Headphone CSD waterfall plots
Sep 28, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #226 of 937

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, me too. But the "veil" is used to describe the HD600 as well.

What I meant to say, was that it would be interesting to see the effects of less than ideal amping in Purrin's measurements. Faster decay at certain areas due to adequate amping? Certainly, but to what degree?

I see.

The adequate amping issue would be interesting to see in measurements.

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #227 of 937

Quote:
Quote:
The veil thing came from a time where there wasn't much choice with headphones amps. These headphones are a little bit harder to drive than most.

It´s possible to get the sound as clear as on the LCD-2 on the HD 650? Is the HD 650 really that much more difficult to drive then say a HD 800 or T1?

Can't fathom that as a possibility in terms of transparency, resolve, depth and imaging. I wish the LCD-2 had the same width as the HD650 though.

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #228 of 937

Quote:
I think you would have to get that bass under control with the 650 and you would have to mod a bit. Even then, I doubt you could get to an ortho level with a dynamic headphone. It's easier to reach or exceed the LCD-2 with a Fostex T50/T40 than with a dynamic IMHO. Just my opinion of course.

I don't know, the K701 for instance is really good already and competes with the LCD-2, even at that price. Measurements look good too. Listened to them next to each other maybe a bit less than a year back and thought the K701 even beat them in some regards. But that trial was done with 70s prog music and some jazz... Not too complex. The LCD-2 didn't give any extra value to the presentation in my opinion. Maybe with some other material it might be a different story though... Have the LCD-2 now on loan and while they're 'ok', I could never justify myself owning them again.

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #229 of 937

Quote:
I don't know, the K701 for instance is really good already and competes with the LCD-2, even at that price. Measurements look good too. Listened to them next to each other maybe a bit less than a year back and thought the K701 even beat them in some regards. But that trial was done with 70s prog music and some jazz... Not too complex. The LCD-2 didn't give any extra value to the presentation in my opinion. Maybe with some other material it might be a different story though... Have the LCD-2 now on loan and while they're 'ok', I could never justify myself owning them again.

Wow...that's brutal.

I've never been a fan of the K701 but then again, I also never compared them side by side to an ortho. I guess I have to put that on my "to do" list. The biggest difference I have noticed with the high end orthos is in the extension and speed the orthos provide.

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #230 of 937
I see how people could dislike them... But while I had the original HE-5, it brought nothing to the table vs. a K701 (properly set up).

I don't own any of the mentioned cans at the moment, but will spend some more time with the LCD-2 for the next week or two. So far, they do bring butt loads of detail into the mix and in the end are quite similar tonally to my K272HD. Might be that they're both good enough to let my front end shine through? 
tongue.gif

The price I paid for the K272 though... Ridiculous how good they are for the money. Weighing them against the LCD-2 made me even further realize that. :) 

But that's enough on this particular matter, at least on this thread! (Sorry Purrin and others) I'll have fun flaming people on the LCD-2 appreciation thread later on, bwahaha.

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #231 of 937
I'm tempted to send my Stax Lambda in for measurements, but I don't know how long I could do without my best headphones, the first ones even approaching audiophile headphones (if my AD700s didn't already qualify).

Also, while the cable has a 5-pin plug, this is allegedly a Normal bias set with rebuilt drivers (and thicker 2.5 micron diaphragms instead of the usual 2 micron) and foam removed. Wouldn't surprise me if the cable got replaced too. Because of its non-stock nature, I really want to figure out how different it is from a stock SR-Lambda normal bias and the Lambda Nova Basic (which the seller likened it to).

What would really complicate things is if you don't have a Normal bias amp. I'm all but certain the SRM-323S is Pro bias-only, and I don't want to risk these being destroyed if they really are Normal bias with the wrong plug.

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #233 of 937

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, me too. But the "veil" is used to describe the HD600 as well.

What I meant to say, was that it would be interesting to see the effects of less than ideal amping in Purrin's measurements. Faster decay at certain areas due to adequate amping? Certainly, but to what degree?

The "veil" thing has more to do with frequency response, imho.

Amping might change the electrical damping, which could be seen on a CSD. However the HD650s have a high impedance, so you don't really need an ultra-low output impedance. Less than 15 ohm should be fine. Clipping induced by limited voltage swing is a greater concern for HD650 amping.

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #234 of 937
x2 on FR. If my graphs are to be believed, the HD650 have a trough near the sibilance and hiss regions. This combined with its voluminous bass (loose bass if not controlled) results in the veil. To me, it just a basic amping issue. The K701s also sound veiled (but thin) without a good amp. The HD650s are always going to sound laid back no matter what - I've never really considered it veiled.

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #235 of 937

Quote:
Bravo my friend...Bravo!

If you really want to screw with someone's perception, don't use a boy's choir....use a castrato.
wink_face.gif

I've heard an endocrinological castrato sing. It was unreal. 
eek.gif
 My friend and I looked at each other as if we were being messed with.

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #236 of 937
Sep 28, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #238 of 937

Quote:
I've heard an endocrinological castrato sing. It was unreal. 
eek.gif
 My friend and I looked at each other as if we were being messed with.

Yeah...it's surreal and yet so beautiful. So, so beautiful. I have a few CD's with Castrati singing and they never disappoint. I wish they were more recognized and more valued in the artistic community.

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #239 of 937

There's a good movie about a castrati, from the 90's I think... hmm I'll try to find it...

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farinelli_(film)

Quote:
I guess Beyer wasn't BS'ing about the 1.2 Tesla thing.

It seems so huh? I tested these just now against the TV...

MDR-V6 (minimal)
A2000X (almost nothing)
Fostex T-5 (minimal)
Sony E888 (almost nothing)
Beyer T5p (extreme)

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #240 of 937

Users who are viewing this thread

Back