Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Feb 28, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #12,181 of 12,596
Wow I just checked out that set, 16 drivers, jeez, and for that price... though I've tried the kz v sound and I do like it, after using the legacy 3 and other darker iems, I'd personally rather not get another particularly bright iem. the zs10 pro and such are not so bad but the legacy 3s are more relaxed to me and I love that a lot

I've eyed the ibasso too, but I got the impression that my current l3's are able to satisfy my filthy basshead cravings with eq (which they don't quite do, though they are definitely impressive) just as much if not more than the ibassos with eq
The FiiO FH3 is another one to consider. I do not recommend the FD1, given what your stated preferences are.

Mar 1, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #12,182 of 12,596
by filterless, do you mean yours has it's wax guard removed? Idk if I'd be willing to do that if I ever got a set haha, and Im the kind of user to take a dynamic driver out and try and tune it, like with the dt 770 driver diaphram next to my keyboard rn lol

I was sold on the ex1000s at that price, but when I went back to that link just now, it looks like somebody's swiped it up already😅 how often do deals like that pop up? I imagine not so often but I'd be happy to wait a month or few to wait for another chance.

Also question to others, whilst looking around for info, I came across the dunu dd sets, they look like modern reincarnations of the sony sets, how are they? I've still my eyes on the sonys but I haven't heard about any of the dunu dd sets from the perspective of someone who listens to any bass centered music
By filterless I mean that the foam iniside the nozzle was removed (not by me, the previous user did that).

I bought my EX1000 for 250 usd and that price is very cheap.

But yes, if you just want bass quantity without caring about quality, the EX800ST will be the better option as you can stack both EQ AND the tape mod together. (you still need power though.)

The Dunu Zen (havent heard the others) does have more bass quantity in stock than the EX800ST/EX1000 but better bass quality. But you cant tape mod it and it doesnt respond that well to bass EQ. So it isnt a basshead iem to me.

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #12,183 of 12,596
Z5 is definitely basshead level but not stock. You need eq and power.. and this IS the basshead thread, so folks know this is standard.. right?

edit (800st) beats the 1000 easily at being basshead. But still, the 1000 sounds better with some eq overall.
Well, when you put it like that, yeah sure.
In Stock mode, they're balance sounding & yes, i observed they are guzzlers. They like power, i have to use my E12 when i auditioned a pair....

Mar 3, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #12,184 of 12,596
There are lots of z5's around for sale in Japan it seems, not so many ex1000/ex800st's and the few around used are sometimes in pretty damaged condition... good enough for me

Still wondering now between the 1000 and 800, to people who have tried both, is the 1000 still capable of matching the bass of the 800 (tape + eq) using just eq? Lots of people seem to share the idea that the 1000's are the be all end all in this route, but if I get it and I have to tone down the treble and am unable to reach ex800st bass also then I'm not sure if it's worth the extra. Also, if the paint chips off, then the magnesium seems more vulnerable than plastic?

Oh last question also (I think lol) with regards to amping, the max power I'm gonna be able to give it will come from a btr5 or qudelix 5k, balanced, so is one iem or the other better suited for this lower power limit? Lower compared to what some of you seem to use at least

I've found listing for either one now but just stuck in analysis paralysis haha

Mar 3, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #12,185 of 12,596
There are lots of z5's around for sale in Japan it seems, not so many ex1000/ex800st's and the few around used are sometimes in pretty damaged condition... good enough for me

Still wondering now between the 1000 and 800, to people who have tried both, is the 1000 still capable of matching the bass of the 800 (tape + eq) using just eq? Lots of people seem to share the idea that the 1000's are the be all end all in this route, but if I get it and I have to tone down the treble and am unable to reach ex800st bass also then I'm not sure if it's worth the extra. Also, if the paint chips off, then the magnesium seems more vulnerable than plastic?

Oh last question also (I think lol) with regards to amping, the max power I'm gonna be able to give it will come from a btr5 or qudelix 5k, balanced, so is one iem or the other better suited for this lower power limit? Lower compared to what some of you seem to use at least

I've found listing for either one now but just stuck in analysis paralysis haha
Are you seeing the Z5s on ebay?

Funnily never popped into this thread as I've never considered myself a basshead, yet I've been rocking the Z5s for 6 years(well until the right bud DIED last week. RIP). I've never considered the Z5s to be super bassy, but I'm now re-evaluating my own status....a recovering bass-head? :beyersmile:

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #12,186 of 12,596

Funnily never popped into this thread as I've never considered myself a basshead, yet I've been rocking the Z5s for 6 years(well until the right bud DIED last week. RIP). I've never considered the Z5s to be super bassy, but I'm now re-evaluating my own status....a recovering bass-head? :beyersmile:
I've come close on the Z5s but never pulled the trigger. I have the 800STs though and like them a lot. I've been told that you have to be careful buying the Z5s second hand because of the earpiece connectors.

Mar 3, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #12,187 of 12,596

No, I've been looking around on Japanese sites lately

And unlucky, you know what the issue is? Like, if it's a connector/wire/driver issue

And I guess when people call it basshead, they mean 'basshead capable' with eq or something?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #12,188 of 12,596
No, I've been looking around on Japanese sites lately

And unlucky, you know what the issue is? Like, if it's a connector/wire/driver issue

And I guess when people call it basshead, they mean 'basshead capable' with eq or something?

Driver issue - right bud just died, definitely not the MMCX connector. Fickle things.

I mean the Z5s do slam a lot - there are a few tracks where it's a bit too much, but I bought them as I like a darker signature. I just didn't realise I am a deep down basshead....

Mar 7, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #12,189 of 12,596
Are iems in each package pair matched specifically? like, would it be a bad idea to get one left and right separately from 2 different sets? They got sold already but I had a chance to get a set of sony ex800st's for about £80 with separately bought adapters/ cable but each earpiece was sold from 2 separate sets used

Mar 7, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #12,190 of 12,596
Hi, good evening from Night locked-down Amsterdam full of bored Police-hunters.

Does anyone know what removing EX800ST filters and the 'ear-wax cover' does with the (sub) bass, specifically under 100 Hz? I could only find some info that it increases treble, clarity, removes muffled sound, widens stage etc.

I have the tape mod applied, it is awesome.

The spout, after removal of the above filters and cover becomes wider. Any ideas?

I asked in EX800ST thread but no one knowwws :zap::pill::zap:. THX!!!

Mar 7, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #12,191 of 12,596
Are iems in each package pair matched specifically? like, would it be a bad idea to get one left and right separately from 2 different sets? They got sold already but I had a chance to get a set of sony ex800st's for about £80 with separately bought adapters/ cable but each earpiece was sold from 2 separate sets used
I have read that EX800ST are pair matched before officially sold. But I also believe that the difference as per your question would be VERY hard to notice especially when you are really focusing on Bass overload.

Mar 7, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #12,192 of 12,596

AFAIK, there is variability in the manufacturing process for headphones, so good manufacturers will channel-match each pair within a certain tolerance, but different sets won't necessarily be identical- there is risk involved in mixing & matching different pairs.

Crinacle's website is pretty handy since he often measures several sets of the same model. If I were going to mix & match from any company, Sony is probably one of the safer bets as they have impressive consistency, even with some of their cheapest IEMs (just look at the five sets of 755 measured here, a free pack-in IEM no less - https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/sony-mh755/ ).

Here you can see the ex800, there is some variability, but maybe not so much as it would be audible : https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/sony-mdr-ex800st/

But still it is a risk (also make sure you get a L and a R since they have different shapes).

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #12,193 of 12,596
Thanks for the I think I'll stay away from buying two separate iems and just know I have 2 of a set.

Whilst browsing e-earphone further, I've run into the xba-h3 and a3 iems from sony also, and I dont see as much talk surrounding these, even a set of xba-h3's for around £50 (heavy cosmetic damage and no cable though, neither of which bother me) and how do these sets compare to the often talked-about ex1000/ex800st's? I see online reviews of people praising the ex1000/800 sets to the hills and back but the xba-h3's and a3's seem to be a mixed bag of reactions, and I couldn't find any comparisons either

Mar 8, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #12,194 of 12,596
Thanks for the I think I'll stay away from buying two separate iems and just know I have 2 of a set.

Whilst browsing e-earphone further, I've run into the xba-h3 and a3 iems from sony also, and I dont see as much talk surrounding these, even a set of xba-h3's for around £50 (heavy cosmetic damage and no cable though, neither of which bother me) and how do these sets compare to the often talked-about ex1000/ex800st's? I see online reviews of people praising the ex1000/800 sets to the hills and back but the xba-h3's and a3's seem to be a mixed bag of reactions, and I couldn't find any comparisons either

I only demo'd H3/A3 along w/ Z5 in a noisy store but- IIRC they were a different type of tuning from the neutral-brightish ex- series, more like precursors to the "new" Sony sound, before they really nailed it with the current generation N3, M9, Z1R (IIRC some people who were fans of A3 didn't like the N3).

Personally wasn't too interested in them & prefer the newer gen (not being a huge basshead)- but for a budget minded curio collector, might be a fun way to try a16 mm DD IEM which seem unlikely to be made again- although obviously for the purposes of maximizing bass with EQ the people running this thread ended up favoring ex800 and z5.

I think I remember someone here was a fan of the smaller driver A1 or A2 model.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back