Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Dec 31, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #11,851 of 12,597
Are you looking at getting into reviewing? Or really just trying to look at the Hobby a little more analytically? I'm trying to decide what exactly to do with this hobby now... I know I really like it, but I'm not sure if I really want to "see how the sausage gets made" so to speak since it's a very competitive, capitalistic industry versus what I'm used to working in utilities. if some of the stuff that goes on or is rumored is as unethical as it seems, it'd really probably ruin the hobby for me, and that would suck.

Heh. I'd make a terrible reviewer for many reasons. I have neither golden ears nor a golden ego, and I'm pretty sure you need one or both of those to really make a go of it.

In this case, I partly just wanted to get some of these thoughts out of my head to make more room for new nonsense :ksc75smile: and partly I figured that somebody else might have some of the same questions as me about the same gear and could find this a useful data point.

Dec 31, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #11,852 of 12,597
I thought my EJ07 and Lcd-i4 were basshead iems.

But after getting the Imr Rah, I now know the other two were merely appropriate bass. The Rah gives a different physical air moving bass experience altogether. Similar to my Final Audio e5000, but with more extension. The Rah has better upper mids and treble than the Final Audio E5000 (the e5000 is purposely a warm sound I believe)

EJ07 has a better instrument seperation and more psycho-acoustic effects that the others iem don't have (even the Shuoer Tape does not got it). It is the best in this aspect.

But I enjoy the Imr Rah overall more than the EJ07 because of the bass that moves even more.

The Lcd-i4 has an amazing tuning (when EQ'd) , but it has no psycho-acoustic effects to its sound. And the bass is very appropriate, but doesn't have the same effect as the Rah. No psycho-acoustic effects in treble, and no air movement in the bass. But the bass is so clean and controlled from the Lcd-i4.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #11,853 of 12,597
I thought my EJ07 and Lcd-i4 were basshead iems.

But after getting the Imr Rah, I now know the other two were merely appropriate bass. The Rah gives a different physical air moving bass experience altogether. Similar to my Final Audio e5000, but with more extension. The Rah has better upper mids and treble than the Final Audio E5000 (the e5000 is purposely a warm sound I believe)

EJ07 has a nice seperation and more psycho-acoustic effects that the others iem don't have (even the Shuoer Tape does not got it).

But I enjoy the Imr Rah overall more than the EJ07 because of the bass.

The Lcd-i4 has any amazing tuning (when EQ'd) , but it has no psycho-acoustic effects to its sound. And the bass is very appropriate, but doesn't have the same effect as the Rah.
I always kind of chuckle when people describe planars as basshead.... At least for me, that air movement superiority from a good, large-ish DD just cannot be matched by a planar or BA.The air the DD is moving just adds another dimension to the music that cannot be made up by the better transient response of a planar or BA because it simply goes MIA without the air movement.

Jan 6, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #11,854 of 12,597
Some time ago tested my Polaris v2 via balanced cable (from Fiio F9). Last week without portable amp, only high gain on Dap.

The most pronounced improvements are in soundstage, even more spacious, treble more crisp and vocals more clear while keeping the same punch and low bass powah even if some people said that balanced improve a little and anothers think that can't change nothing...for me is a game changer.

Driyp Drop - Put you on that (original version) and the bass hurts even without portable amp but I tested too with E12(not the best for Iem's...hiss... but is what I have).

I think in that price range there isn't better options for basshead Iem's with detail in all aspects and I consider to buy the Atlas soon to pair maybe with a new dap too (expecting some serious huge improvement...impacient)

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 6:12 PM Post #11,855 of 12,597
even if some people said that balanced improve a little and anothers think that can't change nothing...for me is a game changer.

The issue is just that people conflate balanced, generally, with balanced in specific implementations driving specific IEMs/headphones.

Some IEMs need power, and some DAPs/amps will dliver that power in balanced but not in single-ended. While others will have ample power in single-ended. And some balanced implementations happen to be better than some single-ended implementations on some devices, while on others there is minimal or no difference.

Jan 8, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #11,856 of 12,597
The issue is just that people conflate balanced, generally, with balanced in specific implementations driving specific IEMs/headphones.

Some IEMs need power, and some DAPs/amps will dliver that power in balanced but not in single-ended. While others will have ample power in single-ended. And some balanced implementations happen to be better than some single-ended implementations on some devices, while on others there is minimal or no difference.

Yes you are right and It's a bit similar with big cans like M100 with only an amp then
are less dark, mids with more presence and treble shine a bit more and the soundstage is a bit wider.

So then with a good Dap that can output well in balanced with good sounding Iem's can improve even more all his virtues.

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #11,857 of 12,597
That is the caveat there, I've not personally heard the Atlas (10mm ADLC) but there are larger DLC drivers out there that are basshead tuned so it makes it a very hard sell at it's price unless you believe in CA sound voodoo. Others I've talked to about them have been less than impressed at the value proposition and say the bass is equivalent on the tfz no.3 or moondrop kxxs in the right hands. DLC sets have come way way down in price so the Atlas is a bit stale at this point IMO.

The legend x has a 10 way crossover. I don't know the size of it's dual DD "subs" but it does sounds amazing in both extension, quality and quantity. The 10 way crossover allowed it to do weird things when EQd, making it forgiving and flexible to an extent I've not heard on anything. It's definitely worth a listen, but giving diminishing returns, I don't think it's worth 46x the cost of the bqeyz bq3....

If cost is no object the legend x would be in my collection. People also speak highly of the hyla te5b which I've not heard nor do I know much about...

In reality Atlas have the same amount of Bass than Polaris v2, but Atlas are the TOTL CA basshead audiophile Iem's if someone isn't angry because like a little pervy that I am I decide to try to marry bassheads with audiophiles. And yes here it's all about bass but must audition both.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #11,858 of 12,597
Clear Bass from Walkman app in negatives values (-2 in my situation with specific Iem's and a portable amp high gain bass boost on with Eq down and highs upper but on the negative side too on my rooted Dap).

Best clean bass in terms of quantity/quality and I know that some of you can think it's very basic...and clear bass isn't something too much special but maybe cool (because happens to me the same in the past) even more in negatives values...maybe but some continue EQ'ing up and the result is worst than this very easier option.

Even if you think I'm wrong Eq up it's the worst you can do and this way is surprising that even I tested with my Svs sb-1000 and best bass impact subbass and overall better with a sealed sub! that remember past and present and never hit my chest like now for who think a sealed like these can't and know it because others user tried without good results.

Test it with Iem's...sub or 15$ bluetooth speaker you decide or not or think you're a pro, doesn't matter to me I continue hitting my chest right now.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #11,859 of 12,597
Clear Bass from Walkman app in negatives values (-2 in my situation with specific Iem's and a portable amp high gain bass boost on with Eq down and highs upper but on the negative side too on my rooted Dap).

Best clean bass in terms of quantity/quality and I know that some of you can think it's very basic...and clear bass isn't something too much special but maybe cool (because happens to me the same in the past) even more in negatives values...maybe but some continue EQ'ing up and the result is worst than this very easier option.

Even if you think I'm wrong Eq up it's the worst you can do and this way is surprising that even I tested with my Svs sb-1000 and best bass impact subbass and overall better with a sealed sub! that remember past and present and never hit my chest like now for who think a sealed like these can't and know it because others user tried without good results.

Test it with Iem's...sub or 15$ bluetooth speaker you decide or not or think you're a pro, doesn't matter to me I continue hitting my chest right now.
I don't know about others but I'm not sure what is the message above.
Is this saying that with using EQ to get "Best clean bass in terms of quantity/quality" the EQ frequency values (dB) need to be lowered? I'm assuming for the lower frequency range (approximately 0 to 125 Hz)?
Something like this picture? Capture+_2020-01-24-16-17-32.png

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #11,860 of 12,597
I don't know about others but I'm not sure what is the message above.
Is this saying that with using EQ to get "Best clean bass in terms of quantity/quality" the EQ frequency values (dB) need to be lowered? I'm assuming for the lower frequency range (approximately 0 to 125 Hz)?
Something like this picture?
I believe he is saying to EQ the remaining frequencies down lower versus boosting the bass frequencies to have a better bass response. Personally, and I have been listening to and using EQ for 40+ years, boosting any frequency is not a crime and as long as your amplifier has the headroom and capability to drive the output without distortion or clipping you should be fine.

But to each his/her own - don't want to start a big debate about boosting vs cutting in the EQ process. Let your ears guide you.

Cheers,
Tim

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #11,861 of 12,597
I believe he is saying to EQ the remaining frequencies down lower versus boosting the bass frequencies to have a better bass response. Personally, and I have been listening to and using EQ for 40+ years, boosting any frequency is not a crime and as long as your amplifier has the headroom and capability to drive the output without distortion or clipping you should be fine.

But to each his/her own - don't want to start a big debate about boosting vs cutting in the EQ process. Let your ears guide you.

Cheers,
Tim
That makes sense. My significantly less experience matches yours.
Thank you for the clarification.

Jan 25, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #11,862 of 12,597

Cheers,
Tim
Yeah, doesn't really matter in something like the hiby EQ where you set the gain yourself. So long as you lower the gain greater than your max +db number you're fine. Most other EQs drop the gain automatically a certain amount to compensate. Not to say necessarily to the level they let you EQ (usually + or - 10-12db) but it generally covers most people.

Jan 25, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #11,863 of 12,597
Normally bass is the hardest section of a headphone to eq.

Only stuff like Audeze Planar's do a better job at eqing bass.

So it is usually easier to touch the rest of the spectrum instead.

Jan 30, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #11,864 of 12,597
My beloved Sony XB90 have finally failed and so have been sold as spares or repair.

So guys:

Sony XB75 or JVC FX99

I hear both are good. Either way I need to import from Japan to UK.

Source is Sansa Clip+ and material is techno and house. I need that XB90 like subbass in my life again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back