Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Oct 23, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #12,061 of 12,591
So basically extremely expensive ones, I have no doubt the bass texture is nice.
edited: looked at frequency response, I haven't heard those because I don't buy IEM's that expensive but comparisons are still nice.

The EE Phantom is the cheapest with 2 low BAs, but not much cheaper than the LX:

https://empireears.com/collections/ep-series/products/phantom-universal-in-ears

If you are willing to wait for AE's 11.11 sale, then the TFZ Secret Garden HD is a good pick for extreme bass...but also zippy treble (I modded mine by stuffing the vents with soft packing tape):

https://penonaudio.com/tfz-secret-garden.html

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #12,062 of 12,591
Good morning everyone
I've been out of the game for a while now, extremely happy with my Future Sonics Atrio M5 for the last 12(!) years - if I could go back in time, I would definitely recommend the build quality.

So the reason I'm here is that the wife put them through the washing machine and tumble dryer this morning and they are now a melted and tangled mess of plastic. I'm way out of the loop for what is good nowadays and making my way through the thread to try and catch up. Is there anyone that has an experience with the Atrio M5 that could recommend something similar (especially bass-wise) that's currently on the market?

Quick edit: I've just untangled them and by some miracle they still sound awesome despite the wrecked cable and damaged housings so more points for the build quality :D

https://www.spectrumseries.biz/

I have the G10 and the Atrio and the G10 is an upgrade if you wanna stick to the stock FS sound.

Oct 30, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #12,063 of 12,591
Salve, citizens!
I heard that sony mdr XB90EX is a true basshead earphone.
16mm dynamic driver can deliver great sub bass.
are XB90ex still highly regarded in 2020?

Oct 30, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #12,064 of 12,591
Hi, I have Topping NX4 DSD and Monolith THX AAA Portable. Have been using NX4 DSD for 6 months, but after extensive reading about Monolith I bought it yesterday and keep NX4 DSD as spare. I like deep bass a lot (drill rap mostly these days), but I prefer detailed, cold and analytical bass and sub-bass (not warm and boomy).

After trying Monolith, it is definitely an upgrade to NX4 regarding overall sound. I use it with Sony EX800ST (3Hz-20000Hz) IEMs. The sub-bass with Monolith goes definitely deeper and cleaner, it is not boomy as with NX4 DSD+bass boost.

Another thing is that NX4 DSD has bass roll-off under 20Hz, whereas Monolith is able to output 1Hz - 20000Hz. At the same time the detail in frequencies above bass is just insane compared to NX4 DSD, I actually started enjoying highs since Monolith as they are not cutting-in my eardrums as with NX4.

I have to agree that it all really depends on IEMs you use, Sony EX800ST can take 500mW, so the deep sub-bass under 20 Hz suddently sounds and also FEELS that it is there. RIP NX4 for now.
hello
I have a question regarding amp. monolith THX AAA and Topping NX4.
I need an amp for 2 purposes:
1. to amplify analog signal from my sony zx507 3.5mm (and 4.4mm if it's possible, as I love 4.4 more; is it possible?)
I want to save the sound of sony DAP. and just to amplify the signal.
will it do so? will it save eq tuning and beloved sony signature sound?
2) to amplify the signal of my laptop to increase the sound stage for such game as cs go.
will it do so so digital input? how good will be become soundstage?
will there be any time lag cause by amp's sound processing?
monolith looks as a nice candidate, doesn't it?

Oct 31, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #12,065 of 12,591
Salve, citizens!
I heard that sony mdr XB90EX is a true basshead earphone.
16mm dynamic driver can deliver great sub bass.
are XB90ex still highly regarded in 2020?
Of course! That fame precedes him with merits! Unfortunately, as far as I know, it is no longer manufactured. From time to time, you may find one in Japan, the market for which it was intended. I got mine and it keeps kicking hard !!

P.S. I see you have some for sale, no more love for them?

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #12,066 of 12,591
hello
I have a question regarding amp. monolith THX AAA and Topping NX4.
I need an amp for 2 purposes:
1. to amplify analog signal from my sony zx507 3.5mm (and 4.4mm if it's possible, as I love 4.4 more; is it possible?)
I want to save the sound of sony DAP. and just to amplify the signal.
will it do so? will it save eq tuning and beloved sony signature sound?
2) to amplify the signal of my laptop to increase the sound stage for such game as cs go.
will it do so so digital input? how good will be become soundstage?
will there be any time lag cause by amp's sound processing?
monolith looks as a nice candidate, doesn't it?

1. Both NX4 and Monolyth have only 3.5 mm in. And USB of course, which I use 100% of time.

Re. Saving the Sony signature ... I don't know:)

2. Definitely Monolyth with DIRAC turned ON. I connect with computer's USB C, but you get also USB A option. It makes HUGE difference for gaming with its DAC and DIRAC option. In Everspace (space shooter) you clearly hear positioning behind, above and below you with my IEMs, which I find absolutely amazing (soundstage). There is no lag.

Overall, if I were you, having both NX4 DSD and Monolyth, I would buy both and try for yourself as THX you can return without problems within 2 weeks, the same with NX4 if from Amazon.

Since I have Monolyth (I am definitely bass-head), I am doubting anything sounds better out in the market. It outputs 1Hz LOL...there is no roll off under 20 Hz !!!!

Let me know if I can help more...and if I understood your questions correctly.

Greetings from Amsterdam _\|/_

D.

Edited: only facts

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #12,067 of 12,591
Of course! That fame precedes him with merits! Unfortunately, as far as I know, it is no longer manufactured. From time to time, you may find one in Japan, the market for which it was intended. I got mine and it keeps kicking hard !!

P.S. I see you have some for sale, no more love for them?
hi, I decided to put them for sale when I discovered the inflated price for them on market a month ago.
I did not use them since 2017, because original plug died.
in early october 2020 I was repaired them. 3.5 plug changed. now they work fine. I was listening to them for a few weeks
I have been really missing that sound isolation and sub-bass presence on earphones.
why selling xb90ex?
I wanted xba z5 long ago, and a weeks ago 1 head fi member was selling z5, that's how I discovered the price of xb90ex when I google for used xba z5.
eventually I bought z5 in Ukraine 6 days ago.

I have no amplifier. and I believe my zx507 can't drive sub-bass on 100% on xb90ex. same with xba z5.
however I get connect xba z5 to 200 mw output on zx507. I will order a $35 dual female 3.5mm (L&R) to 4.4mm male adapter on monday to connect xba z5 to 200mw output on zx507. I tried fiio lc-re cable, however it's connection to left earphone was unstable regarding sound signal, and it was extremely hard to connect/disconnect mmcx on left earphone. right one was alright.
both mmcx are fine with original stock cable. (that's why I want adapter, to use with stock cable).

by the way, can xb90ex 3.5 plug be changed to 4.4mm 5pin one to use them with balanced output? or to do so entire chord should be changed?

Oct 31, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #12,068 of 12,591
1. Both NX4 and Monolyth have only 3.5 mm in. And USB of course, which I use 100% of time.

Re. Saving the Sony signature ... I don't know:)

2. Definitely Monolyth with DIRAC turned ON. I connect with computer's USB C, but you get also USB A option. It makes HUGE difference for gaming with its DAC and DIRAC option. In Everspace (space shooter) you clearly hear positioning behind, above and below you with my IEMs, which I find absolutely amazing (soundstage). There is no lag.

Overall, if I were you, having both NX4 DSD and Monolyth, I would buy both and try for yourself as THX you can return without problems within 2 weeks, the same with NX4 if from Amazon.

Since I have Monolyth (I am definitely bass-head), I am doubting anything sounds better out in the market. It outputs 1Hz LOL...there is no roll off under 20 Hz !!!!

Let me know if I can help more...and if I understood your questions correctly.

Greetings from Amsterdam _\|/_

D.

Edited: only facts
very grateful, sir!
yesterday I briefly read both amps descriptions. I assumed monolyth is what I need.
to amplify analog signal via 3.5to3.5 connection. (I believe u can check it) and
to increase the sound stage for csgo fps game.
I wanted confirmation from u. regarding cs go, I've understood that it's a good option. no lag confirmation is great!
I've already put an eye on monolyth.
however I need to choose one.
will it be monolyth or NX4? how do compare them? which one is better? power voltage outputs? as I understand both amps have warm sound signature?

Oct 31, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #12,069 of 12,591
very grateful, sir!
yesterday I briefly read both amps descriptions. I assumed monolyth is what I need.
to amplify analog signal via 3.5to3.5 connection. (I believe u can check it) and
to increase the sound stage for csgo fps game.
I wanted confirmation from u. regarding cs go, I've understood that it's a good option. no lag confirmation is great!
I've already put an eye on monolyth.
however I need to choose one.
will it be monolyth or NX4? how do compare them? which one is better? power voltage outputs? as I understand both amps have warm sound signature?

You are welcome.

Buy both, try, and keep Monolith LOL

Oct 31, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #12,070 of 12,591
hi, I decided to put them for sale when I discovered the inflated price for them on market a month ago.
in early october 2020 I was repaired them. 3.5 plug changed. now they work fine. I was listening to them for a few weeks
I have been really missing that sound isolation and sub-bass presence on earphones.
why selling xb90ex?
I wanted xba z5 long ago, and a weeks ago 1 head fi member was selling z5, that's how I discovered the price of xb90ex when I google for used xba z5.

I have no amplifier. and I believe my zx507 can't drive sub-bass on 100% on xb90ex. same with xba z5.
however I get connect xba z5 to 200 mw output on zx507. I will order a $35 dual female 3.5mm (L&R) to 4.4mm male adapter on monday to connect xba z5 to 200mw output on zx507. I tried fiio lc-re cable, however it's connection to left earphone was unstable regarding sound signal, and it was extremely hard to connect/disconnect mmcx on left earphone. right one was alright.
both mmcx are fine with original stock cable. (that's why I want adapter, to use with stock cable).

by the way, can xb90ex 3.5 plug be changed to 4.4mm 5pin one to use them with balanced output? or to do so entire chord should be changed?

When you reterminated the 3.5mm were there four wires or three wires? If there were four, you can reterminate it to balanced (4.4mm only uses 4 of the 5 pins). If not, you would have to replace the cable (or cut above the y-split and hack it together from there).

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #12,071 of 12,591
When you reterminated the 3.5mm were there four wires or three wires? If there were four, you can reterminate it to balanced (4.4mm only uses 4 of the 5 pins). If not, you would have to replace the cable (or cut above the y-split and hack it together from there).
I did not do it myself.

Nov 1, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #12,072 of 12,591
why selling xb90ex?

Oh, I see. With that Sony Z5 you will have more refined highs and mids.

I haven't seen anyone other than Hawaiibadboy do a cable change (Peterek's job) but it wasn't balanced.

Nov 1, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #12,073 of 12,591
Oh, I see. With that Sony Z5 you will have more refined highs and mids.

I haven't seen anyone other than Hawaiibadboy do a cable change (Peterek's job) but it wasn't balanced.
how much power is required to drive xb90ex properly (particularly sub-bass freq)? I assume 50mw is not enough, right?

Nov 1, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #12,074 of 12,591
how much power is required to drive xb90ex properly (particularly sub-bass freq)? I assume 50mw is not enough, right?
According to its specs the max input power is 200mw. I'm going to receive one from my friend and retrofit it for balanced 2.5mm jack and later test it with es100s 300mw output. Your assumption is correct, 50mw for a 16mm driver to drive it properly to basshead level is not enough. The same applies to Z5.

Nov 1, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #12,075 of 12,591
According to its specs the max input power is 200mw. I'm going to receive one from my friend and retrofit it for balanced 2.5mm jack and later test it with es100s 300mw output. Your assumption is correct, 50mw for a 16mm driver to drive it properly to basshead level is not enough. The same applies to Z5.
I tried my z5 with fiio lc-re cable to get to 200 mw of my zx507 4.4 output.
sub-bass is magnificent! cable was on sale $170 instead of 210.
however, it has issues with left connection with z5. not stable sound. and it was extremely hard to connect/disconnect left earphone.
with R it's ok. but left.. sony mmcx socket is big, fiio body of mmcx plug is small.
z5 stock cables have additional puzzles to connect mmcx in correct position.
therefore I've ordered this adapter today. $37.5 for 50 sm long. copper cover with silver. ataaudio on aliexpress.
moon audio offered me to make similar adapter for $165...
HTB1tklxecCNZ1JjSZFHq6z.kVXa6.jpg

how will u change the plug to balanced if zx90ex had only L+ R+ and Ground?
or u know it had L+ L- R+ R-?
by the way, what will happened if u push more than 200mW into xb90ex?
I had next experience with hifi ananda and mdr 1Am2, when I pushed volume above ~110-114(EQ subbass and bass freq maxed), zx507 automatically turned bass volume down.
thus to reach the maximum impact of bass, u need to turn down the voulme to ~100 and then go up to 108-112. not exceeding this lvl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back