the 2kHz and Afrojack also noticed it within seconds when he put them on (grammy winning producer), in fact many on-ears dip very low at that frequency.

There is a resp curve on our site to compare to other >$200 on-ears, it is representative of what you said:

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #260 of 937

Battle for the Throne!        

They are ugly in different ways, but if you were to be banished to a desert island, and could only take one headphone, which would it be?

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #261 of 937

Quote:
I trust your ears and they are accurate.

For those who weren't there...basically Purrin called out what he heard (peaks, suck outs, ringing, etc) before he measured them. I usually concurred or he concurred with my initial impressions.

The difference between us though was that I would say something along the lines of "I hear a mid-range suck out right in the middle" while Purrin would say something along the line of "I hear a suck out at 1.5kHz". Sure enough...the suck out would be around 1.5kHz. Great ears!

DISCLAIMER: I just wanted to clarify a few things on my impressions. I'm calling them out exactly the way I would do if I were building speakers for myself or for a friend. I've been fortunate to own professional speaker measuring for quite a few years now. I possess no special god-like abilities, but I've trained myself to listen for abnormalities. Also at the request of many members, I've decided be more honest with my impressions. I hope this doesn't offend. It's just my opinion. I generally prefer a darker sound (even though my primary cans are HD800s, but - modified.)  I don't consider overall tonal tilt (bright or dark) an issue so long as the frequency response is fairly linear (smooth), and there are no trouble spots such as ringing. To date, there have been only two headphones I have heard which satisfy this criteria. I await for the day where most headphones will have the linearity of mid-fi speakers.

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #262 of 937

Quote:
Congrats!  You are the first to post about the 2kHz and Afrojack also noticed it within seconds when he put them on (grammy winning producer), in fact many on-ears dip very low at that frequency.

There is a resp curve on our site to compare to other >$200 on-ears, it is representative of what you said:

I must say, they were enjoyable. They would not have lasted long on my head if they were not able to extract a certain threshold of low-level information.

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #263 of 937

Quote:

I must say, they were enjoyable. They would not have lasted long on my head if they were not able to extract a certain threshold of low-level information.

To V-Moda:

Purrin is being totally honest. The HE-300 lasted less than 2 minutes on his head. The M-80's...well...I almost had to ask him back for them! (They say LFF on them after all....
tongue_smile.gif
)

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #264 of 937

Quote:

<snip>  and there are no trouble spots such as ringing. To date, there have been only two headphones I have heard which satisfy this criteria.<snip>

Do tell.....

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #265 of 937
Quote:

Battle for the Throne!        

They are ugly in different ways, but if you were to be banished to a desert island, and could only take one headphone, which would it be?

I don't know, it sounds noticeably less clean than the srh840 5k and up but the DJ100 with M50 pads just doesn't sound that bad to me. The lower midrange peak on the T50rp that barely shows up is leagues more annoying, and the HE300 looks like it's taking some heavy inspiration from Aphex Twin around there.
biggrin.gif

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #266 of 937
Quote:
Do tell.....

EDITS MADE:

SR009 and ESP950. Actually 3. I forgot about your modded T50RPs. I don't know if the headband helped to provide a better seal or brought the drivers closer to my ears, but the 10k peak I heard before wasn't there this time. I would say those three are within acceptable levels of linearity for me. The 009 is almost perfect and I concur with Tyll's observations. The ESP950 has some midbass and upper midrange emphasis. Your modded T50RPs have a slight downward (dark) tilt. The 009 is the only one that doesn't roll off in the treble though.

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #267 of 937

Quote:

SR009 and ESP950.

Actually 3. I forgot about your modded T50RPs.

The 009 is the only one that doesn't roll off in the treble though.

Two apples (open) and an orange (closed) huh....

Wasn't expecting mine though...honestly....

I never got a chance to hear the ESP950. Must go on my "to listen to" list.

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #268 of 937
^ just so the random reader doesn't get confused... we are just talking about FR linearity and lack of ringing. There is drop in the treble in the last octave. This is based on old data. As I said, I didn't hear the 10kHz boost this time around. Wish I took the usual measurements.

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #269 of 937

Quote:

EDITS MADE:

SR009 and ESP950. Actually 3. I forgot about your modded T50RPs. I don't know if the headband helped to provide a better seal or brought the drivers closer to my ears, but the 10k peak I heard before wasn't there this time. I would say those three are within acceptable levels of linearity for me. The 009 is almost perfect and I concur with Tyll's observations. The ESP950 has some midbass and upper midrange emphasis. Your modded T50RPs have a slight downward (dark) tilt. The 009 is the only one that doesn't roll off in the treble though.

I concur...it probably was the headband. I felt my suspension headband allows for an easier and better seal as well as keeping the driver close. The added comfort is just frosting on top of a delicious cake. But man...that 009....I know what I'll be dreaming of....

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #270 of 937
I don't think the "veil" in the HD650 is FR related, the HD600 has plenty of treble and IMO is even a bit bright in the upper midrange (and also sound just as "dull" to me).  And if an ortho had the same FR as HD650, it wouldn't sound veiled at all.  The O2 has similar FR but isn't described as "veiled". 

Purrin, is there anything else you see in the measurements that might give them the slightly "dull" sound as I hear it (I don't think veil is the right descriptor personally)?  It looks like the driver is fairly fast as well as having pretty fast decay.  In comparing your measurements to other phones, they seem like they would sound faster than they do.  Maybe it's something else, I've thought it could be damping related.  Maybe an overly damped driver that gives it that slightly "dry" sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back