Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jan 26, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #12,451 of 12,592
Super late response but thanks everyone for the advice. So as an update, I bought a pair of Sennheiser IE 900s, which I don't think I saw anyone mention here - mostly on account of receiving an insane deal and I must say that they scratch that basshead itch for me at least. The bass is quite well-extended, dynamic, and fairly emphasized across the entire bass FR, unlike my Variations. I feel like between these, my Sony IER-M9s, and Audeze Euclids I think I am at IEM endgame status. Still tempted to try the Empire Ears stuff though.

Jan 26, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #12,452 of 12,592
Super late response but thanks everyone for the advice. So as an update, I bought a pair of Sennheiser IE 900s, which I don't think I saw anyone mention here - mostly on account of receiving an insane deal and I must say that they scratch that basshead itch for me at least. The bass is quite well-extended, dynamic, and fairly emphasized across the entire bass FR, unlike my Variations. I feel like between these, my Sony IER-M9s, and Audeze Euclids I think I am at IEM endgame status. Still tempted to try the Empire Ears stuff though.
I have achieved audio nirvana and have my end game...

Hang on a minute, this looks interesting...

One more can't hurt, right? :ksc75smile:

Jan 26, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #12,454 of 12,592
Current favourite basshead IEM is ISN EST50, huge sub bass with enough mid bass for good impact. For me this is the perfect amount of bass that also has control not bleeding to much into the mids.
Sound signature is L-shaped meaning neutral mids and treble with a solid bass increase.
DSCF1814.jpg

Jan 26, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #12,455 of 12,592
Have you tried the ie800s?

Jan 26, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #12,456 of 12,592
Im shocked the Truthear Zero isnt in here more. The fact it has 2 DD 10 and 7mm where the 10 has a real cross over...making basically a subwoofer. It has better subbass and lower midbass than I have ever heard in any iem/headphone. I am a huge Ikko oh10 fanboi but its hard to listen over the Zero.

I would imagine due to the limited scope and specialization of a subwoofer, that allows EQ to work so incredibly well with such low levels of distortion.

Jan 27, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #12,457 of 12,592
Im shocked the Truthear Zero isnt in here more. The fact it has 2 DD 10 and 7mm where the 10 has a real cross over...making basically a subwoofer. It has better subbass and lower midbass than I have ever heard in any iem/headphone. I am a huge Ikko oh10 fanboi but its hard to listen over the Zero.

I would imagine due to the limited scope and specialization of a subwoofer, that allows EQ to work so incredibly well with such low levels of distortion.
The Truthear Zero is one of the sets I have kept shortest. Maybe good with EQ as you say, in stock form boring for me.

Many like this type of tuning, many do not. Biggest problem having mostly sub bass, and little mid bass slam. The mids are neutral and not giving much emotion.

Treble is ok, not perfect.

Build looks good but feel cheap.

My subjective experience with zero, so if you like.
Good your happy with it👍

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #12,458 of 12,592
Ikko OH10 is also often recommended, great build and looks. The bass here also goes away faster than what I prefer(to little mid bass energy).

A alternative I recently found out is Penon FAN, very similar to OH10 but fixes 2 key issues I have with OH10.

FAN has a more Audiophile type of bass, not excessive amount. Similar to OH10 but a little more and more mid bass slam.

FAN_2_E70.jpgScreenshot_20230127-061142.png

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #12,459 of 12,592
Just got a pair of the KBEAR Rosefinch and they are a delight at their price point. Remind me of Meze 99's and really slam on the sub bass region.
your not the first to say this...i was worry that those are just KS2 in different shell but it dosnt like it is...KS2 are basshead but boomy V shape way, with harsh treble...female vocal create some sibilance too...

how are female vocal with those? and did bass is well rounded and define in punch enough or resonant in boom?
im very near ordering them...

Jan 27, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #12,460 of 12,592
So, im still listening to ISN H40, and they are my basshead crush right now. Bass is very big, chunky, rumbly, vibrant and very well carved in its body definition. Its not the fastest and a bit warm but very weighty....so yummy I just cant get enough.....

.....but the real critical impressions begin by pressing ''shuffle'' of my whole musicbee catalogue....right now its ''Marty Ehrlich travelers Tales'' jazz band, bass warm the mids quite alot, they feel a bit dark yet the tone is right and note weight is there. Saxophone sound phenomenal, natural, fowards and open. Acoustic guitar have a bit of over emphasis on low harmony, lack a bit of sparkle and brilliance as expected with balanced armature. While i was praising bass for soul, R&B, electronic, rap, for jazz i would like more definition and cleaner extension, here it add warm and chunkyness to contrabass, which isn't very textured yet...i do enjoy this track...
Now Celeste singer come in, and her vocal are super fowards, lush, thick, very beautifull just wow...so, for female vocal their no doubt these are excellent, if i force myself to pick up something when she go breathy we have slight timbre texture boost that feel too much.
Now its ''Mussorgsky: The Nursery''. Piano+Soprano. Piano sound great, not the most define and texture yet every note sound full and weighty. This kind of soprano singer will go screamy with too boosted pinna gain, here its smooth yet dynamic, its very soft, no timbral imbalance like Celeste so it might be the recording (mic to near her lips for this very song).
Now its Pierre Hantai playing Scarlatti on Clavecin, as expected, its a bit too dark and lacking brilliance, crispness, airyness and natural resonance to play properly this instrument. It sound full, but not enough metallic.
Now its a String quartet. Very beautiful violin timbre and fullness with good layering, when they do pizzicato it lack a bit of bite but thats about it, its very smooth and lush yet not dark.
OK. I come out of these tracks even more impress by tone, timbre and cohesion of tuning and drivers, for a bassy IEM, these are very versatile. Might be the perfect upgrade to something like Audiosense AQ4 but i need to do proper ABing.
327153663_569567288391758_151172959622444666_n.jpg
326869314_540788531159226_6264000251548344426_n.jpg

Jan 27, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #12,461 of 12,592
Ikko OH10 is also often recommended, great build and looks. The bass here also goes away faster than what I prefer(to little mid bass energy).

A alternative I recently found out is Penon FAN, very similar to OH10 but fixes 2 key issues I have with OH10.

FAN has a more Audiophile type of bass, not excessive amount. Similar to OH10 but a little more and more mid bass slam.

interesting graph, the Fan1 seem hint warmer than Fan2....which i hope to test asap to know if Penon have bad IEMs too!
Penon Vortex is great but not enough bassy to be consider Basshead, yet, bass quality is sure there...
Penon 2 graph:
11405953.jpg

Jan 27, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #12,462 of 12,592
IMG_20230127_155100~2.jpg
IMG_20230127_155126~2.jpg

The Definitive Bass Head iem from IMR acoustics IMR BC (2023) coming with 7 sets of tuning filters to dial in your preferred bass and treble. And 2 cables in large hard case l. These are brand new and sound thunderous out of the box all IMR iem improve significantly with burn in so will be running these for 200 or so hours between popping them in to enjoy.

Jan 27, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #12,463 of 12,592
IMG_20230127_155100~2.jpgIMG_20230127_155126~2.jpg

The Definitive Bass Head iem from IMR acoustics IMR BC (2023) coming with 7 sets of tuning filters to dial in your preferred bass and treble. And 2 cables in large hard case l. These are brand new and sound thunderous out of the box all IMR iem improve significantly with burn in so will be running these for 200 or so hours between popping them in to enjoy.
im curious about burn in, do you feel bass stabilize and become less excited in boom after proper burn in?
some of my IEM go from basshead to more balanced bassy after burn in. Ikko Oh1 for ex, even Penon Serial...

Jan 27, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #12,464 of 12,592

FAN_2_E70.jpgScreenshot_20230127-061142.png

Jan 27, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #12,465 of 12,592
im curious about burn in, do you feel bass stabilize and become less excited in boom after proper burn in?
some of my IEM go from basshead to more balanced bassy after burn in. Ikko Oh1 for ex, even Penon Serial...
Imr drivers are very stiff and need burn in to loosen up after burn the bass gains texture and nuance the whole sound get more spacious the mids sweeten and the treble improves I was very sceptical of burn till I started getting IMR iems.

Interestingly IMR don't do crossovers they just let the drivers blend through the tuning process. This may be why the burn in makes such a difference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back