Headed to college, looking for good headphones
Jun 18, 2011 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

juice lee

New Head-Fier
I'm new to these forums, but a buddy of mine visits this site every day and referred me here. I am about to go to college and want some headphones. The max I want to spend is $150, but preferably want to spend around $100 (or less
wink.gif
).

Uses:
- Music. I don't need 100% perfect sound replication or anything. I don't compose music or do any studio work at all. I just want to listen to indie, techno, rock, and alternative music for entertainment.  I usually listen to music for 2-3 hours a day and appreciate good sound. I just want the music to sound "good" and real. My current headphones ($5 airplane headphones) sound extremely fake.
- Games. I own a PS3 and play computer games. I probably will only play 3-5 hours a week, but I still want to play games with these headphones.
- TV / Movies. I watch movies often and if possible, would like to feel immersed in the action.

I tried on a pair of Bose AE headphones in Target and was wowed by the quality. But a few quick searches online showed me that they aren't really that great.

I also learned about the difference between closed / open headphones. How much sound leakage would occur in open headphones? Would I disturb a room mate if I was using the headphones (at medium volume) in the same room?

Any recommendations would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!!

Jun 18, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #3 of 6
No problem, I'll give you some suggestions anyway:

AKG K240 studio

Grado SR60i

JVC HARX900

Sennheiser HD448, HD555, HD518

Shure SRH440

Jun 18, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #5 of 6
well, prior to the college where more people live in one room and in case you wont get tolerant roommates, i highly advise beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro / 80 Ohm
They arent that expensive, i love their sound (yeah it's bassy because of closed design) but you wont annoy another people while listening to the music and noise in college wont drive you crazy.
I enjoyed my time with these beyers, i loved listening to the piano concertos on these.
I am also basshead (but i wont admit it to myself :D) and these headphones are bassy. but sound isnd muffled with bas, there is just more bass.

Jun 18, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #6 of 6
Try looking into the ultrasone hfi-580. Im a grado fan but needed sealed cans and got these. They are bassy but tolerable since bass is really tight. They can be had for ~150.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back